POWERLIFTING

goldeneye86

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been training for a while now. The scene is so small though, that I find it hard to share tips, experiences and to critique my form.

Whats your lifts like goldeneye?

Hi Scotboy15, my current lifts are..

Bench Press 135kg

Deadlift 170kg

Squat 160-165kg

I need to work more on my bench but the above are my best lifts so far.

I agree the scene is small, Too many people focus on bodybuilding rather than strrength training (which I never will understand why)

Look up a guy called Mark Rippetoe 'starting strength' , he's prob one of the best coaches/mentors out there.

Deadlifting is for gays, just muscled marys who's testicles shrink from steroid abuse so they have to attack smaller people to make themselves feel like a man. It really has no use as an exercise, since you can lift a very heavy thing but still have the cardio of a 20 stone salad dodger.

I'm not a fan of Powerlifting as a sport but the major barbell lifts (deadlift, squat and press - bench or overhead) are by far the best way of building real strength and should be a key part to any decent strength and conditioning program. I'd wager a huge majority of combat athletes use them. Rugby and American Football players certainly do and the cyclist Chris Hoy can squat 500lbs. It doesn't have to be about being the strongest but about being stronger. To say the deadlift has no worth as an exercise just shows you genuinely don't know what you're talking about.

I'm not a fan of Powerlifting as a sport but the major barbell lifts (deadlift, squat and press - bench or overhead) are by far the best way of building real strength and should be a key part to any decent strength and conditioning program. I'd wager a huge majority of combat athletes use them. Rugby and American Football players certainly do and the cyclist Chris Hoy can squat 500lbs. It doesn't have to be about being the strongest but about being stronger. To say the deadlift has no worth as an exercise just shows you genuinely don't know what you're talking about.

So I can leg press over 500lbs doesn't mean I want to do it all the time. Power lifting is all about lifting as much as you can once, that's it! There's no reps to it, it doesn't create muscle, as much as more reps at less weight and it fucks stamina. It's useless in a capactiy in gaining muscles and strength.

Deadlifting is for gays, just muscled marys who's testicles shrink from steroid abuse so they have to attack smaller people to make themselves feel like a man. It really has no use as an exercise, since you can lift a very heavy thing but still have the cardio of a 20 stone salad dodger.

So by your logic everybody that deadlifts (aka the majority of powerlifters and bodybuilders) are a) gay, b) steroid users, c) impotent, and d) thugs? A brilliant observation if there ever was one.

Plus, most powerlifters I know are under 20 stone and regularly do cardio. I don't see your point in the slightest.

So by your logic everybody that deadlifts (aka the majority of powerlifters and bodybuilders) are a) gay, b) steroid users, c) impotent, and d) thugs? A brilliant observation if there ever was one.

Plus, most powerlifters I know are under 20 stone and regularly do cardio. I don't see your point in the slightest.

All the guys I know who do powerlifting are steroid abusing bouncers. Doing cardio training isn't the same as having good cardio. 20 minutes on a cross trainer once a week isn't the same as someone who can run do a marathon, there's a reason marathon runners aren't musclebound fuck heads.

All the guys I know who do powerlifting are steroid abusing bouncers. Doing cardio training isn't the same as having good cardio. 20 minutes on a cross trainer once a week isn't the same as someone who can run do a marathon, there's a reason marathon runners aren't musclebound fuck heads.

You insulted people who do deadlifts though. You do realise there is a difference between deadlifting and powerlifting?

You insulted people who do deadlifts though. You do realise there is a difference between deadlifting and powerlifting?

Deadlift is just bring a bar from the ground and you stand upright. Which is a part of powerlifting, the rest is bench and squats in competitions.

So I can leg press over 500lbs doesn't mean I want to do it all the time. Power lifting is all about lifting as much as you can once, that's it! There's no reps to it, it doesn't create muscle, as much as more reps at less weight and it fucks stamina. It's useless in a capactiy in gaining muscles and strength.

That's just not true. Working in the lower rep ranges (1-5) at higher percentages of your max has been shown conclusively to be better at increasing strength, power and explosiveness. There is two types of muscle growth, Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy and Myofibrillar Hypertrophy. The Sarcoplasmic growth is stimulated by the higher rep/lower weight style training and is an increase in the fluid in the muscle causing a larger but not stronger muscle. Myofibrillar growth, from lower reps and higher weights, increases the actual muscle fibres making a stronger muscle. This article by Joe Defranco explains it better, you should read it. I'm not trying to be rude when I say you don't know what you're talking about but you really don't. You do MMA don't you? Surely you can see how being stronger, more powerful and more explosive would help in the ring? It doesn't have to be your sole focus as it is in powerlifting or weightlifting but strength training is, or should be, a very important element to a balanced fitness plan. Especially if you play any kind of physical sport.

Archived