The NBA Discussion Thread

Art Vandelay

That'll be cool for two games and then skipped. Hahah. Anyone know the deal with bt's coverage this year? They have the red button channels now so I would like to see a few more games shown. It doesn't seem to be exactly difficult for them seeing as they literally just steal the feed from the US providers.

He's in 2K13 as part of the Dream Team IIRC & that took a lot of doing, apparently Jay-Z called him personally to be involved & it took more money from 2K to get him & Scottie Pippen in the game. They also wanted him in 2K12 as part of the Jordan challenges too, but he wanted equal billing to MJ, Bird et al. So really it's down to money and licensing issues. Found this info, but not sure how accurate it is:

EA has a deal with the NBA Players Union, that allows EA to use players names and likenesses in their games. This saves EA from having to make a deal with every indivdual NBA player. The players union takes the licensing fee and distrubuites it among its members. 

Most retired players remain members of the players union, but a few decide to leave. Barkley and Miller both left the players union when they started their broadcasting careers, so that they could seem impartial when commenting on labor disputes and other matters involving the union. 

In order to feature a player who isn't a member of the players union in their games, EA would have to make a seperate deal with that player. And if the two sides can't agree to terms... then the player gets left out.

C-Web, KAJ & Reggie Miller aren't in 2K games either and Kareem is, outside of Kobe, Shaq & Magic probably the most famous Laker and like Magic a huge part of Pat Riley's Showtime Lakers team. 

That'll be cool for two games and then skipped. Hahah. Anyone know the deal with bt's coverage this year? They have the red button channels now so I would like to see a few more games shown. It doesn't seem to be exactly difficult for them seeing as they literally just steal the feed from the US providers.

7 live games per week, all of the playoffs, all star weekend, MLK day, Christmas Day etc. 

Even though BT is going to have even better coverage this year, I'll still be getting League Pass too. I love the 24 hour NBA TV access that comes with it and the option to watch condensed games, which is a lifesaver when it's a 12 game night and I just can't watch it all.

Plus, League Pass on Apple TV is amazing.

Ah thats interesting. What's that up on last year's deal? I swear it was 7 games a week to. I was still hoping for a bit more with BT having the red button access and literally just having to take the feed. They only aired 3/4 celtics games last year.

Ah thats interesting. What's that up on last year's deal? I swear it was 7 games a week to. I was still hoping for a bit more with BT having the red button access and literally just having to take the feed. They only aired 3/4 celtics games last year.

Here's the full press release:

The National Basketball Association (NBA) and BT Sport have announced a multi-year expansion of their television partnership that will provide fans in the UK and Ireland with an enhanced NBA viewing experience.

As part of the agreement, which will begin with the 2015-16 season, BT Sport will broadcast up to seven live games per week throughout the regular season and the first and second rounds of the play-offs, as well as every game of the conference finals and NBA Finals in June, all appearing across BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN.

Major NBA events, including NBA All-Star, Christmas Day and Martin Luther King Day will also be covered exclusively on TV by BT Sport. NBA fans will be able enjoy the NBA on new platforms thanks to the wider television distribution of NBA programs and highlights and the inclusion of a weekly free streamed game via the BT Sport website and app, as well as NBA platforms, capable of reaching more than 20m broadband households  in the UK.

Simon Green, head of BT Sport said: “I’m delighted that BT Sport will continue as the home of the NBA in the UK and Ireland.  The NBA is simply the best basketball in the world and this year we will broadcast even more live and exclusive NBA games than ever before.”

“Through the extension of our partnership with BT Sport, fans can continue to enjoy a wealth of NBA content and programming in the UK and Ireland,” said Elsa Memmi, NBA vice president, Global Media Distribution, EMEA. 

“BT Sport has proven to be the ideal partner to serve as an official TV destination of the NBA in the UK and Ireland and we look forward to collaborating further to provide fans with live NBA games, highlights, magazine shows, unique behind-the-scenes programming and more.”

The partnership will also feature co-operation between BT Sport and the NBA on production of games in 4K, which delivers 4000DPI, or four times as much resolution as most current televisions in 1080DPI.

Interesting. I think I'll have to go for a league pass sub like yourself though for hilight's and that. Plus being at college I can stay up that bit later on certain nights and catch the early tip-off's. Cant wait for it all to get back underway though.

More 2K16 good stuff! The story mode, which has been written and directed by Spike Lee, has its first trailer:

It looks amazing! I loved Spike Lee's 'He Got Game'. Best basketball film ever in my opinion. This is going to be great! (FYI, you can change the character's name).

More info on the mode:

When two powers collide, often times the ramifications are so great that someone -- or something -- ends up getting hurt in the process.

But when the powers collide to create one of the most intriguing collaborations known in the sports gaming industry, it becomes a potential win-win for everyone. This is what we’re hopefully about to get with Spike Lee’s #BeTheStory MyCAREER mode in NBA 2K16.

Lee is famous for his parading courtside at New York Knicks games, decked out in blue and orange from head to toe. His characteristics and youthful exuberance become water cooler chatter for any NBA fan. So when it’s time to translate those characteristics to the forefront of the critically acclaimed NBA 2K franchise, what comes out?

The ultimate version of “He Got Game.” Or perhaps, “You Got Game.”

Jeff Thomas, vice president of sports development at Visual Concepts, the studio behind NBA 2K, first met Lee at the NBA 2K15 launch party. The two spoke for only a brief moment, but one thing was clear: Lee wanted to be involved with NBA 2K.

“I want to tell a story, but one that starts at the very beginning with somebody young and on the way up,” Lee told Thomas. “When he makes it (to the NBA), I’m done.”

