The NBA Discussion Thread

Art Vandelay

Unfortunately not, until a new arena is sorted it's not likely either. Barack Obama unfortunately managed to pass some bills regarding tax relief regarding new arenas. if the same bill had managed to pass 18 months ago, the Sonics would have likely returned at the expense of the Kings or the Bucks. 

Really can't call it.

Cavs have Love and Irving fit and healthy this time, fancy them to take one of the road games from game 1 or 2.

Going to be an epic series. I'm a neutral for these finals so hoping for a 7 game thriller and that we see the absolute best of Curry and Lebron. Can't wait

I dunno, as I said earlier, a fully healthy Cavs this year might just bring a different result. Not to mention, the GSW have just had a full 7 game series which had to take a lot out of them. I think the Cavs will at least take it to 7.

Art, regarding your KD question, I think he'll renew with OKC, if they keep Russ next summer they'll still be in good shape for the future. One thing is for sure, if the NBA stopped CP3 going to the Lakers, they sure as hell aren't letting KD move to the Warriors.

I can't look beyond Golden State for NBA champions. They were great game 7, started off a little shaky but when they hit their stride they were on fire. I heard Marv, CWeb and Reggie mention something about Luke Walton eventually coaching the Lakers any truth to this or was it them just thinking out loud?.

As for Kevin Durant, he might be shopping around for a move. The salary cap is going up IIRC so there will be more cap space available. Meaning teams with available cap space right now can throw big money offers at free agents. But if OKC are smart they'll keep KD and Westbrook and build a solid unit around them. One of the biggest mistakes was letting James Harden go and now he's a player they could have kept as their big 3 (if the new cap space was in place back then).

I think the lower echelon teams will be making some power plays in the summer too for big names. A team like the Raptors if you add say Chris Bosh coming back or a Melo that changes their whole dynamic. I'd like to see the Lakers become good again, if Walton takes the reins I think with a solid starting unit theyd have a + 0.500 winning record and make the playoffs as 8th seed in the West.

Back to the NBA finals, it could go 7 games. Cavs have had time to rest up so they'll be coming in fresh, GSW will be worn down by the OKC series. I think Cavs get game 1, unless Dub Nation get behind the Warriors and they scrape the win. Then they trade wins til game 7 for the big finale. Should be a super exciting finals. Cool to see bay area hip hop legend E-40 and the conference finals too.

I can't look beyond Golden State for NBA champions. They were great game 7, started off a little shaky but when they hit their stride they were on fire. I heard Marv, CWeb and Reggie mention something about Luke Walton eventually coaching the Lakers any truth to this or was it them just thinking out loud?.

As for Kevin Durant, he might be shopping around for a move. The salary cap is going up IIRC so there will be more cap space available. Meaning teams with available cap space right now can throw big money offers at free agents. But if OKC are smart they'll keep KD and Westbrook and build a solid unit around them. One of the biggest mistakes was letting James Harden go and now he's a player they could have kept as their big 3 (if the new cap space was in place back then).

I think the lower echelon teams will be making some power plays in the summer too for big names. A team like the Raptors if you add say Chris Bosh coming back or a Melo that changes their whole dynamic. I'd like to see the Lakers become good again, if Walton takes the reins I think with a solid starting unit theyd have a + 0.500 winning record and make the playoffs as 8th seed in the West.

Back to the NBA finals, it could go 7 games. Cavs have had time to rest up so they'll be coming in fresh, GSW will be worn down by the OKC series. I think Cavs get game 1, unless Dub Nation get behind the Warriors and they scrape the win. Then they trade wins til game 7 for the big finale. Should be a super exciting finals. Cool to see bay area hip hop legend E-40 and the conference finals too.

- Walton is indeed going to be the head coach of the Lakers beginning next season. Great move by LA.

- I'm predicting Durant will sign a two year deal with OKC in the summer, with an opt-out clause after the first year. That's when Westbrook also becomes a free agent and Durant will also be able to make much more money.

- I love Bosh, but I worry he'll be forced into medical retirement following his health scares.

- Random note, I've got a long weekend (Friday & Monday off), so I'll be staying up for games 1 and 2! :thumbsup:

A bit off topic but did anyone catch Kobes retirement interview there showing on BT Sport? 1st time I remember he has come across as a right trumpet

Didn't know it was on. Same one that's been on NBA TV?

Still too early to call, if GSW were up say 3 games then you could say they would sweep the Cavaliers. I see it going to the wire personally. The Cavs started out on the wrong foot and home games with be beneficial for them for sure. If they do lose i see Lebron walking away. Maybe going back to the Heat or maybe going to the Mavericks or a real long shot to the Lakers. Unlike Mike and the Bulls and Kobe with the Lakers, Bron hasn't really been the guy for Cleveland to take them to the promised land. IIRC this is his third time in the finals in a Cavs Jersey. It's as they say go big or go home now. They had a solid young team before they did those trades to get established players in. A LeBron less team next season will be scrapping just to get beyond 0.500. I don't see Kyrie being traded, unless Lebron leaves. If he does, where does it leave Kevin Love?. Does he walk too?. It's really an all in situation for the Cavaliers. The team is built very much for the now wit the established older guys. A young Cavs team lead by LBJ would be a much better prospect in terms of creating a dynasty. Now it's very short termist. I think they'll be some big moves in the post season and a lot of teams loading up with their own big 3s. KD is a free agent and I'd imagine if he doesn't get assurances at OKC he's on the move. D Wade, Dirk will stick with their teams. Bron I see leaving again if they don't win. There's other big name free agents like Joakim Noah et AL and the Lakers, Timberwolves et al for example could load up with free agents and go to being playoff teams. Post season should be very, very interesting and I'd like to see the East more competive and the Bulls great again too. One guy who might get traded is D Rose. He was a great player now he has glimpses of his old self but he's no way near the MVP level. Shame as he could have reached the finals with the right supporting cast.

Let's get one thing clear, there is more chance of hell freezing over than Lebron James signing for the Dallas Mavericks. Far too small a market, no emotional ties to the team, playing in a packed Western Conference? Not happening, not in a million years. The Mavs couldn't even sign Deandre Jordan! Their stuck in mediocrity for the long forseeable, well at least until after Dirk is finished. 

in all honesty, the only way Lebron will leave this Summer is actually the opposite to what you've just said. If they win the title. He promised to bring a title to Cleveland. He's not going anywhere. 

Kevin Love on the other hand, will most likely be traded if the Cavs fail to win. He's been nothing more than a stat sheet padder. He's offered no defence and for large periods has done nothing more than be a spot up shooter. The Cavs can pay Channing Frye to do that for a lot loss dollar. Kyrie Irving is a little different in the fact that everyone knows he can't play defense, but on the other hand he's doing little for the actual team, bar pad his own stats again. 

This offseason will be quiet. Durant will stay at OKC, the Bulls are far more likely to trade Butler (he constantly undermines the coach) and Rose although will never reach the heights pre injury, he's still useful.

The main ones to look out for are Derozan (looks Lakers bound) Al Horford (would be a great pick up for any team), Hassan Whiteside (most likely stays at the Heat and gets PAID), Mike Conley (looks Knicks bound), Dwight Howard (who even wants him now? Rumours of a return to Orlando Magic) and Andre Drummond (looks locked to re-sign with Detroit)