The NBA Discussion Thread

Art Vandelay

Really? Is that as a replacement for himself :p

Nope. We're turning this thing around. Honestly. :D

I'll believe it when I see it.

To be fair pretty much everyone in that division has gained strength during the off season in one way or another. But still not convinced many if any will make the playoffs again.

I dunno, I see the Nets falling out. Barring any injuries, I see the Pacers and Heat making the East playoffs this coming season. I'd love to see the Knicks in there, but obviously I've got no idea right now if that new team will gel. I just want to see them be better than last year, for Melo to stay and for Porzingis to be given enough minutes to really develop his game.

In the West I see Portland falling out of the Playoffs and the Thunder obviously making it back this time round.

Where do we see Caremelo ending up then?

I see him staying with the Knicks, I'm sure Phil Jackson will go all out to keep him there. He's someone you build a team around, a major piece and if you lose someone like Melo then they have to go back to the drawing board, finish poorly and hope they hit the lottery with future draft picks. But if he does decide to exercise his free agency options - Nets, Lakers, Mavs & possibly the Celtics are all potential teams he could end up on. This page is useful to keep up-to-date with free agent signings, trades and such here: http://www.sbnation.com/2015/6/30/8860381/nba-free-agent-signings-tracker-2015-rumors

I see him staying with the Knicks, I'm sure Phil Jackson will go all out to keep him there. He's someone you build a team around, a major piece and if you lose someone like Melo then they have to go back to the drawing board, finish poorly and hope they hit the lottery with future draft picks. But if he does decide to exercise his free agency options - Nets, Lakers, Mavs & possibly the Celtics are all potential teams he could end up on. This page is useful to keep up-to-date with free agent signings, trades and such here: http://www.sbnation.com/2015/6/30/8860381/nba-free-agent-signings-tracker-2015-rumors

Thing is though, he doesn't have free agency options for a long time. He's even got a no trade clause in his contract, so the only way he could be traded would be if he agreed to it all and another team decided to take on his salary. If they have another disaster of a season and don't land KD or anyone else, I could see him agreeing to a trade next year....maybe....

Not strictly NBA related but the FIBA EUROBASKET tournament has been pretty good. Caught games here and there. Yesterday's Spain/France Semi-Final was superb. Went down to OT. Well worth a watch a game live @ 8PM UK time on NBA TV and the final on Sunday at same time. No timewasting, constant fouling but getting away with it BS the NBA's had for a little while either. Game was over within 2 hours yesterday and that included a period of OT.

Sound negative about the NBA but surely other's agree games can be stupidly long for no real reason and there's a lot of BS calls and tactics at points during the mid-season. Takes away from the game IMO.

Thing is though, he doesn't have free agency options for a long time. He's even got a no trade clause in his contract, so the only way he could be traded would be if he agreed to it all and another team decided to take on his salary. If they have another disaster of a season and don't land KD or anyone else, I could see him agreeing to a trade next year....maybe....

Yea, you're right, his current deal reportedly ends in 2018, so he won't be a free agent til then. So I must have misread an early post as I thought Melo was a free agent. Because of his huge contract (think it's something like 5 years, $124m which he signed in 2014) is a big stumbling block for any potential move, as unless a team has available cap space for a trade, that's a no-go anyway. Unless someone like the Mavs or the Lakers want to pay the luxury tax I don't see another team making a run for Carmelo, since I assume they would have to pick up the remainder of his contract. I don't know if the Knicks have traded any first round or good second round draft picks away, but the only way forward now for NY is to either stick with Melo and surround him with good level role/established players (ala what Miami did with LeBron where they brought in Ray Allen et al) and hope for the best, or they go into rebuild mode and push Melo for a trade at the end of the season and try and get some quality draft pick(s). I actually think the best option for the Knicks is for Phil to go back into a coaching role or try and impart Derek Fisher with as much knowledge as possible, essentially teaching him what I guess you could call the Tao of Phil. But whether Carmelo Anthony will be the Michael Jordan to Fish's Phil Jackson is a whole other question entirely. Plus MJ was in a league of his own, whilst in the current NBA Melo has KD, Westbrook, Steph Curry, James Harden, Klay Thompson, CP3, Anthony Davis, LeBron & D-Wade to name a few among his peers and are arguably at the same level or in certain cases like LeBron surpass him skill wise. Back in Jordan's heyday he mainly had to deal with the likes of Bird, Malone, Charles, Magic,  Gary Payton & Clyde the Gilde among others, whilst they are all time greats and current or future Hall of Famers,  the skill level among NBA players has grown considerably over the years where there's more elite level players than ever before.       

