POWERLIFTING

goldeneye86

A lot if it is down to weightclass when it comes to MMA and big muscles means less stamina, that's why the heavyweights you see always tend to look fucked after 2 rounds. I'm working more to burning off fat, so I've been doing a ton of cardio and training sessions as well as being on a low carb high protein diet. Whilst powerlifting does strengthen muscle, it's main effect is the fact that the muscles are more likely to tear and do longterm damage. Sure a little bit of it is good, but it's not something worth focusing on as a sole exercise.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm still not sure what your point is other than "a lot of deadlifters are roiders who can't run a marathon".

The majority of powerlifters are musclebound roid heads who have all the stamina of a 20 stone asthmatic and it's use as an exercise is limited at best.

I'm still not sure what your point is other than "a lot of deadlifters are roiders who can't run a marathon".

The majority of powerlifters are musclebound roid heads who have all the stamina of a 20 stone asthmatic and it's use as an exercise is limited at best.

I have to say that's my experience too, in most of the gyms I've been in. The weights areas are usually occupied by guys with really spotty backs pushing large weights with about 5 minutes rest in between, and then occasionally jogging on the spot. I do more exercise in a minute than they do in an hour. They end up looking like odd shaped Mr Men, but probably don't have the stamina to run to the front of the Greggs queue.

That's fine if you need to look big outside a club, but I don't really consider it "exercise".

• Paid Members

For anybody that wants to get stronger or does any kind of physical sport, the Squat and Deadlift are the single two most important things you can do for power and strength. Anybody that comes on and says it's pointless and that if you deadlift you can't run a marathon is delusional. I primarily weight train because it interests me. I don't like cardio so I only incorporate it because I have to so I try playing sport to get it in. If you aren't interested in lifting, don't try and insult people that do. Do you ever think that those people that lift and apparently don't run, just don't like running? I don't go round insulting people that are interested in running and cycling saying 'well they can't deadlift twice their weight so they are an excuse for a man'. If someone wants to start a thread about jogging, I just won't read it. So therefore if you aren't interested in powerlifting and are only here to insult people that do, then please exit. You most certainly won't be missed.

For anybody that wants to get stronger or does any kind of physical sport, the Squat and Deadlift are the single two most important things you can do for power and strength. Anybody that comes on and says it's pointless and that if you deadlift you can't run a marathon is delusional. I primarily weight train because it interests me. I don't like cardio so I only incorporate it because I have to so I try playing sport to get it in. If you aren't interested in lifting, don't try and insult people that do. Do you ever think that those people that lift and apparently don't run, just don't like running? I don't go round insulting people that are interested in running and cycling saying 'well they can't deadlift twice their weight so they are an excuse for a man'. If someone wants to start a thread about jogging, I just won't read it. So therefore if you aren't interested in powerlifting and are only here to insult people that do, then please exit. You most certainly won't be missed.

Well said. I only started this thread as It's one of the things i like to do and enjoy doing.

everyone has an opinion with the deadlift just like people have an opinion with free weights vs machines.

Some incredible close-minded, uneducated generalisations being made. Particularly from Piste and Loki.

Just observations, buddy. That's what I've seen in every gym I've been a member of. Perhaps all the hugely athletic weightlifters have been going elsewhere...

Your average powerlifter looks like this.

82841-konstantin_deadlift_430.jpg

Now what sport apart from powerlifting could he do? He'll get gassed out walking a flight of stairs, it is of a limited use as an exercise plain and simple. I do weight training, just not the ridiculous amount of weight that these guys do. All I see with the people bashing me are people trying to pretend to themselves that they're healthy fit people because they do weights and I'm an idot who because I do mostly cardio with the odd bit of weights thrown in.

• Paid Members

At the end of the day it's a hobby. I only go to work because I'm paid, but as for the rest of my life I don't do things that don't interest me. Weightlifting on one hand does. I couldn't say if I'm more interested in Bodybuilding or Powerlifting though. I like both, but wouldn't be willing to compete at Bodybuilding I don't think. My frame would suit Bodybuilding more, but I enjoy Powerlifting training more. I've finnally found a routine at the minute that allows me to Squat and Deadlift at the same time. It's the first time in about two years that I haven't had to go easy on one whilst I go hevay on the other, or alter the exercise somehow.

Your average powerlifter looks like this.

82841-konstantin_deadlift_430.jpg

Now what sport apart from powerlifting could he do? He'll get gassed out walking a flight of stairs, it is of a limited use as an exercise plain and simple. I do weight training, just not the ridiculous amount of weight that these guys do. All I see with the people bashing me are people trying to pretend to themselves that they're healthy fit people because they do weights and I'm an idot who because I do mostly cardio with the odd bit of weights thrown in.

due to being a landscape gardener I have to be fit and active. Powerlifting is something I enjoy away from work. I guess some people get it whilst others don't but as stated that's ones opinion.

Archived