The Diabetes Thread

tom

• Paid Members

After a pretty shit feeling two months I finally got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and am starting to get my insulin doses balanced. So, any fellow UKFF diabetics? I'm currently dosed on 40 and 20. Hope this generates some discussion and becomes a place for us insulin junkies to mingle and share our experiences.

I was diagnosed type 2 over 4 years ago and I still cant get my medication right. I have changed loads, gave up smoking, gave up drinking, gave up sugary drinks, gave up lots of sugary foods, not quite as many as I should have. I still dont know enough about the condition to fully understand how to keep myself as well controlled as possible. This thread might teach me a thing or two.

• Paid Members

I'm quite lucky in as much as I was never a big sugar consumer anyway so I don't find it so bad going without chocolates etc. and I had diet/zero versions of fizzy drinks on the rare occasions I had/have them.

• Paid Members

Sorry to hear that. Both my parents are diabetic, my mom manages easy enough just with tablets and a careful diet but my dad's had all sorts of hassle with blood circulation in his legs and stuff. Not nice at all.

But I take it in your case it's been picked up on relatively early so hopefully you'll manage it without too much bother. My mom was diagnosed about 11 or 12 years ago now I think and she's been doing fine.

I don't have Diabetes but I do hope this thread has the desired effect for you guys. The Depression thread certainly helped a lot of people, myself included.

Ahhh, UKFF, the self help centre for wrestling fans' illnesses!

I am type 2. Still getting used to diet side of things and not looking forward to becoming type 1. My father was and died in his thirties so being diagnosed this year obviously wasn't the most fun.

From what I was told you are either ype 1 or type 2, you dont go from one to another, however some type 2 diabetics develop the need for injecting insulin. Dunno if thats 100% accurate but hope so otherwise my diabetic nurse is clueless :laugh:

I am type 2. Still getting used to diet side of things and not looking forward to becoming type 1. My father was and died in his thirties so being diagnosed this year obviously wasn't the most fun.

From what I was told you are either ype 1 or type 2, you dont go from one to another, however some type 2 diabetics develop the need for injecting insulin. Dunno if thats 100% accurate but hope so otherwise my diabetic nurse is clueless :laugh:

You can't go from type 1 to 2 but you can go from 2 to 1. Type 2 you can still control with some medication and revised diet but if not controlled, can become type 1.

• Paid Members

Type 1 here, with slight retinopathy (thankfully being treated) and neuropathy I managed to find part time job and an understanding boss to work for since I got turned away a lot for a normal full time job so it can effect that sort of thing, recently changed the way I take my insulin from the old 3 times a day to counting the the carbs on the back of food package and injecting every time I have a meal/sandwich etc. i.e 20 carbs = 2 units injected, plus a different insulin for when I get up.

I've been diabetic since 1991 (God, I'm getting old.) I've had no real complications (yet) although I've been told recently that I have the dreaded "changes" in my eyes. :(

For the record, you don't "change" from Type 2 to Type 1. You may end up needing to take insulin but that doesn't actually change the particular condition you have. Even that is not a case of your diabetes getting "worse." It's just a difference in how it needs to be treated. The same goes for the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 in the first place. One is not "worse" or "more severe" than the other. They're very similar conditions that have broad similarities in how they're treated, but they're still different. Man, I could spend all day doing nothing but myth-busting here.

• Paid Members

Type 2 here, been diagnosed for 3ish years.

I cut the diet fizzy pop right out, and whatever limited sugary stuff i did consume, so dropped a couple of stone easily enough. Am finding it harder now though, pressures at work mostly (was risk of redundancy for a while, until someone became pregnant so they realised they need me to cover) which to some is just a 'fatties excuse' as to why they haven't kept up the wight loss. Have put some back on i'm sure.

Am on 2xmetformine twice a day, and that's it for the moment.

Have just had the summons to go in for the latest blood test, and have been putting off a general trip due to higher blood pressure (related to the above job situation). Am going to have to bite the bullett, and suffer the weigh-in and resultant telling off.

Sad to admit, that like fye, I don't know enough about the condition to look after myself properly at this time. All my own doing that though. Can get so depressing at times, with no one close to talk too.

Archived