Yea, you're right, his current deal reportedly ends in 2018, so he won't be a free agent til then. So I must have misread an early post as I thought Melo was a free agent. Because of his huge contract (think it's something like 5 years, $124m which he signed in 2014) is a big stumbling block for any potential move, as unless a team has available cap space for a trade, that's a no-go anyway. Unless someone like the Mavs or the Lakers want to pay the luxury tax I don't see another team making a run for Carmelo, since I assume they would have to pick up the remainder of his contract. I don't know if the Knicks have traded any first round or good second round draft picks away, but the only way forward now for NY is to either stick with Melo and surround him with good level role/established players (ala what Miami did with LeBron where they brought in Ray Allen et al) and hope for the best, or they go into rebuild mode and push Melo for a trade at the end of the season and try and get some quality draft pick(s). I actually think the best option for the Knicks is for Phil to go back into a coaching role or try and impart Derek Fisher with as much knowledge as possible, essentially teaching him what I guess you could call the Tao of Phil. But whether Carmelo Anthony will be the Michael Jordan to Fish's Phil Jackson is a whole other question entirely. Plus MJ was in a league of his own, whilst in the current NBA Melo has KD, Westbrook, Steph Curry, James Harden, Klay Thompson, CP3, Anthony Davis, LeBron & D-Wade to name a few among his peers and are arguably at the same level or in certain cases like LeBron surpass him skill wise. Back in Jordan's heyday he mainly had to deal with the likes of Bird, Malone, Charles, Magic,  Gary Payton & Clyde the Gilde among others, whilst they are all time greats and current or future Hall of Famers,  the skill level among NBA players has grown considerably over the years where there's more elite level players than ever before.       

Thing is, I'm not sold on Fisher as a coach at all. Granted, he had nothing to work with last season and the team were a mess, but I just don't know if he's the right choice. I'm willing to give him a chance, but if the Knicks are a disaster again this year, I could see him going.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Thunder vs Magic game was insane.

The Magic blew an 18 point lead in the 4th quarter, only to score what appeared to be a game winning 3-pointer with only 3 seconds left. With no timeouts left, Westbrook scored with only a second to go from just inside half court. In overtime, the Thunder had it in the bag, until the Magic scored a 3 pointer in the dying moments (which happened to be the first field goal they scored during overtime). The Thunder eventually won in the second overtime. As a Magic fan, I was gutted. 

To make matter worse, I support the Lakers in the West. 

Edited by jimufctna24

Yep, absolutely crazy. Was watching my celtics play arguably there worst ever so far under Brad Stevens and ended up watching the majority of the final quarter of the magic game instead. Felt heart sorry for the crowd to seeing as Orlando where at home. But what a game. We're only 2 into the season as well!

• Paid Members

Been a great start to the season. Does look like Curry is continuing on with ridiculous form. The start of the season is always fun as your full off optimism for your team. I did have a chuckle looking back at the last few posts as everyone supports a team who has no hope of winning the big one this year. UKFF basketball watchers are drawn to the shit teams this year it seems

Speaking of being drawn to shit teams this year out of curiosity how did you all choose your basketball teams? Obviously over here with Football/Rugby etc it's generally your dad's team or local team. But doesn't quite happen for the NBA unless you're actually from the States. 

I started it following about 2011/10 only due to a friend in high-school supporting the Celtics against the large Filipino contingent we had at my school who all supported Lakers. Plus the Celtics colours/name matched my football team 'Celtic's.' Plus they where starting to slowly lose momentum so seemed a perfect fit. 

I also follow Magic and hope they do well purely due to the way they treated myself and family as a Make A Wish in 2012, sorted us out with seats that where something in the range of $250 - 300 a go, letting me do the high-fives on court, meet the coach at the time, listen in to the ref speak to the two players going for the tip-off, chat with some of the players and just generally one of the most incredible experiences ever.  

Edited by seanz25