UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I forgot about this - Sod the rest, this is the worst broken nose in MMA history;

nose.jpg

Ex TUFer Ryan McGillivray. Fuuuck!

Just seen on twitter that Fabio Maldonado wants to fight Hendo. Hendo will want a bigger name than Fabio but I'd actually love to see that fight. Won't happen though.

Who picked Nog to KO Roy Nelson in the poll? It's a crazy sport but I'd be interested to hear the thinking behind that vote.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Hendo seems to think he's heading for the UFC title so he probably won't see Maldonado as an appealing fight. And I guess Maldonado would be a step back after smashing Shogun's face. But yeah, you can see why Hendo wouldn't fancy it at this stage. He's 43 and wants one last run at UFC gold, Fabio won't get him closer to that really. Still, I'd love that fight if it actually happened.

Some Maldonado stuff from twitter;

Michael Carroll @MJCflipdascript

Maldonado out-landed Villante 132 to 33. Maldonado's +99 strike differential is 2nd biggest in LHW history.

Maldonado landed 72 in R3, a new single round LHW record. His 59 in R2 are the 5th most by a LHW.

And Jordan Breen on the Maldonado vs Villante fight not being stopped;

Jordan Breen @jordanbreen

That fight so nicely details the uneven nature of MMA stoppage theories. OH NO HE FELL DOWN SAVE HIM. Hey, he's dying, but he's standing!

Bit extreme but I agree with his overall point. There really was no reason to let that fight continue by midway through the third. It was clear Villante was done as fuck. But because he didn't go down, the ref just let him take a battering. When you contrast that with the Jason/Siler early stoppage earlier in the night it really highlights the inconsistency.

How about Maldonado vs Shogun?

• Paid Members
Yeah, Hendo seems to think he's heading for the UFC title so he probably won't see Maldonado as an appealing fight. And I guess Maldonado would be a step back after smashing Shogun's face. But yeah, you can see why Hendo wouldn't fancy it at this stage. He's 43 and wants one last run at UFC gold, Fabio won't get him closer to that really. Still, I'd love that fight if it actually happened.

Some Maldonado stuff from twitter;

Michael Carroll @MJCflipdascript

Maldonado out-landed Villante 132 to 33. Maldonado's +99 strike differential is 2nd biggest in LHW history.

Maldonado landed 72 in R3, a new single round LHW record. His 59 in R2 are the 5th most by a LHW.

And Jordan Breen on the Maldonado vs Villante fight not being stopped;

Jordan Breen @jordanbreen

That fight so nicely details the uneven nature of MMA stoppage theories. OH NO HE FELL DOWN SAVE HIM. Hey, he's dying, but he's standing!

Bit extreme but I agree with his overall point. There really was no reason to let that fight continue by midway through the third. It was clear Villante was done as fuck. But because he didn't go down, the ref just let him take a battering. When you contrast that with the Jason/Siler early stoppage earlier in the night it really highlights the inconsistency.

How about Maldonado vs Shogun?

The Jason/Siler stoppage was horrible. The ref. jumped in without even seeing how Siler was when he hit the ground, i guess if you think a man is stone cold KO'd you instinctively would wanna jump in but seeings that this isn't boxing you have to let it go, Siler was dropped but he was clearly able to continue.

• Paid Members

Yeah the whole finish was weird really. Rony Jason smacked Siler in the side of the head and Siler was stumbling around holding the top of his head for some reason. Then as soon as he hit the floor the ref dived in and waved the fight off. Despite Siler clearly looking aware and alert, and throwing fucking upkicks! He wasn't just intelligently defending himself, he was actually being offensive as well. Terrible stoppage.

• Paid Members

Recent picture of Roy 'Not As Big Country' Nelson;

gTm8dlQ.jpg

He's definitely dropped some weight, hasn't he? This is the first potentially five round fight of his career so obviously a wise move. I'll be interested to see what he weighs in at. If he had a shave he'd probably make 185.

• Paid Members

We see this with Roy every time. Close to fights he looks like he's shed a load of weight. Then come fight night he still looks like a fat fuck who's been filling up on BK double whoppers as his preferred dish throughout fight camp.

• Paid Members

Oh I'm not expecting him to look like Lex Luger on the night or anything. He'll be a fat fuck because he is a fat fuck.

But he's shown before that he can be less of a fat fuck when he tries/knocks the Rustler burgers on the head. Around 2011ish he was noticeably less rotund, around the time he fought Cro Cop. He'd just lost to Mir where he looked awful and everyone was criticising his weight/gassing. He usually gets his arse in gear and drops some blubber when he's coming off losses. And he's coming off two in a row now. Plus it's a five rounder so it would make sense to lose some weight. Of course once he starts winning again he stops giving a fuck and returns to his state of maximum fattage.

There's different degrees of fat with Nelson. I think we'll see a still flabby but slightly less bloaty version of Roy for this fight. If he's got any brains at all he'll have done a lot of cardio for this fight. I still have a feeling he's going to crack Nog early but he can't rely on that and come in his usual massive shape, because if the early KO doesn't come, he'll be fucked by round two like he was against Miocic.

• Paid Members
Oh I'm not expecting him to look like Lex Luger on the night or anything. He'll be a fat fuck because he is a fat fuck.

But he's shown before that he can be less of a fat fuck when he tries/knocks the Rustler burgers on the head. Around 2011ish he was noticeably less rotund, around the time he fought Cro Cop. He'd just lost to Mir where he looked awful and everyone was criticising his weight/gassing. He usually gets his arse in gear and drops some blubber when he's coming off losses. And he's coming off two in a row now. Plus it's a five rounder so it would make sense to lose some weight. Of course once he starts winning again he stops giving a fuck and returns to his state of maximum fattage.

There's different degrees of fat with Nelson. I think we'll see a still flabby but slightly less bloaty version of Roy for this fight. If he's got any brains at all he'll have done a lot of cardio for this fight. I still have a feeling he's going to crack Nog early but he can't rely on that and come in his usual massive shape, because if the early KO doesn't come, he'll be fucked by round two like he was against Miocic.

I'm not sure if it's becasue I'm a new MMA fan, but to me it distracts from the legitimacy of the sport a little. I'm not trying to say he doesn't work and train hard, nor that he's a bad or unskilled fighter. But visually, when you see a guy on screen that looks like Nelson, it makes you think joke sport used an excuse for people to batter each other. It doesn't make you think disciplined, professional legitimate sport.

I'm not sure if it's becasue I'm a new MMA fan, but to me it distracts from the legitimacy of the sport a little. I'm not trying to say he doesn't work and train hard, nor that he's a bad or unskilled fighter. But visually, when you see a guy on screen that looks like Nelson, it makes you think joke sport used an excuse for people to batter each other. It doesn't make you think disciplined, professional legitimate sport.

I agree with this, and so do the sponsors and UFC management.

Archived