RIP Menahem Golan

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

Menahem Golan, the man along with Yoram Globus who created Cannon, has died aged 85.

He's partly responsible for bringing up some of the best and worst movies of the 80's, along with making Chuck Norris an household name.

American Ninja, Invasion USA, Avenging Force, Missing in Action, Cobra, the list goes on and on. Helped me through my darkest teenage strife years, and even now entertain the hell out of me.

RIP and thanks.

• Paid Members

I'll admit that I'm not familiar with the name, but those films made up a significant proportion of my teenage / early twenties viewing habits.

It may not be as iconic as that of 20th Century Fox or Universal, but I'd put this on par with Imperial Entertainment, Medusa, UIP, etc..

tumblr_m1vus5x5Vf1roqwwzo1_500_zps6fb51b

• Paid Members

A shame. Did some bloody brilliant films in the 80s. Lot more than you think.

Some of the stuff Cannon was knocking out after 1989 was abysmal though. Absolutely abysmal. Lost the plot right at the end trying to find the next Van Damme and Chuck Norris.

Cannon was also a cinema chain as well in the 80s too. One in Glasgow used to be where the ABC Cinema was at the end of Sauchiehall Street. Company certainly got about.

RIP

EDIT: How could I forget he directed the mad "Delta Force" with Chuck Norris and a surly Lee Marvin?

• Paid Members

I think that that Nottingham's old ABC cinema was a Cannon. I had the book about Golan and Globus' Cannon, and they really played some shenanigans to turn a "profit". Essentially, they were snowballing each year, scheduling more films and projecting "profits" to cover the eventual losses of their earlier production slate.

Archived