Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart at Wrestlemania 26...

CiderBag

If WWE had booked Bret's return to peak with a Shawn vs Bret match at Mania, do you think they could have pulled it off? With Shawn being in a heel position basically doing all the bumping, and Bret getting in his spots for the first time in years (at the rate he performed at MSG a few months after that Mania, hitting second rope elbows et all) could the two of pulled off a memorable little match 3/4 up the card?

Bring Vince into the mix to buy some time and add some fun to the match (perhaps trying to screw Bret again...)

I think if anybody could have made Bret look good on the day he had that awful match with Vince it would have been Shawn.

What do you think? Could Shawn have pulled it off? Or would was the excellence of concussion too past it? Or is Smith Hart being involved in the match the way God intended it?

I think it certainly could have worked. What experience does HBK have against non-active opponents? They certainly could have pulled out an alright match, althoguh that would bring on the question as to who Undertaker would face.

For Wrestlemania, I think Hart vs. McMahon would have had more importance. However, I always felt that the perfect way to bring back Bret was a Survivor Series match in Canada with Vince, Shane and DX taking on Bret, Edge, Jericho and Christian. It means Bret doesn't have to work a full match or take any bumps and also allows the others to do their thing and carry the match.

Forrest, forget Undertaker, he faced Ultimate Warrior. Different story for a different day ;) Just on about Michaels vs Hart and whether the match would have worked.

Richard, I'd forget how he sold in Vince match (he sold absolute minimal). Bret could have (and I dare say would have) sold more for Shawn in the manner of working over knees, figure four, chair shots which blatantly miss the legs but are sold anyway etc. I'm assuming Michaels in the heel role (its the only way the match would work) and I'#m picturing him in SS05 overselling mode.

• Paid Members

Bret and Shawn could have worked a more than decent match, but Bret would never have gone for it. He would have too much pride to go out there and let Shawn do all the hard work, highlighting how good he still was while Bret was a fragile shell of his former self. It would have destroyed his already low confidence to go in there across the ring from his greatest rival and come out looking far inferior.

• Paid Members
Bret and Shawn could have worked a more than decent match, but Bret would never have gone for it.

Legally speaking, I don't think they could have due to his settlement with Lloyds of London, hence he took virtually no abuse in his handful of matches in WWE in 2010.

Would I be right in saying that he was undefeated in his 2010 run? He defeated McMahon at WM, then he beat The Miz and vacated the title, he was in the Cenation team at Summerslam which won and then his match with Undertaker on Raw was thrown out. Any others?

Would I be right in saying that he was undefeated in his 2010 run? He defeated McMahon at WM, then he beat The Miz and vacated the title, he was in the Cenation team at Summerslam which won and then his match with Undertaker on Raw was thrown out. Any others?

There were a bunch of tags with Nattie, Tyson and Smith mainly taking on Nexus formations. Check out the MSG match on YouTube where he dished out more than usual.

• Paid Members

I loved HBK/Hart matches don't get me wrong but I wouldn't have wanted to see Bret fight anyone else but Vince years later. Seeing him reconcile with both Vince and HBK was dramatic enough, so personally it didn't warrant an actual match. Time to create new rivalries me thinks!

Thought you were talking about "if" the rumoured hbk vs hart match happened at mania 13. It certainly would of saved a lacklustre ppv, and I would of love to of seen the rumoured finish (which I believe was meant to be hart countering hbk's sweet chin music by breaking his ankle via a gimmicked boot).

And I know I'm the minority, but I genuinely feel that hart should of screwed Shawn by interfering in his match in taker, thus ending his career. But as for hbk vs hart at mania 26? Nah... As arch said it would of been a travesty to watch.

• Paid Members
Thought you were talking about "if" the rumoured hbk vs hart match happened at mania 13. It certainly would of saved a lacklustre ppv, and I would of love to of seen the rumoured finish (which I believe was meant to be hart countering hbk's sweet chin music by breaking his ankle via a gimmicked boot).

WrestleMania 13 had one of the best and most pivotal matches in the history of the business. Shawn vs Bret would never have been able to touch it. It would have made WrestleMania 13 far worse.

WrestleMania 13 had one of the best and most pivotal matches in the history of the business. Shawn vs Bret would never have been able to touch it. It would have made WrestleMania 13 far worse.

I retract my "lacklustre" statement. The tag team battle royale was fucking boss and it's true that the return of the LOD (with Sunny in THAT outift) shook the very foundations of the wrestling world.

Actually in all seriousness I completely forgot about the Submission Match! All I can seem to remember was Sid vs. Taker which was "ok". IF Shawn / Bret did go ahead, I wonder who Austin would of been paired with (if anyone). Vader? Mankind? Bulldog / Owen Hart?

• Paid Members
The tag team battle royale was fucking boss and it's true that the return of the LOD (with Sunny in THAT outift) shook the very foundations of the wrestling world.

You're thinking of 14 there, not 13.

Archived