Best things in Wrestling this decade

tiger_rick

If it didn't make you want to tune in and watch it all unfold, you might be just a little too jaded for this sports entertainment lark.

Or, you saw through it completely and knew that if Cena did the right thing and thus got "fired" he'd be back within a few weeks. What with the heel authority figure edict of "wrestler doesn't do X, they get fired" scenario being old hat by then. Fuck all to do with jaded, six years later I'm still enjoying wrestling, but didn't buy into a Cena vacation lasting longer than six weeks if he refused to let the kids down.

Love those generalizations. My Twitter feed routinely gets polluted with "If you didn't like latest indy wankfest of people kicking out of top rope piledrivers in front of 20 people, you can't call yourself a wrestling fan!!1"

That escalated quickly...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

I remember people being really annoyed about how quickly Cena came back - and same with Punk in 2011 - and it's interesting to see how perceptions of that kind of thing have changed. Listening to the Monday Night War timelines on SCG, during that era if someone who'd been "fired" took two weeks to come back it'd almost be too long! It's a different set of circumstances with the War and the fast paced nature of things back then, but coming back after a fortnight wouldn't have been out of place in that environment at all.

• Paid Members

Raid is right about the generalisations though. I didn't want to watch that angle because I didn't buy that Cena was going to go through enough shit to make his eventual victory worthwhile. Haven't really been interested in anything Cena does for quite some time - he's one of the best in the world, but I just can't stick his character. He's truly switch-off material for me now. None of that means that, at the time of that angle, I was too jaded for wrestling.

• Paid Members

Raid is right about the generalisations though. I didn't want to watch that angle because I didn't buy that Cena was going to go through enough shit to make his eventual victory worthwhile. Haven't really been interested in anything Cena does for quite some time - he's one of the best in the world, but I just can't stick his character. He's truly switch-off material for me now. None of that means that, at the time of that angle, I was too jaded for wrestling.

If you don't love John Cena, you're too jaded for wrestling!

I didn't love that angle either. I enjoyed the bit after it where there was a world of possibility and the thought of Juan Cena under a mask coming in as a hokey Midnight Rider knock off was bed-wettingly exciting. But the second he was on TV the next week in his own gear - it was clearly never going anywhere. The bit where they forced him to wear the Nexus stuff was powerful but the whole thing was too short and generally unmemorable.

Altogether too much has been made of a throwaway line at the end of my post there. It was all intended in the spirit of this thread - ie, arguing that the last ten years haven't been as bad as many outside this forum appear to believe.

If you disagree with my example then fair enough, but there's no need to take personal affront to the "too jaded" remark when it was aimed at no one in particular and is positively tame compared to the comments that get thrown around on this board every day with nary the batting of an eyelid.

So anyway, yeah... Cesaro losing a match, or something. :thumbsup:

Archived