Good Early UFC Events

bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Got the UFC Fightpass again to look at some of the early stuff. I've already watched the first and second one years ago, which old events should I be diving into next and why? Thanks for helping a novice!

• Paid Members

Dunno about specific events. I dont think there were any real must-see early events in the old UFC days other than watching some fights for the historical significance. I did always love UFC 6 though, Tank Abbott wrecking shop.

Fight Pass has a pretty cool Fight of the Night section though which lists the best fights from each UFC events upto the modern day.

• Paid Members

Depends how early you're talking.

3, as Jim says, is worth a watch (or if not, at least watch the opener - Keith Hackney vs Emanuel Yarbrough). 6, as Egg says, is good fun. Ultimate Ultimate 96 is really good as well. Good tournament with past tournament champions (and Tank Abbott), a really exciting and short final plus a quality promo from Scott Ferrozzo thrown in for good measure.

If you want to go slightly later, UFC 17 and 22 are quality. 17 has some great fights - Hendo vs Newton is a real forgotten gem IMO, early Chuck Liddell and Pete Williams kicking Mark Coleman's face off. And 22 has the tremendous Frank Shamrock vs Tito Ortiz fight which was one of the best fights in the sport's history at that point.

Edit - I loved UFC 8 as well, with the whole David vs Goliath theme. That's the one where Gary Goodridge nearly murders Paul Herrera with those brutal elbows as well.

• Paid Members

Yeah I haven't seen it in years but I remember really enjoying that Ken Shamrock vs Kimo fight at UFC 8. One of Shamrock's better fights, as I recall.

Don Frye breaking Thomas Ramirez's 7,000-0 win streak ("On the Island"), in 8 seconds, is an earth shattering moment in the history and development of MMA as well. It's a must see.

I'm pretty sure UFC 8 is the one where a fight breaks out in the crowd, isn't it? The cameras briefly pick up Mark Coleman trying to break it up by basically shoving fuckers about like shopping trolleys.

Archived