Bellator MMA 154 - Davis vs. King Mo

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Bellator roll out one of their 'tent pole' events Saturday so i thought it would be worthy of it's own discussion thread.

Whilst Bellator get heavily criticized for selling these shows using the freak show factor, they are very much selling this one on the strength of some top MMA fighters, be interesting to see how it fayres ratings wise compared to the Kimbo show, as well as the fact that they are going up against the loaded UFC 198 on the same day.

Bellator-154-e1455939384346.jpg

the show took a bit hit last week when Thomson/Chandler dropped off due to an injury to Thomson (some things never change), so it lines up like this:

I expect this to be on Spike TV over the weekend, i'll try finding out about that.

Phil Davis vs. King Mo

Josh Appelt vs. Sergei Kharitanov

Saad Awad vs. Cyborg Santos

Andre Fialho vs. Rick Reger

Adam Picolloti vs. Ray Wood

Main card really suffers from losing Chandler/Thomson, it looks like they've just bumped up a fight from the usually weak undercard. Still a real solid main event along with the debut of Sergei Kharitanov and the revived Cyborg Santos has my attention.

Really hoping Kharitanov is coming in taking this thing seriously, he could kick start a bit of a resurgence for the Bellator heavyweight division.

• Paid Members

i ain't 100% sure why they've gone down this route. Basically Davis/Mo was meant to be the tournament final, but Mo got injured so they are doing the final now with the winner getting McGeary. Perhaps McGeary is injured?

• Paid Members

i ain't 100% sure why they've gone down this route. Basically Davis/Mo was meant to be the tournament final, but Mo got injured so they are doing the final now with the winner getting McGeary. Perhaps McGeary is injured?

Yeah, I think he is. I remember reading on here that that's why he isn't on the London card.

• Paid Members

wasn't aware of the fact when i started the thread that Jordan Parson's was meant to be on this show before his death last week :(

edit* Sergei Kharitanov is also off the card, he's come down with an illness.

Anyone catch this? A shit load of one sided affairs, then a decent Davis/King Mo fight, Mo was fortunate Davis's time was running out when he got dropped.

I flicked on Davis vs Mo. I had Mo winning 29-28, as did all 3 pundits who did the Sherdog play by play. The 2nd round was close though, so I can see why Davis got the nod - just not 30-27 like two judges had it. 

I wouldn't say Mo was fortunate. Time didn't really run out on Davis, as Mo was out of Davis's clutches when the 3rd round expired. 

• Paid Members

Anyone catch this? A shit load of one sided affairs, then a decent Davis/King Mo fight, Mo was fortunate Davis's time was running out when he got dropped.

that was just an unfortunate case of Bellator losing 3/5's of it's main card within 2 weeks of the show, they basically put a few prelims and a last minute fight on the main card.

Main event was good though, first two rounds weren't overly exciting but it was an intriguing fight, anyone who gets into a striking battle with Phil Davis is in for a frustrating night because he throws odd shots and never stands still long enough to really be hit clean, it's not pretty but it's weirdly effective. I actually had it even going into round 3 and obviously Davis won the 3rd round big. So 29-28 Davis for me. Davis/McGeary is a gonna be a wild mesh of styles, good fight.

Highlight of the prelims was the Portugese prospect Andre Fialho. As soon as you hear a quote like 'i think im the best in the world right now' it peaks my interest, either to see how good he is, or to possibly see him fall flat on his face. Looks a right prospect though, super relaxed and real accurate, powerful striker, keep an eye on him 8-0 now with 8 finishes.

Archived