TUF Brazil 3 - Sonnen vs Wanderlei Discussion Thread

David

Silva is pretty funny, the whole crap off I won't participate unless you apologise to the whole of Brazil was comedy cold, the guy is fried, he's getting taken down, then ground and pounded till Sonnen submits him or ref pulls him off for a stoppage win. The show is enjoyable so far, hopefully keeps up.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Silva is pretty funny, the whole crap off I won't participate unless you apologise to the whole of Brazil was comedy cold, the guy is fried, he's getting taken down, then ground and pounded till Sonnen submits him or ref pulls him off for a stoppage win. The show is enjoyable so far, hopefully keeps up.

If Sonnen is TRT less it maybe a different story. I'm guessing by then another legal alternative to boost testosterone will be found.

• Paid Members

Chael still thinks Wanderlei will pull out of their fight;

The way Chael Sonnen sees it, something doesn't quite add up.

"It's one of those things where, something stinks here," Sonnen said Tuesday after a sparring session at the Reign MMA gym. "He's talking more than ever. He's saying things like

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
- The fight uncensored.

Chael comes across quite well, Wanderlai comes across as a cock.

I like both normally

Cheers for the link Jim.

I have to admit, if that was fake, both must be exceptional actors. This is going to sound strange, but the reason I don't think it was a setup was by the fact Sonnen was wearing these flip flops. He wasn't prepared in the slightest for a confrontation.

The cheap shots by that guy on Wanderlei's team is an absolute disgrace mind. You see the blood coming from Sonnen straight after he gets up.

Wanderlei comes across here as a grade A bell end and in fact has done since the start of the season. I know I'm obviously biased here, but I want Sonnen to maul Silva come fight time.

However, I'm not confident that this fight is happening as Sonnen has been randomly calling out Rich Franklin on twitter since yesterday. Something is up.

No problem Lamby

I agree it was not set up. Outside the flip flops there were other clues

Firstly, we know Wanderlai has his business cap on. The confrontation they had at that convention was clearly set-up by Wanderlai (why would he bring cameras if he did not want it filmed?) If this was a set up, why would Wanderlai allow the plan to be that he instigated the fight, then got taken down? As Lamby said it made him look like a "grade A bell end"

Chael was also not in full on "Chael" mode. He was calm and quite rational, and even seemed pretty embarrassed by the whole thing. Chael did not raise his voice once in the whole process, or speak with his usual swagger.

The coach on Wand's team is a fucking disgrace. The fact that he is bragging about sucker punching Sonnen makes it worse. It's been said before and I 100% agree that Wand in coming off like a grade 1 knob head. I hope Sonnen takes this dick down and beats the piss out of him for 3 rounds.

• Paid Members

I'm pretty much up to date (finally!) with this TUF Brazil. Just got the latest episode to watch, but I just watched that video Jim posted there. Few thoughts;

Yeah, Wand's fully at fault for that scuffle. Chael egged him on subtly but it didn't need to come to blows and everyone in the gym should've been quicker on the ball than they were. You could see there wasn't going to be a peaceful ending to that confrontation. Neither were about to back down. If you look at the footage it's Chael's push that really escalates it but I still put the blame mostly on Wand because he was right in Chael's face and didn't leave Chael much choice but to push him away. Even after he'd already told Wand more than once "come on, stop this".

Dida was a cock. It wasn't his fight. And to not only throw punches to the back of a man's head who can't see you, but to then brag about it, it's pretty shitty. He looked a complete dickhead in that video.

As for Wand, predictable as it may be, I don't give a fuck. Wand's still my favourite fighter. He'd have to do something a lot worse than get into a schoolyard style slapfest with Chael P for me to turn on him. He was definitely more to blame for this particular incident but;

1) This is nothing earth shattering. Anyone who didn't know about this side of Wand's personality mustn't have followed him in the Pride days. He was mental. Cro Cop, who very rarely gets wound up or angry, even commented once that he was "acting like maniac". His whole thing was intimidation. Chute Boxe were known for that. It's no coincidence that all those gym rivalries in Pride involved Chute Boxe vs somebody. Chute Boxe vs Hammer House. Chute Boxe vs Brazilian Top Team. Even as late as 2007 when Forrest fought Shogun the first time, he said to Rogan post-fight that the Chute Boxe lot were "mad dogging him all week". The only reason we haven't seen that side of Wand in the UFC was probably because he's mostly been fighting the 'nice guys' of MMA in recent years. Rich Franklin, Cung Le, Brian Stann. The only guys who talked any shit on him so far were Rampage and Bisping. And that was tame in comparison to Chael talking shit on Brazil, basically calling Wand's whole career a fraud etc.

2) Let's not pretend Chael's a choirboy here. He's been winding Wand up for four years. People can give it the old 'well then he doesn't get Chael's schtick' bit all they like. It's easy for us to say that as spectators. Imagine if it was you Chael was targeting almost incessantly for four years. Wand's not the only one either. Remember Anderson Silva shoulder smacking Chael at the weigh in? Cro Cop's publicly slated him for the Pride comments.

