2012/2013 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably a bit too early to tell how good Dundee Utd will be this season but in the space of a week, I've watched them twice and I've been thoroughly impressed both times. Hibs are woeful but Utd were well worth a 3-0 win. They could have had a similar scoreline against Dinamo Moscow the other night because they were bloody excellent. So unfortunate to lose two goals (especially one so late on) but they'll take heart from the performance.

Some quality players in that side. Mackay-Steven is obviously the pick of the bunch. If I was Neil Lennon, I'd look at signing him now and loaning him back to Utd for the rest of the season. Someone is going to get a bargain there.

I know it isn't on the same scale as Rangers but if clubs are fiddling the numbers for tax reasons, shouldn't they be punished?

They should be, but the cost of an investigation would put them in negative figures as it's not exactly huge numbers, and they can easily claim exemption on the basis of people sneaking in. Also, it's really unknown if they give the wrong figures to HMRC or not.

United have started their annual bigging up of players so they can try and sell them on with Whitney saying they will only sell Russell and GMS for "silly money", but they'd be gone if a

I know it isn't on the same scale as Rangers but if clubs are fiddling the numbers for tax reasons, shouldn't they be punished?

They should be, but the cost of an investigation would put them in negative figures as it's not exactly huge numbers, and they can easily claim exemption on the basis of people sneaking in. Also, it's really unknown if they give the wrong figures to HMRC or not.

United have started their annual bigging up of players so they can try and sell them on with Whitney saying they will only sell Russell and GMS for "silly money", but they'd be gone if a

This interesting wee news cutting from 1967 turned up on a Celtic forum I visit:

scorers.jpg

Caught my eye for three reasons. On the basis of the scorers at the side, Celtic must have been banging them in for fun at this time. Also, look who lurks in third place behind Joe McBride and Stevie Chalmers. Sir Alex probably gets under-rated as a striker. That's some effort for playing in a side that wasn't at the top at a time when Scottish football was pretty damn good. That leads me to the third and perhaps most baffling thing. Killie were in a European semi-final :omg:

I'm not sure if there's any way of proving it to be honest, as most clubs outside the Old Firm don't deal in actual tickets.

This interesting wee news cutting from 1967 turned up on a Celtic forum I visit:

scorers.jpg

Caught my eye for three reasons. On the basis of the scorers at the side, Celtic must have been banging them in for fun at this time. Also, look who lurks in third place behind Joe McBride and Stevie Chalmers. Sir Alex probably gets under-rated as a striker. That's some effort for playing in a side that wasn't at the top at a time when Scottish football was pretty damn good. That leads me to the third and perhaps most baffling thing. Killie were in a European semi-final :omg:

That was actually Dunfermlines golden era, Liquid. Two Scottish cup wins and a semi-final of the cup winners cup. Ferguson played in probably the best Pars' team ever.

scorers.jpg

That was actually Dunfermlines golden era, Liquid. Two Scottish cup wins and a semi-final of the cup winners cup. Ferguson played in probably the best Pars' team ever.

Ah, apologies. I stand corrected. Still, I'm interested in Ferguson's playing career. He seems to get put into that category of "not so good player, brilliant manager" which I think might be unfair. My granda says he was a great striker. He also has a pretty prolific record at all the clubs he played for. It seems bizarre that Rangers dropped him off the back of one bad mistake. I think everyone's seen the clip of him losing Billy McNeill at a corner in the 1969 Scottish Cup final but I'm sure that would have happened fairly often at the time. I wonder what happened.

scorers.jpg

Ah, apologies. I stand corrected. Still, I'm interested in Ferguson's playing career. He seems to get put into that category of "not so good player, brilliant manager" which I think might be unfair. My granda says he was a great striker. He also has a pretty prolific record at all the clubs he played for. It seems bizarre that Rangers dropped him off the back of one bad mistake. I think everyone's seen the clip of him losing Billy McNeill at a corner in the 1969 Scottish Cup final but I'm sure that would have happened fairly often at the time. I wonder what happened.

He was quite open about it in his book IIRC that he perceived there to be a vendetta against him from senior figures at Ibrox simply because it became knowledge he was married to a Catholic. I don't know if he mentioned any names as it was years ago when i read it but it got a fair bit of press at the time.

He was quite open about it in his book IIRC that he perceived there to be a vendetta against him from senior figures at Ibrox simply because it became knowledge he was married to a Catholic. I don't know if he mentioned any names as it was years ago when i read it but it got a fair bit of press at the time.

Er, no. He says in his book that Rangers were well aware of his wife's religion beforehand and that his leaving Rangers was almost entirely to do with the Cup Final mistake.

Kilmarnock should never have been in the fairs cup that year! Clyde should have qualified as they came third in the league but you were only allowed one team from each city in the Fair's cup and Rangers had already qualified so the place went to Kilmarnock. If Killie made the semis Clyde I'm sure would have easily made the final.

Do you mean Europe or the Fairs cup, because Rangers don't even seem listed in it.

also the 1965 66 table has kilmarnock in 3rd and Clyde 11th

wrong year?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965%E2%80%93...ottish_football

edit: it was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966-67_Scott...Football_League

sorry to sound cheeky but to play in europe in 67 you have to qualify in 66. ;)

Second edit: also Kilmarnock didn't even compeate in the folowing fairs cup (67,68) so what are you on about?

Do you mean Europe or the Fairs cup, because Rangers don't even seem listed in it.

also the 1965 66 table has kilmarnock in 3rd and Clyde 11th

wrong year?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965%E2%80%93...ottish_football

edit: it was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966-67_Scott...Football_League

sorry to sound cheeky but to play in europe in 67 you have to qualify in 66. ;)

Second edit: also Kilmarnock didn't even compeate in the folowing fairs cup (67,68) so what are you on about?

You're quite right, I was a year out and it was Dundee rather than Killie who took our place and who also made the semis.

Apologies!

Archived