MMA Event of the Year 2014

HarmonicGenerator

MMA Event of the Year 2014  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Awards Moderator

LAST YEAR'S WINNER: UFC 168

The nominations have been counted, now it's time to vote for your MMA event of the year for 2014!

Feel free to give reasons for your choice below.

The shortlist is:

UFC 171

UFC 178

UFC 181

UFC DUBLIN

UFC FIGHT NIGHT: BISPING VS. ROCKHOLD

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Can't believe a card main evented by Mighty Mouse was my event of the year, but I had to go UFC 178. As much as I loved the all-action aspect of UFN: Bisping vs. Rockhold, these fights meant more to the UFC landscape.

Every fight on the main card delivered. Nunes vs. Zingano I believe was the best women's fight yet under the UFC banner. Romero vs. Kennedy was crazy and controversial, and featured a fighter I dislike getting smashed by one I like. McGregor showcased how amazing he is by destroying Poirier, Alvarez made an impressive UFC debut but faded against the awesome Donald Cerrone, and the night was capped off by Johnson mowing down Cariaso as expected.

And Cruz made a storybook comeback against Mizugaki in the prelim headliner, making me a fan in the process. 

MMA at its best when much of the year showed the sport at its worst.

• Paid Members

178 for the reasons Shane O already gave. No need to parrot it.

Dublin had the best crowd all year...well maybe ever in the UFC. But 178 smoked it for actual fights to me. McGregor KOing Brandao in Dublin was a great moment, but 178 had McGregor KOing a better opponent in Dustin Poirier. Aside from McGregor's fight, the Dublin card wasn't anything earth shattering really. Some good fights but that card was all about one moment. And that was the main event.

181 would be my runner up for that fantastic double main event of Hendricks-Lawler 2 and Pettis vs Melendez.