The NBA Discussion Thread

Art Vandelay

Most people over at Operation Sports are shitting all over the Live 14 trailer. I've got to admit, I agree with them. There's no reason whatsoever that EA couldn't have released that on current gen. In fact, it actually looks a lot like Live 10, and that's not a bad thing to be honest, at least it gives the series a base to build off and it's got the best commentator in the game Mike Breen.

Art, did you release there's no TV deal in place for the UK this year for season tip off for the second year in a row?

Most people over at Operation Sports are shitting all over the Live 14 trailer. I've got to admit, I agree with them. There's no reason whatsoever that EA couldn't have released that on current gen. In fact, it actually looks a lot like Live 10, and that's not a bad thing to be honest, at least it gives the series a base to build off and it's got the best commentator in the game Mike Breen.

Art, did you release there's no TV deal in place for the UK this year for season tip off for the second year in a row?

Yeah. I fully expect them to announce something in the next few days unless they want the same backlash that they got last year. They've already getting swamped with questions from fans over on their Facebook and Twitter pages.

Apparently, Sky have signed a deal to broadcast games again, but I dunno if it's just live Sunday games and then the playoffs and finals like last year.

From what I've read, they're holding back signing a deal with a tv station in order to maximise League Pass sales. Underhanded but smart from the NBA, still really annoying. Do you still have that 15% off code for League Pass? I might have to bite the bullet and sign up this year. Last time I had it they didn't have a direct feed from NBA TV, but it seems the premium option gives you this feature now, might well be worth picking up.

From what I've read, they're holding back signing a deal with a tv station in order to maximise League Pass sales. Underhanded but smart from the NBA, still really annoying. Do you still have that 15% off code for League Pass? I might have to bite the bullet and sign up this year. Last time I had it they didn't have a direct feed from NBA TV, but it seems the premium option gives you this feature now, might well be worth picking up.

I reckon that they'll announce it with a few days to go. I very much doubt that they'll end up letting us miss opening night again.

Discount code is: NBALP152013. I've got league pass but I definitely still want the TV deal. It's the only way to grow the game here.

I reckon that they'll announce it with a few days to go. I very much doubt that they'll end up letting us miss opening night again.

Discount code is: NBALP152013. I've got league pass but I definitely still want the TV deal. It's the only way to grow the game here.

I tried using the code but it wouldn't let me use it for the premium package, thanks anyway though!

Can't wait for tip-off now, football is pissing me off this season so having the hoops back will be a good distraction.

How many pieces do you think the Blazers are away from getting back in the playoffs? I'm not sure when LeMarcus Aldridge's contract is up, but if they don't get back in soon, I can see him testing free-agency. I'd love to see the Bulls pick him up, but I'm not sure anyone would be willing to pick up Boozer's huge contract!

Ah, sorry man, it must have expired. If I get another I'll let you know. The pass is still worth it anyway, if you pay monthly you barely even notice it, I find. The price of a few beers each month for the duration of the season.

I could actually see Portland making the playoffs this season. They've made some nice moves during the off-season and actually have a bench now. I think it'll be a race between them and Minnesota for the 7th seed.

8 days to go! I can't wait. Here's something to get you in the mood:

Edited by Art Vandelay

EA Sports have all but confirmed that Ultimate Team is in NBA Live 14 this year. Could be a saving grace for the series, and mask the flawed gameplay somewhat. Mike Breen also confirmed for commentary. BANG!

I've been playing a lot of 2k14 on PS3. The gameplay is even better than 13, the defensive play is much improved and really, however the game itself is really bugged in many game modes and sliders, and they still haven't released any info on a patch. I don't mind too much as I've got both next gen titles on pre-order but I think it's only fair they sort it out soon for people not intending to go next gen yet.

EA Sports have all but confirmed that Ultimate Team is in NBA Live 14 this year. Could be a saving grace for the series, and mask the flawed gameplay somewhat. Mike Breen also confirmed for commentary. BANG!

I've been playing a lot of 2k14 on PS3. The gameplay is even better than 13, the defensive play is much improved and really, however the game itself is really bugged in many game modes and sliders, and they still haven't released any info on a patch. I don't mind too much as I've got both next gen titles on pre-order but I think it's only fair they sort it out soon for people not intending to go next gen yet.

