TUF Brazil 3 - Sonnen vs Wanderlei Discussion Thread

David

BXLdMtKCYAEF8Iy.jpg

Well, the first episode was Sunday night on Fight Pass, and considering it's Chael Sonnen I'm surprised there's been zero discussion thus far.

I've just watched the 1st episode, which is basically the fights to get into the house. We get a little bit of backstory on each guy as well. We had Cristiano Ronaldo's former body guard, a member of the Rio riot police & the husband of a Brazilian boxing champion.

One thing that did confuse me was why they decided to assign a female sports personality to each team? A volley ball player and a basketball player? Going from their on-screen thoughts in the first episode it's pretty clear they aren't really MMA experts. I wonder why they didn't look for maybe female kickboxers, or boxers instead? One of them said that when it looked as though a guys arm might break in a submission she was ready to leave!

Some interesting looking fighters winning their way into the house. Willian had that traditional Brazilian mentalness about him, but he had the bad luck to run into Ricardo Demente, a BJJ world champion and a guy who trains with Wanderlei.

I'm going to go ahead and predict that barring injury Demente is one of the winners this season.

One thing that will grate on me I think is the subtitles during the fights. I can understand the need to see what people are saying, but during the fights? They're obscuring the fight to let us know shit like "go on, take it to him!" and "keep moving your head!".

I don't need that kind of information.

Anyway, a nice little opener. Perhaps one to miss if you're not really bothered about the fights to get into the house though. There was zero interaction between Chael and Wand in this episode, and I think the next episode is the same, with eight more fights to get into the house.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Cheers for the info on episode 1, Dave.

I'm not a fan of the 'fights to get in' episodes but I might flick through it, just to familiarise myself a bit. Really looking forward to this. The Chael vs Wanderlei stuff should be great, plus the talent is usually pretty good on the whole on the Brazilian TUFs as well. Guys like Cezar Ferreira, Daniel Sarafian, Rony Jason, Francisco Trinaldo and William Macario have been fun to watch coming off the show in the past.

Don't like the sound of subtitles during the fights. Subtitles in general never bothered me on previous TUF Brazils, but subtitles during the fights is going to be annoying and off-putting.

Don't like the sound of subtitles during the fights. Subtitles in general never bothered me on previous TUF Brazils, but subtitles during the fights is going to be annoying and off-putting.

Especially when, unlike the rest of the time when they're at the bottom of the screen, they put them in the upper middle of the screen during the fights.

Really annoying to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Haven't got around to starting on this yet. I will though.

Anyway, Chael tours the TUF Brazil gym;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=kV0MIfdSfFc

Briefly touches on the gym fight with Wanderlei as well.

Chael tours his TUF Brazil 'crib';

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=zY78SaYr3J0

We even get to see 'Yushin's room', where we learn that Yushin doesn't require much, just a telly and somewhere soft to sleep.

If this TRT ban does end Chael's fighting career, there's always a Homes Under The Hammer type gig for him somewhere I'm sure.

And a Chael quote on the gym fight with Wand and Wand's assistant coach who cheapshotted him;

"I'm not positive on the name, I never met the gentleman. I never did, and after the whole thing happened, he got thrown out. You know, and to quote Dana White... Dana White told him he ought to be arrested. But, I never did meet him. I'm not sure."

Andre Dida is thought to be the gentleman in question. He was a Chute Boxe member years ago, Shogun's Muay Thai coach in recent years.

Did anyone hear that after that altercation Chael made a call to bring Mark Coleman onto the show as his wrestling coach/enforcer? Now that would have been pretty fucking mental considering the history between him & Wand.

• Paid Members

That would've been great. Coleman is one of BJ Penn's assistant coaches on the upcoming TUF 19, and apparently everyone was raving about the job he did on the show and both teams loved him.

I wonder what kind of terms Coleman and Wandy are on these days. Probably squashed any ill will years ago, I imagine. I know Coleman and Shogun are cool since their rematch. There was even a video knocking about of Coleman in the crowd and hugging Shogun after one of the Machida fights.

I always wondered if Wandy and Cro Cop interacted much when they were on the same card at UFC 110 in Australia as well. Those two hated each other in the Pride days but they'd both mellowed out a lot by then.

No one watched the first "proper" episode of this yet? I thought you lot would be all over it.

Anyway, an excellent first show and surely a taste of what's to come. I never thought I'd be saying this, but Wanderlei is coming off as a grade A wanker thus far. Chael hasn't put a foot wrong.

One major gripe for me is the subtitles during the fucking fights! We don't need to be reading "go man!", "take him down!" and other such shite when we're trying to actually watch the fight!

I've now watched all 3 episodes. This looks like it's going to be a great season. Sonnen is superb when winding up Silva and Wand bites nearly every time. His attempt to get Sonnen to apologise to the whole of Brazil is pricesless as is Sonnens acceptance of Wand's "resignation" from the TUF show. This should be a great season and the atmosphere when they fight should be of the chart. Apparently the show is drawing very strong ratings of Globo in Brazil.

• Paid Members
Apparently the show is drawing very strong ratings of Globo in Brazil.

That's good to hear. Apparently TUF Brazil 2 did poorly and I'm sure I read Globo were thinking of pulling the plug on TUF Brazil. Hence why the UFC went with Chael and Wand as coaches this time. Maybe this is the way to go with TUF Brazil. Maybe the Brazilians aren't so into watching Brazilians coach against each other, and the grudge obviously helps. TUF Brazil 4: Dos Santos vs Overeem could work. O how about TUF Brazil: Anderson vs Diaz or Bisping?

I still haven't started watching yet. Just haven't got around to it. With no UFC on this week, I'll try to catch up over the weekend.

Doesn't really surprise me to hear Wand isn't coming off great. He's never going to win the smacktalk/mind games battle with Chael. Plus Wand was a grumpy cunt in Pride as well. It's nothing new.

Doesn't really surprise me to hear Wand isn't coming off great. He's never going to win the smacktalk/mind games battle with Chael. Plus Wand was a grumpy cunt in Pride as well. It's nothing new.

He's not just coming off badly, he's actually physically assaulted Chael twice already. Coupled with his assistant supposedly blindsiding Sonnen as well I'd say that Wand is coming off as a grade A prick.

• Paid Members

I'm going to start watching this week. Our baby boy arrived 2 days ago and I've got many sleepless nights to catch up on this.

Wand maybe coming across as a grade A prick, but I wouldn't want it any other way as it makes for amazing TV.

These guys know their shit.

Archived