“Spike is an incredible storyteller, and he has an incredible passion for basketball,” said Thomas. “This story is a departure of what we’re used to doing. This is a true story with an added edge.”

And if the story is a shift from what NBA 2K is used to delivering, the production also changed just as much. Lee calls MyCAREER a “movie.” The director wrote every line of the mode’s dialogue. He casted each of the cutscene actors. He chose specific cameras to be used for filming. He made everyone start the day with a dance party (for real, though). He refused to use anything but a light blue sharpie pen. He did it all, just as he did when he originally filmed “He Got Game” in 1997.

“Making these two worlds come together -- the technology of 3-D and Spike’s world of filming, lighting and backgrounds -- was a huge challenge,” Thomas continued. “It was a tough year for our team, but it paid off. We put tons of effort into this content.”

The film starts in a high school setting, with the star preparing to make his mark on the game of basketball. The gym setting will give you flashbacks to the glory days, enjoying the painted bricks being covered by District Championships. From there, you’ll make your college choice. Visual Concepts licensed 10 major colleges for the game (Texas is the only one confirmed). Next up is the NBA Draft.

Along the way to that point is the real ride, and 90-minutes worth of cutscenes. #BeTheStory is about the consequence of making bad choices and risking it all when you feel like you have nothing to lose. Lee leaves no stone unturned when telling his story, which includes all of the drama of being a basketball star on the rise. From family, friends, business and teammates, chaos will surround you. There were even lines in the initial trailer removed at the NBA’s request, though they weren’t cut from the game itself. The story apparently gets that real. It’s Spike Lee, guys.

“You can’t go to someone like Spike Lee and put him in a box,” Thomas said. “He’s telling the story the way he wants to express it. It’s an engaging story...it makes you feel alive.”

So it will be up to you to decide how you want to live out your career. Each decision will have consequences. Good or bad.

Lee’s story starts at the beginning, but ends just as you make it to the NBA.

So we pick it up with the Off-Day Simulator, one the newest additions to NBA 2K16. You will have upwards of 80 off days during each season, which should give you ample time to still participate in random activities that relate to your MyCAREER.

You’ll be taken to the NEXT Menu, your UI hub between games where you decide what’s next. Time management plays a critical role in your MyCAREER, especially since you have full control of each decision made. The NEXT Menu will show what’s scheduled each day, from Endorsements, Connections and Live Practice. Each option will reward you with something new each time. Rewards can include pre-game rituals, Virtual Currency or even the option of jersey selection for games.

Endorsements

Similar as in the past, endorsements will couple your brand with an NBA sponsor to make money. Earn VC and other rewards such as billboards, commercials or your very own signature shoe.

Companies will offer you contracts that ask you to commit to a specific amount of off-days. Like an incentive-based contract, the more you do the greater you will receive. Pay attention, though, because as you improve sponsors will begin competing with each other for your services. Don’t overcommit.

Connections

Now you can build up relationships and friendships with other players, legends and personalities around the Association. Michael Jordan could take you golfing…who knows?

If you hang with Dwight Howard for a day, you can unlock th Expression Badge. Or you can choose to chill out and water ski with Blake Griffin to earn his pre-game rim hang routine. Again, the choice is yours.

Live Practice

Yeah, we ARE talking about practice.

Scott O’Gallagher, a NBA 2K developer who the knows the Xs and Os of basketball as good as any, went all out. Live 5-on-5 practice will net you new skills. There are even options to do single specific workouts to improve ratings. All of these are pulled straight from the minds of NBA organizations and personal experience.

There’s also a free shootaround period where you can explore the gym and interact with coaches and teammates.

MyCOURT

This could have been an article on its own. MyCOURT should be one of the greatest additions to NBA 2K16. This is your landing area for the mode, the place where you always come back to between games and story scenes. You can upgrade you player, check out stats and standings and watch NBA 2KTV (and story scenes over again).

MyCOURT is completely customizable, everything from the floors, walls, rims, backboards, nets, balls, lines, and so on can be modified, colored and upgraded. There is a display case to show off all of your awards and accomplishments.

You can also invite your friends to hang out and shoot around on your court while waiting to hit the Pro-Am courts together. Want to play a quick game of 5-on-5, do it. Only have four friends, how about a quick 2-on-2?

So in the end, you'll be going from a Spike Lee Joint to a mode with more control and customization. Here's to hoping all the additions mesh well together in the end.

Source: http://www.operationsports.com/features/2335/nba-2k16-mycareer-nba-details-and-off-day-simulator-video/

Just catching up the past few days with the off season news I've missed.. Where do we see Caremelo ending up then? Rumored with everybody, currently the celtics and he's the last of the big free agents really that are likely gonna make a move. Personally I'd love him in Boston and think if the trade is right he'd give us a real edge this season and a good building block for the future with our team being so young.. But apparently NY want a trade will be interesting.

Just catching up the past few days with the off season news I've missed.. Where do we see Caremelo ending up then? Rumored with everybody, currently the celtics and he's the last of the big free agents really that are likely gonna make a move. Personally I'd love him in Boston and think if the trade is right he'd give us a real edge this season and a good building block for the future with our team being so young.. But apparently NY want a trade will be interesting.

I actually don't see the Knicks trading Melo...yet. At least I hope not. I'm still clinging to the hope that Melo somehow convinces KD to come to New York next year...

Really? Is that as a replacement for himself :p

Nope. We're turning this thing around. Honestly. :D

I'll believe it when I see it.

To be fair pretty much everyone in that division has gained strength during the off season in one way or another. But still not convinced many if any will make the playoffs again.