UFC 196: McGregor vs Diaz

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

3 mins into episode 2. Nate Diaz claiming he's been into movement coaching since he started training whilst at the same time looking about as flexible as your Nan. :p

• Paid Members

McGregor media scrum from yesterday;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=MTUcV5Hx57c

The Diaz, Holm and Tate scrums are all on MMA Fighting's YouTube as well.

McGregor touches on a title fight with Lawler there. Sounds like that's the frontrunner for what he wants to do next if he wins this fight with Nate. Very respectful of Lawler as well. Probably the nicest I've ever seen him talk about a potential opponent.

There'll be a press conference today, yeah? There usually is on the Thursday of fight week.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Nate seems happy. I'm sure it's the money. He's been complaining about money forever and he's never been fortunate enough to get the big paydays like his brother had against the likes of GSP and Anderson. This is probably a life changing fight for Nate financially, win or lose.

Plus he's not cutting a bunch of weight like he was when he was all grumpy on some of his previous fight weeks. He looked drained as fuck before some of his fights at 155. This must be a dream come true for Nate. Big money, easy weight cut, an opponent who's going to do the bulk of the promotion for the fight. Yeah, he's probably getting laid out Saturday night but y'know.

The closer it gets, the more I'm picturing a Nate win.

Not in a 'this guy is clearly better' way, but in a 'maybe his reach and boxing keeps Conor out' kind of way.

It'd be a really deflating way for the party to end.

• Paid Members

I remember thinking Cowboy was too varied a striker and was going to fuck Nate up. How wrong I was. The fact is, when Nate's up for it and can let loose because he's not worried about being taken down, he's a fucking handful.

I still can't see him winning this though. I just think McGregor will be too quick for him, too accurate, and we don't know what kind of shape Nate was in when the call came. Nate's tough as fuck, and at 170 maybe McGregor's punches won't carry quite so much power. Who the fuck knows? Maybe Nate will be able to last a while. But I see him getting a bit of a beating.

He'll give it a good old bash, he won't shy away, but I see McGregor busting him up and stopping him inside two rounds. It will be interesting to see how McGregor does against Nate's frame though. If you look at McGregor's UFC fights - Aldo, Mendes, Siver, Brandao, Poirier - they're all either smaller/stockier or around McGregor's size (Poirier). The one time he fought a lanky opponent was the Holloway fight and, while I know McGregor suffered the knee injury mid-fight, McGregor wasn't getting his big strikes off quite as easily that night as he has in his other UFC fights so far. Even before the injury. He was winning the fight comfortably, don't get me wrong, but he seemed to be having to work a bit harder to get in range with Holloway.

• Paid Members

I wonder how much extra cash fighters like Nate make by going up against Conor compared to their usual run ins. I assumed that unless you had PPV points in your contract, you'd still be making your flat deal... Maybe a little extra here for the increased media and a chunk  especially for filling in on such short notice.

I'd love to know how they work all that out and what Nate is actually getting.

It's absolutely madness to think Conor was on the dole just over 2 years ago. Insane. 

• Paid Members

I don't know how it works.

I know Rogan said on the podcast recently that Aldo made around $5mil for the McGregor fight though. Of course, Nate won't be getting that. Aldo vs McGregor was heavily hyped for a year and Aldo was the long reigning champion so would've been on a bigger contract anyway. But no doubt this will be Nate's biggest career payday to date. Probably the most money he's ever going to make in his life, if we're honest.

But yeah, I'd like to know the figure Nate's getting for this. I hope it's huge. Like him or not he's been so entertaining for the last 9 years he's been in the UFC. Personally, when I see Nate Diaz's name on a card it adds something. It's cool to see a guy like that bagging a big payday like this.

• Paid Members

It's probably bollocks, but I read that Nate is garuanteed $500,000, with another $100,000 if he wins. He'll probably get double that when all is said and done though. Conor kept congratulating him on becoming a millionaire at the press conference and not once did Nate challenge him on it. Good for Nate. I'd let Conor McGregor knock me out for that type of money.

Archived