TNA Slammiversary X

Professor Paul's Bin

Many of you will read this and think I am being an utter mark, ambitious and unrealistic but my imagination can fulfill this topic to be created.

@TNAdixie: Big meetings this week to discuss plans for TNA's 10 Year Anniversary in 2012...all leading to Slammiversary in June. Cool stuff.

Dixie tweeted this the other day and it made me think. First of all I am pretty happy TNA has been round for 10 years, which has come round pretty quick and I've enjoyed the majority of it. Now I can imagine the venue will be Nashville which makes perfect sense but 10 years is a long time. Haters have always said the place will be out of business in 12 months but thick and thin TNA have managed to stay at what they're doing. So seen as it's their 10th Anniversary they really should go the full works and do something that makes you feel they are celebrating 10 years. Now a PPV in the IZ certainly doesn't delivery that and neither would a half filled arena in Nashville with half of the attendance being the one's who've paid. For a while TNA PPV's have been shit and you know your not "missing much" if you don't watch it. Even the big ones such as BFG and Lockdown (although I enjoyed this years BFG very much).

So what if they took a step forward and bring the Pay Per View over to the UK?

Throughout the US there hasn't been much of an increase in TV ratings or House Show attendance despite the huge sums of money they have put into bringing some big names in. PPV buyrates continue to decline and PPV's continue to mean less. Bringing a TV taping or PPV out of the IMPACT Zone results in thousands of tickets being gave away for free with at least half the arena curtained off. Although TNA has grown internationally and I think they need to take a bigger emphasis on there international success. Every few weeks they're getting new TV deals and continue to expand into new markets. Which is great and shows they are growing as a brand.

The UK has a great history for wrestling. We've had some great talents but with American Wrestling we are often over looked for big events. With this we have often been given C' Quality PPV's (apart from Rebellion 99 & 01 which were more of a B quality) and it being 9 years since Summerslam 93. It'd be a wise and smart decision to bring a PPV over here (now I'm sure many will argue the market isn't here and we get RAW/SmackDown twice a year) but a PPV would certainly generate a record breaking attendance and I would believe they could sell out Wembley. TNA is huge in the UK especially considering it's now on Freeview. Challenge could promote it too and plug the shit out of it through the other programs in there network.

The set they use for the Manchester and London show is good enough for PPV. They've got a good partnership with Amerchandise too so I would think they could use them as much as they can. If ROH can record over here then TNA certainly can as they have a much wider audience. It just baffles me why they haven't. I know there are problems with the timezone. Maybe they could air it live at an earlier time or record it and show it later? Many of the Die Hards from America would travel to the UK for the show too.

What does everyone think? Am I just being a prick? I'm actually tempted to make a facebook group, haha.

There are fans who buy the bad PPV's TNA put out, right? Many of us can be honest and say they'd be no chance you'd buy the PPV they put out for the money they charge. Now if they were to do something Special in the UK then I am sure this would create interest from other fans who may not typically buy PPV's and still collect the money from the fans who'd typically buy the bad quality PPV's they usually put out. They'd also make a profit from Merchandise and attendance of the show. They could even do a small tour and do the arenas which they didn't use on this years Maximum Impact Tour.

• Paid Members
There are fans who buy the bad PPV's TNA put out, right? Many of us can be honest and say they'd be no chance you'd buy the PPV they put out for the money they charge. Now if they were to do something Special in the UK then I am sure this would create interest from other fans who may not typically buy PPV's and still collect the money from the fans who'd typically buy the bad quality PPV's they usually put out. They'd also make a profit from Merchandise and attendance of the show. They could even do a small tour and do the arenas which they didn't use on this years Maximum Impact Tour.

I'd also love to see TNA hit the Metro Radio Arena here in Newcastle. At least it's closer for those moaning Scots ;)

• Paid Members

I actually think TNA will do one of their PPV events from the UK at some point. Not necessarily Slamiversary, but one of them. No-one buys TNA PPVs anyway (8-9,000 buys?) so the 'live' issue of running in a different time zone isn't such a big deal compared to the attention they might gain from the unique nature of such an event. A packed out arena of hot fans and the fact it is a first might even increase domestic buys due to the intrigue and interest factor. They are comparatively popular in this country and with their PPVs airing free-to-air on terrestrial TV in this country, a 'live special', together with an associated UK publicity drive, could give them an edge over here too.

I've been told that if TNA were to do a PPV in Canada it would be more expensive than doing a PPV in the UK as PPV in Canada there is some sort of licensing fee to do with broadcasting a live PPV in a major arena worldwide. In the UK they don't need to pay. Heard its in the region of 40 grand.

I imagine the extra production costs of producing a PPV in the UK would make it less feasible than it sounds, especially when they're running very successful house show tours without any of those extra costs. With the move to taking Impact on the road more often I'd think filming a couple of episodes over here is more likely.

If the wwe won't run a big ppv in the uk like the rumble due to the hit they'd take on the ppv buy-rate why should tna which has a shit buyrate in the states as it is consider this? They'd make less than usual.

That's exactly why they should consider it. since they have a shit buyrate anyway, probably about 80% of their buys will be from hardcore fans that will buy it away, and the ones they will lose can be more than made up for in ticket sales. They could get more for sponsorship too since they would attract a lager audience. If they held it in a big arena here and promoted it right i think it could sell out, and would have an amazing atmosphere.

I could see the PPV exceeding there average buy-rate per view and the crowd being shit hot for the show. The crowd in Manchester is always red hot and where ever they could host it I would be whiling to travel to and I am sure many of us on here would be whiling to do the same.

It could also get some more people over. What was so good about the Attitude Era? Everyone was over. A PPV in the UK really could have some influence into the US interaction with the superstars. We are a better crowd no doubt about it. Then again they still will be over in the Impact Zone surrounded by twatty tourists.. so lets forget about that one.

They wouldn't even need to bring all the big names. I would be happy with 2-3 big names and the rest with mid-carders and lower-carders to make a few cost cutting measures. I really think this is "Something Special" they could do to celebrate 10 years and an emphasis on there international market.

Long run it can show how big TNA actually is to the US. Who may only think they can sell a few hundred tickets.

The images can be used for stock photos/videos, marketing and advertising.

It may give TNA the momentum they need to begin progressing where they have been at the same level for far too long.

It could strengthen the fan base here in the UK.

Sell a fair few copies on dvd aswell.

Additional UK tour for the venues who didn't get a show this Jan. 5 Months is enough time to sell tickets.

I could see the PPV exceeding there average buy-rate per view

It could also get some more people over. What was so good about the Attitude Era? Everyone was over. A PPV in the UK really could have some influence into the US interaction with the superstars.

Long run it can show how big TNA actually is to the US. Who may only think they can sell a few hundred tickets.

It may give TNA the momentum they need to begin progressing where they have been at the same level for far too long.

What are you basing any of this on? Why would a PPV from the UK spike a buyrate when the UK isn't a PPV market and spoilers would be openly available to everyone in the USA ahead of the show? Why would the crowd reaction at a show thousands of miles away from their home base affect how crowds over there react to anyone? Why/how would drawing a large crowd in the UK (which they've done a few times already anyway) show how big TNA is to the US when they'll go back there and still struggle to draw? I'm not saying it's a bad idea but I think we need to have some perspective. If it were to happen it would be a great PR exercise for the UK market but that's pretty much all it would be. It would have no effect on business back home because to be brutally honest fans in the US aren't going to care that a shows being held in the UK or not, and if it's a PPV you're talking about less that 10,000 people even seeing it anyway.

Archived