F1 2013 Season Discussion Thread

jimufctna24

As for nearly men, I have to wonder how good Jos Verstappen would have been if he had been in a front of pack car. He always pulled whatever he could from the cars he was in.

:thumbsup: Nice obscure choice.

I presume you feel he did not get a fair shake with Benneton. A lot of people think Schumi had a unfair advantage against his teammates there and think Flavio was in his back pocket. Not just Jos, but Johnny Herbert said the same thing.

Could be sour grapes, but some buy it.

He never had a fair shake at all with Benneton, for want of better words he was basically Flavio's bitch. I think what made it worse was when Flavio loaned Jos out to Simtek knowing fine well they had bugger all money (they actually stopped racing after Monaco that year).

The main body of his work was for the Orange Arrows team that mainly grabbed my attention in a car that like the driver had some much potential.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am prone to agree, but say that to Schumi die-hard's and you will get a very defensive argument back.

Eddie Irvine is a bit kinder about Scumi, but I think Rubens dislikes him for various reasons as well. There is no doubt that Scumacher had a stranglehold of Benneton and Ferrari, the question is just how much to he distort his teammates in the progress and make himself look better than he was.

Like has always been said, it is very hard to say.

I bloody well hope so!

I am not going to get to optimistic just yet as Red Bull have yet to show their true pace. I think Lotus could be strong, Mclaren seem to be having problems and Ferrari had pretty unfortunate day today but looked good on other days.

Really cannot wait until 2 weeks.

Rosberg was fastest on the last day of testing beating Hamilton's time from Saturday. I think the signs are there that the order may be a bit different this year. Red Bull, Mercedes and Lotus all look good, Ferrari seem to be better off than last year while McLaren have gone backwards a little.

The track seemed to be faster on Sunday than Saturday. Most Sunday drivers beat their teammates time on Saturday.

Still, Mercedes had a wonderful weekend of testing, just hope there tyre ware problems do not effect their race pace. I think Lewis may snatch pole in OZ, or at least be in the top 3 or 4. In the race I think he will finish around 5th or 6th but I hope to be proved wrong.

They all look bloody fast actually - it reminds me of the start of 2011 (I think) when everyone was qualifying within a second of each other.

Mercedes definitely seem to have found a sweet design though, that's surprising. I doubt McLaren have gone backwards though, I just think it's a car for Jenson, so probably geared more to race pace than single lap speed.

• Paid Members

I have paid absolutely no attention to testing this year. I just wasn't arsed. The thing with testing is that it doesn't mean anything. You can't tell who's actually fast and who's not because they'll be trying different strategies, tyres, weights, etc. Plus some teams sandbag to make the other teams think they're slower. I'm still excited for the start of the season though. I've got my eye on Kimi. My lovely, lovely Kimi.

I have paid absolutely no attention to testing this year. I just wasn't arsed. The thing with testing is that it doesn't mean anything. You can't tell who's actually fast and who's not because they'll be trying different strategies, tyres, weights, etc. Plus some teams sandbag to make the other teams think they're slower.

This. This times a million. Testing is wonderful for getting to see cars going around a track and there being some F1 news to talk about, but it doesn't mean a thing. We can see that the cars work and that the tyres this year seem to be made out of jelly based on their durability. Teams are sandbagging at different points, very few will have actually set a hot lap on very low fuel to give an indication of their outright pace and even race simulations will be skewed slightly. By the time the teams get to Melbourne and hit the track, they'll have so many different bits and pieces that we may as well reset.

We won't know who has the fastest car until Saturday in Melbourne. At that point, we'll see who has the fastest car on pure pace in the early parts. As things stand, you could pick any one of the front five teams and say they could feasibly be on pole in Australia. If the pack is close (well, almost all of the pack, Marussia and Caterham still seem an eternity away), then it could make for some good racing in the early season, especially until the teams get on top of the tyres.

• Paid Members

Marussia are unbelievably crap. I can't believe how they shat on Luis Razia from such a great height too and replaced him at the last minute with Bianchi. They haven't improved since 2010 and are nowhere near scoring points. They had Glock on their side but couldn't afford to keep him so have gone for two rookies (with Max Chilton) instead. They are just a joke. Even Minardi weren't this bad. I was so into Virgin when they first started. I thought they were a breath of fresh air with their CAD engines and cool new-boy appeal but they rapidly went downhill after their first year. Or actually, everyone else went uphill except them. Even HRT did better than them last year. They should just give up.

Archived