Launching a kickstarter book on the history of football management gam

icwkev

• Paid Members

i'll never forget my dad trying to talk me out of getting a management game when i was little...his thinking being that i didnt understand that i woudlnt actually be playing the games. I didnt listen though :)

i alwyas used to play a management game on the ol' Amstrad with my mate (ill try finding out the name), but we were that young and stupid we always thought that once a player got injured and left you in a position where we needed to make a substitution meant it was game over. We only ever got about 4-5 games in and would start again.

The first Championship Manager was a true life changing experience though, i dread to think how many hours i put into it. The first i actually owned was the Bundesliga version of the first one, another mate had England and another Italy. It was all seperate back then.

• Paid Members

I've got a terrible attention span, so I never follow anything through — the most prolonged obsession I think I've ever had is with Champ Man 2 (1994) — my dad managed his company's office relocation, and they gave him a big white board, and I used it to work out positions and backups. 1-4-2-1-2 was the deadliest formation, and if you stocked a team with the best old players in season one, and listed them at the end of the season with the highest permissible values, they'd all retire, you'd get a massive windfall payment, and you could bring in the backup players that you'd stocked the squad with, i.e. Kenny Sansom retires, bring in Kevin Sharp.

• Paid Members

Used to play Championship Manager religiously from 93-94 until Championship Manager 01-02 when life got in the way. It was always my football game of choice. Nothing really came close to dislodging it. "On the Ball" nearly did in the Summer of 1994, but that was more a Monkey Island style game than a footie management one. You didn't feel like anything you pressed had any bearing on what happened on the screen. Loved the kidnappings though. Loved the wee graphic of a football player tied up in the basement in full kit. Couldn't happen in a game now probably with the legal issues.

ADDED: I remember playing "Tactical Manager" a lot as it had a Scottish edition. It had real players and club crests and everything, which blew my mind in 1994.

ADDED AGAIN: Every football management game in 1994 - 95 had a "Take a bung?" option too (except Champo), which was hilarious.

Did anybody play the PBM (play by mail) games? I remember that a number of us used to play Soccer Supremos by GAD games. They were based in Bude, Cornwall and each week you'd fill out your turn sheet, post it to them by Thursday and then you'd get your results posted to you by mail. 

It was big in the 1990's and looking at their facebook group, they had 12 data entry processors just typing the turn sheets into their program that was ported from Atari to PC.

You could manage a team from any of the main divisions and the only way you could do transfers was to actually phone the other managers in the league and agree it with them. Having a quick search online shows that there were a number of annoyed parents when they saw random calls to Scunthorpe on their bill.

I remember having a tour of their offices one time as we were on holiday in Cornwall and rang them up to ask if we could come round to see how they worked. Have a look at their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/GadGames     

• Paid Members

I remember my mate getting skelped with the phone when his folks found out he'd been phoning somewhere in Ireland to arrange an important transfer. He was talking to some 50 year old potential deviant too. Wouldn't happen now. Came in to school and literally one side of his face was all bruised. We said he was down for the bell.

Archived