2012/2013 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only way to describe how I feel today is simply gutted. To go from getting a penalty that could see us into a 1-0 lead on the 76 minute mark to going 1-0 down on the 78 minute mark is ridiculous.

A tough break today.

It was a hard fought game. I vehemently disagree with the award of the penalty so it was justice that the Great Wall saved it. He's becoming an indispensable asset to our team. Boruc saved some heroic penalties (Man Utd, Spartak) but Fraser has started to save them consistently. Love the guy.

The goal we scored was a lovely move. That was really the difference today.

The first one was slightly dubious, but it was offset by the penalty claim we had denied later in the game, which was a more concrete one. You don't get two penalties at Ibrox/Parkhead though, regardless of the circumstances.

The only way to describe how I feel today is simply gutted. To go from getting a penalty that could see us into a 1-0 lead on the 76 minute mark to going 1-0 down on the 78 minute mark is ridiculous.

A tough break today.

It was a hard fought game. I vehemently disagree with the award of the penalty so it was justice that the Great Wall saved it. He's becoming an indispensable asset to our team. Boruc saved some heroic penalties (Man Utd, Spartak) but Fraser has started to save them consistently. Love the guy.

The goal we scored was a lovely move. That was really the difference today.

The first one was slightly dubious, but it was offset by the penalty claim we had denied later in the game, which was a more concrete one. You don't get two penalties at Ibrox/Parkhead though, regardless of the circumstances.

Yeah, you just get one you didn't deserve so it evens itself out.

• Paid Members
Any Celts regretting letting Niall McGinn go for nothing given the season he's having at Aberdeen?

Him and Mark Wilson, they're both players I felt never really got a proper chance and the little chances they did get they showed tremendous passion and determination. Even if they weren't in Lennon's plans, it was silly not to try and make a bit of money from them, far worse players have left us for a few quid. Why they were both let go for nothing, I'll never understand.

Morton took a humping by a fairly dreadful Dumbarton team. To be fair, the fully deserved the win, and attacked us from the word go, which not many sides have come to Cappielow and done. They decided attack was the best form of defending. They've now won their last two games and scored seven in them games. Can't say I'd be confident that even if Morton had turned up, they would have won.

We were shite though, but they had played two intense games at the top of the table, and a flat performance like that was going to be coming. I just hope we can recover from that.

Any Celts regretting letting Niall McGinn go for nothing given the season he's having at Aberdeen?

Him and Mark Wilson, they're both players I felt never really got a proper chance and the little chances they did get they showed tremendous passion and determination. Even if they weren't in Lennon's plans, it was silly not to try and make a bit of money from them, far worse players have left us for a few quid. Why they were both let go for nothing, I'll never understand.

Mark Wilson didn't get a chance? Are you serious? He played for us for about six years! In that time he played in cup finals, Champions League games, was named in the UEFA Team of the Week for his performance against Manchester United, scored the winner against Rangers (every boyhood Celtic fan's dream) and has a decent medal haul. Granted, the 2010/2011 season was by far his best for us when he was one of the first names on the team sheet. But his time came and he knew that. Do you really think he's better than Matthews or Lustig (who has come good IMO)?

I don't think Mark Wilson will have any regrets about his Celtic career. Perhaps being injured too often. Other than that, he was a fine servant to the club and I'm sure he will always look back on his time with us with pride - and rightly so. You wouldn't say he was a legend but I imagine most supporters would be complimentary of Wilson if he was mentioned.

Concerning Niall McGinn - no, I'm not sorry we let him go. Rather, I'm delighted he has found great form. He featured more than you'd think for us and whilst a decent squad player, he was never gonna play every game. He is a good player and I always knew he'd do a job somewhere. He's a good fit for a team like Aberdeen.

The big one leaving Celtic this summer as far as the rest of the SPL is concerned will likely be Paddy McCourt. His contract is up in the summer, and he's already been linked with Killie apparently.

I wouldn't mind seeing him at Fir Park (fat chance, right?) as he's a fucking cracking player.

I hope Paddy stays in the SPL if he moves on. He would improve any team in the league. I'm in a minority of Celtic fans that feels he can actually contribute something to us as a squad player. People have short memories concerning McCourt. It is forgotten that he was a first team player once upon a time, scoring important goals and contributing well in other areas. It was the arrival of Kris Commons that displaced him. I think he is probably better off moving for his own good but I hope he stays in Scotland.

Everyone is aware of those amazing goals he can score and all the weaving runs etc, but I'll tell you this: I'd be willing to bet there aren't many better passers of the ball in the league. He's great.

How did Mark Wilson not get a chance? He played in the majority of games in Lennon's first season as well as playing the majority of games under Strachan, when he was fit. When he was fit being the keywords there, he's no longer with Celtic because we were paying a player to only play half a season, if that, each year.

The big one leaving Celtic this summer as far as the rest of the SPL is concerned will likely be Paddy McCourt. His contract is up in the summer, and he's already been linked with Killie apparently.

I wouldn't mind seeing him at Fir Park (fat chance, right?) as he's a fucking cracking player.

I wouldn't mind seeing him at any other club bar Celtic. He's fucking shite and contributes nothing. He scored a couple of good goals and has done the grand total of fuck all since. It's largely annoying that he is our "go to guy" when we want to turn a game round because he's not turned a game round in god knows how long. His last big impact was losing the ball at Tannadice, costing us the win.

• Paid Members

I shouldn't have lumped McGinn and Wilson together. McGinn, I stand by, I don't think he was offered a proper chance with a regular first team place.

Wilson on the other hand, I meant more that he wasn't allowed to achieve his full potential, he played 98 games for us across his 6 seasons, that works out at around 16 games a season, a good few of them probably being friendlies and early cup stages. He reminded me a lot of Jackie McNamara, one of my all time favourites, maybe that's why I'm a bit bitter about him leaving to be honest and the fact that he took out Papac with that goal against them.

I shouldn't have lumped McGinn and Wilson together. McGinn, I stand by, I don't think he was offered a proper chance with a regular first team place.

Wilson on the other hand, I meant more that he wasn't allowed to achieve his full potential, he played 98 games for us across his 6 seasons, that works out at around 16 games a season, a good few of them probably being friendlies and early cup stages. He reminded me a lot of Jackie McNamara, one of my all time favourites, maybe that's why I'm a bit bitter about him leaving to be honest and the fact that he took out Papac with that goal against them.

Wilson playing so little games was down to his fitness though. Nothing to do with not being allowed to achieve his potential.

I've always been amused by the polar reactions that McCourt gets from Celtic fans. Case in point;

I'd be willing to bet there aren't many better passers of the ball in the league. He's great.

I wouldn't mind seeing him at any other club bar Celtic. He's fucking shite and contributes nothing.

:laugh:

I think it's a great disservice to Paddy to call him "fucking shite". Like I said, short memories. It's not his fault he's the "go-to" man. Even then, he's done that job well on several occasions. He is never going to play for Barcelona or Real Madrid but he's certainly good enough to play in the SPL or the Championship.

Archived