Did they confirm Breen? I thought the announce team was yet to be confirmed. That's awesome though. Hoping for Van Gundy too!

I held off buying 2K14 on 360 as I'm getting a PS4 at launch, but I actually just won a free copy of 2K14 from MVP magazine via their Facebook competition (2nd NBA competition win in 3 weeks, lol), so I'll play that over the next few weeks until PS4 time.

Anyway, 7 DAYS TO GO! :thumbsup:

If you've not read this Huffington Post UK feature on why basketball should be your US sport of choice, I'd highly recommend it: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/frankie-ho..._b_4067627.html

Did you see DeAndre Jordan smashing Darren Collison in the face (accidentally) with the ball the other day after his awesome dunk in the pre-season game? OUCH!

First time NBA poster.

Just to add my thoughts to a few of the topics up for discussion...

I'm playing NBA 2K14 and really enjoying it. Despite this, I really feel that, in terms of presentation, 2KSports have really taken their foot off the gas. Menus are very similar to last year and there's been no real jump forward in terms of graphics. Despite that, it's still a great game.

In terms of predictions this year, I really think the Nets could have a standout season. They've strengthened really well with Garnett and Pierce and they've got a deep squad who can score and defend. A lot depends on Deron Williams but I think their absolute minimum aim should be to win the Atlantic Division and reach the Conference semis.

The East as a whole is looking strong with Miami, Chicago and Indiana, along with an improved Nets. I'll be interested to see who the Knicks do - I think they've missed their window to make a deep run into the Playoffs and I think the East have improved overall whilst they've arguably stayed at the same level. I still think they'll make the Playoffs but as a lower seed and, against one of the better teams, I see a first round exit.

I'm also very, very interested in the Bobcats. I think they're finally taking steps in the right direction by acquiring Jefferson and I think Cody Zeller is going to be a very good draft pick. I'm also a big fan of Kemba Walker, so I think they're potentially onto something good.

In the West, I really think it's wide open, and it's going to be as much down to mentality as to talent. I think last season was last chance saloon for the Spurs. OKC without Harden are not the same team, and a lot will depend upon Westbrook's recovery. I can't remember seeing a team fall so far, so fast as the Lakers - from being THE team merely a few years ago to being a place where people like Chris Kaman go to try and get their career back on track. As great as Kobe is, and as much as it pains me to say it about Steve Nash (who is my favourite player ever), the Lakers are now relying on two players who, because of their age, need to have their minutes rationed. Add in the fact that Kobe is coming back from serious injury and I think it's going to be a long, hard slog of a season for Lakers.

In the West, I think the real "Showtime" team are now the Clippers. By extending Chris Paul's contract they've cemented themselves as a force for years to come and, with Doc Rivers in charge, I think they've got a very, very good shot of going far and I'd probably place them as my favourites for the Western Conference. With the Clippers, it's all about mentality and whether or not the experience of Rivers can overcome an inferiority complex that's been established through decades of Lakers domination.

In answer to an earlier question, I think the Rockets will do well, but I don't think they have it in them to win a title. Having said that, if Dwight Howard shows up with a point to prove after last season's fiasco and Harden is firing on all cylinders, there's no reason why they can't prove me wrong. I also think that Lin is going to have an improved season now that he's out of the limelight. His numbers for last season were actually very respectable, and he's a very solid point guard, but he could never live up to the hype as a marquee player.

Other teams I'm looking forward to watching: Curry and the Warriors, Lillard and Aldridge in the eternal struggle to get Portland past the first round of the Playoffs, watching the Cavs grow up in front of my eyes and seeing how the Raptors do, having brought in Rudy Gay.

This brings me on nicely to my next point - which team do I support? I love watching the NBA, but the one thing that has stopped me fully committing to it in the same way I do football is that I can't decide on a team to support. Generally, I don't like bandwagon hopping, so teams like the Heat, Lakers, Celtics etc are out. I can never support OKC as the team that I did support all those years ago, the Sonics, were destroyed so they could be formed. In sports like football, teams tend to have social and political identities and this helps me associate with them and draws me towards certain teams. This doesn't seem to be the case in basketball though, with the cloest thing I can find being the Suns coming out against Arizona's immigration stop and search policy and the Blazers coming out in support of gay marriage.