The stuff he was saying about Brazil got a few backs up. Wand, the Nogs, Anderson, Machida, Aldo, Bigfoot, they've all said they didn't like the stuff Chael was saying about Brazil. Even Shogun said he didn't like it (it was the only negative thing Shogun said in the build up to the Chael fight). Renzo Gracie was pissed off with some of Chael's trash talk a while back as well and Chael even said Renzo phoned him about it. I think that was more about the stuff Chael said about slapping Anderson's wife's arse and the 'medium rare' stuff but it's also around that time Chael started to cool off on the Brazil stuff.

Before that though, Chael was walking a thin line on some of the stuff he was saying. Yeah the majority of it was tongue-in-cheek, but some of it was a bit much, I thought.

These Chael quotes are from before the Anderson fights;

"I packed a suitcase full of gifts, full of things from America that Brazilians don't have. I'm trying to merge the two countries in a way that we can work together. For example, I brought packets of soap for them. I brought shampoo, I brought them dental floss".

"You know, when I was a little kid, I remember going outside and sitting around with my friends. We'd talk about the latest technology and medicine and gaming and American ingenuity. And I would look outside and Anderson and the Brazilian kids are sitting outside and playing in the mud."

There was probably a few more like that. That's the stuff that started this whole thing. It was these comments which triggered that video in the car where Wand confronted Chael saying - "The promotion is good, but you need to respect some things. The Nogueira brothers and the country, you know. We need to have good conduct about that. Don't do that anymore."

It's why I've never bought into this idea that this rivalry is fake. It started completely different than normal fight hype. Sure they're both aware that the grudge makes it bigger and generates more interest, but the root of the dislike started with the Brazil comments. Chael was clearly joking but it's telling that he backed off that stuff around the time Renzo phoned him. I'm sure Renzo told him that a lot of Brazilians would take that seriously. Chael's brand of trash talk/trolling, whatever you want to call it might not translate to the Brazilians so well and they'll take it as a personal attack. You remember the Anderson vs Chael 2 fight was originally supposed to be in Brazil and when they went there to do media, a Brazilian journalist actually zapped Chael with a shock pen. A journalist! Chael gradually stopped the Brazil stuff and his goading of Wand, Nog etc switched to the 'Pride was a work' stuff. I'm sure the UFC had a word and the talk with Renzo, but by then the horse had bolted and people had heard all the comments. That's what started this thing off.

3) If you wonder why Wand's coming off as an over aggressive, arsey, confrontational twat then re-read 2). Chael has remarked a few times that Wand lives in America now, as if to say he's a traitor to Brazil because of that. I suppose Wand is overcompensating to show his loyalty to his country. But even I can admit he's gone about it in a way that's both made him look like an idiot, and also played right into Chael's little money laundering hands.

So yeah, I've gone on there. Wand was absolutely in the wrong in this incident, and he's not coming off too well on the series as a whole. But let's not pretend Chael's some innocent little schoolgirl here who's been set upon by the big ugly girl in class who's good at PE and has got hairy hands. Chael's as complicit in this as Wand. He knows exactly what he's doing. That bit when Wand walks away and then Chael goads him back with the "what's the date? When is the fight?" or some shit shows Chael at his slimy, manipulative best. I'm sure on some level he was actually half expecting something physical to happen during filming.

And it's only made the fight bigger. When you look at this fight, it's a guy coming off a crushing first round stoppage loss vs a guy coming off a win but also one year layoff. And both are probably just a fight or two away from retirement. Then add in that pretty much everyone - fans, journalists etc - all see this as a stylistic mismatch and that Chael will win comfortably. This fight shouldn't be this anticipated. It's a testament how they've been able to take something that is built on real animosity and amplify it x50 to make this fight feel like a bigger deal than it logically has any right to be in 2014. I can't wait.

However, I'm not confident that this fight is happening as Sonnen has been randomly calling out Rich Franklin on twitter since yesterday. Something is up.

I noticed this as well. Seems very odd. I hope the fight isn't off. It's been brewing way too long for it to go tits up now. And more than the fight not happening, if it falls apart on Wand's side, I'm dreading the inevitable weeks of 'see Wand was shitting himself of Chael' afterwards.

So yeah, I'm fully on board with people saying Chael is coming across better. He definitely is. But lets have a bit of balance. That video doesn't tell the whole story. Chael's been poking Wand with a load of different sticks for four fucking years - the Brazil stick, the 'Pride was fake' stick, the coward stick, the traitor to Brazil stick. And fuck knows what's gone on behind the scenes during filming. Chael's a wind up merchant and Wand's got, well a bit of a temper hasn't he. Wand was never going to come off well opposite Chael and Wand's behaviour hasn't shocked me at all, to be honest.

Bollocks. I'm just enjoying the show. I love them both.

If you've got through that wall of text, then have a gold star. Or PM me for a picture of my girlfriend's tits.*

*Not really.

• Paid Members

I've said my piece, Jimmy. I won't rise to the bait.

Other than to say, once again, FrontRowBollock is a massive twat. I get the impression Chael could rape FrontRow's nan in right before his and his family's eyes, and he'd still be behind him, licking his arse on each thrust.

Archived