I'm also generally a glutton for punishment, and like teams that aren't great so that, when they do become a force, it feels so much better. I'm currently leaning towards either the Bobcats, Raptors, Suns or Pistons in terms of who to support, but I'm open to ideas. Sell me your team, so I can buy their jersey and shamelessly pretend that I've been a fan for years.

I agree, the Nets could have an awesome season. They are looking better than the Knicks at the moment, but I can't wait for that feud to really heat up.

In terms of who to support - I have family in NY so I've always (heartbreakingly) been a Knicks fan. In the West, I absolutely love watching the Clippers & the Warriors - both teams are going to be so much fun to watch this year. The addition of Iggy to the Warriors is going to be incredible viewing.

If you want to support a team that aren't great, how about the poor 76ers? :laugh:

Re: 2K14 - I agree with you about current-gen. It's a good game, but more of a minor update than anything. I have a feeling that all of the real work has gone into next-gen. You getting a PS4 and Live or 2K?

I'd also recommend checking out the Double Clutch Podcast. It's a weekly UK-based show hosted by a bunch of well-clued up fans. Great stuff. I've joined their fantasy league that they're running this season. Pretty sure they have a few spaces left, if you're interested. It drafts tomorrow at 11pm. Never done one before so looking forward to taking part! - http://www.doubleclutchpodcast.co.uk/let-t...asy-wars-begin/

Before I get the bandwagon treatment I've been a Heat Fan since I started watching Basketball in the late 90's (I follow Miami in all US SPORTS, Dolphins, Marlins, Heat and Panthers tho I don't follow Hockey as religiously as the other 3) enjoyed the Highs and Lows with the team, been lucky to have enjoyed many more highs then lows but I suffered enough being a fan of the other 3 teams mentioned for the past 12-13 years now that I deserve some highs in ym sports lol, I'm also a Sheff Wed fan so many lows had there as well, If it wasn't for the Heat I'd begin to wonder if I'm cursed with my teams (Marlins Ws title aside)

Anyway getting sidetracked completely there.

Do you follow any other teams in US Sports, you could always adopt that cities team like I did for all mine

Can't wait for the season now, Next Tuesday can't come quick enough as we start our drive for the 3peat, looking forward to the discussion on here during the season

I've got to say I don't fancy the Nets getting past the first round in the East. Brook Lopez is so hot and cold it's unreal, he's not imposing enough for his size either. Deron Williams has been living off his Utah days since he's been a Net. Pierce and Garnett could be decent additions if they are used accordingly. I just don't like the Nets as franchise so I'm probably being biased.

In terms of who I support, I love OKC because Kevin Durant is my favourite player in the entire organization. The 2012 finals I was genuinely devastated, especially being a game up. Harden disappeared, everything went wrong. If Durant left, I'd follow the team he joined. I'm surprised Kendrick Perkins hasn't been ditched yet, he's been garbage for 18 months now. Ibaka needs to find a reliable shot too, he died in last years playoffs. I think letting Kevin Martin go might be a mistake, but not as big as the decision to let James Harden go. Building through the draft always makes a team more likeable though, something the Thunder have done.

I grew up during the golden 90s era of Channel 4 NBA coverage, the highlights show on a Saturday Morning after Football Gazzetta with James Richardson, so I'll always love the Jordan Bulls era. Scottie Pippen is actually my favourite player of all time though, I've got 7 different Pippen jerseys in my collection!

Going back to this season. I fancy the Rockets to do well, as previously stated, if the old Dwight Howard turns up in Houston, and Harden carries on last years form, I think a top 4 seed should be easily reachable.

I also think the Lakers will struggle. Regardless of whether they make a play for Lebron or Melo, I think they might end up in the lottery with Boston, I think both are that bad this year. As much as I love Rondo, the Celtics are tanking this year. There's hardly any offense there worth talking about, unless Jeff Green has a huge breakout season ala Paul George, I see them and the Magic and the Sixers filling out the bottom seeds in the East.

Pistons should be fine this year, Jennings as I've said before is vastly overrated, mainly by himself but Josh Smith was a great pickup, and Jennings is better than Knight who they had in there last year. I think the pick up of Billups was a smart move, he should steady the backcourt, providing he stays fit.

I also see the Hawks dropping out of the playoffs this year too. Didn't particularly rate their moves, they're also paying Kyle Korver an insane amount of money to essentially just be a spot up shooter.

Edited by MoistVaj