TNA Slammiversary X

Professor Paul's Bin

Stop pissing on my bonfire here lads.

Majority of my suggestions are just from assumptions. I just feel many wrestling fans would be intrigued by the hype of a PPV in the UK and therefore buy it where as they may typically not. Die Hard's will buy it still and some fans do stay away from Spoilers.

Yeah but you're speaking (I presume) as a fan from the UK for whom a major wrestling promotion holding a PPV over here would be pretty big news. But to the average fan in the US that means absolutely nothing. You might as well be holding it in someones back garden for all they're gonna care. Even if there was a small number of extra people who would buy the PPV I think they'd be more than cancelled out by the people who would just read the spoilers instead.

Stop pissing on my bonfire here lads.

Majority of my suggestions are just from assumptions. I just feel many wrestling fans would be intrigued by the hype of a PPV in the UK and therefore buy it where as they may typically not. Die Hard's will buy it still and some fans do stay away from Spoilers.

Yeah but you're speaking (I presume) as a fan from the UK for whom a major wrestling promotion holding a PPV over here would be pretty big news. But to the average fan in the US that means absolutely nothing. You might as well be holding it in someones back garden for all they're gonna care. Even if there was a small number of extra people who would buy the PPV I think they'd be more than cancelled out by the people who would just read the spoilers instead.

Are the people who buy TNA PPVs the "average fan in the US" though? I mean, you look at WWE's buyrates of somewhere between 150-200,000 and TNA not even making a tenth of that. They're getting over a million people watching Impact each week, so the proportion of people buying a show each month is pretty poor.

I'll be honest, I think that a lot of the people who buy TNA's PPVs would buy it regardless of whether it was live or slightly delayed anyway. They're used to watching Impact which can sometimes be taped two or three weeks in advance. They probably read the spoilers for those as it happens, so what's a few hours if they show it on a tape delay in the States? I imagine those people would read spoilers and then still buy the show.

I'm not saying that TNA holding a PPV in the UK is something that they should do. Yes, it'd look great having TNA do a show in the UK, and if they promoted it well enough and did loads of advertising for it and whatnot, they probably could sell out an arena which would look great. Would it be a worthwhile thing in the long run though? Like Khemical said, even if you did get a slight increase in buyrates, would that carry over to the following month?

With the UK probably being one of their larger fan bases, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some sort of taping over here, whether it's Impact, a TV special or a PPV, within the next few years. Since it's TNA though, I doubt it would make much difference to their ratings or buy rates for PPV. It seems nothing can really.

A PPV over here might have it's merits but as a few others have said is there really much point for TNA doing one over here if it won't have any lasting effects on their PPV buys? The UK is their biggest market because we get all the Impacts and all the PPVs free on a network that near enough everybody has access to whereas in the states folk have to shell out to watch their product. Filming over here and then charging people to watch may actually damage the buy rate from UK fans seeing as every other event they do in the U.S doesn't cost them a penny to see.

A better idea might be to do a one-off special and film it for a dvd. That way they'll get the house show attendance which they could potentially sell out an arena if its the right card promoted right as it could be seen as something a bit special, they've then got the dvd sales which I'd guess bring them more money than PPV buys and that way you don't have to convince Americans to tune in at a random time to watch it.

A UK only broadcast show (not PPV) would help the UK market. This could then be released on DVD in the states. As pointed out earlier, crowds in the UK are generally bigger than the US house shows and more "up for it". TNA fans would buy it regardless in the states as it would be something that they havent seen, regardless of knowing the results beforehand. This would save on live transmisson costs.

It could be shown on Challenge or Extreme sports. But for it to work it would have to be a cut above the WWE uk based shows broadcast (mind you to be worse than Capital Carnage would be hard)

Some have pointed out that a live PPV wouldnt work because, with the internet, people could get the results beforehand. Thats no difference to me getting the WWE PPV's over here on replay as i cant be bothered to stay up till half 3 on a Monday morning, i just avoid any threads on here about results or the show so i'm watching it "as live" a day or two later. If you want the results beforehand then you can get them, if you dont then its very easy not to find out. Its not like WWE where there is RAW the next day so you feel you have to watch the PPV before Raw.

A Sunday (UK time) PPV shown on Sunday evening in the states would be no different to a normal Sunday PPV slot. The number of PPV buyers in the States is that small that they could even show it live as an 7.30 start would be in the afternoon in the states (hell if we can stay up till the early part of a Monday morning i'm sure the 20K TNA fans who pay for the PPV's would watch on a Sunday afternoon or the replay later that night)

It would all come down to finances, if the US PPV rate is not adversely affected then does the additional cost of a UK transmission override the increase in revenue from attendance, merchandise and future UK DVD sales of a UK PPV by the people who were there?

It's a difficult answer. It makes sense to indicate why it would and why it wouldn't. But it'd be a gamble by TNA and as we've pointed out may have little benefit. It's a good prop to show how big they are and provide a different style of show. Although saying that it isn't a major Gamble. If they're whiling to pay Hogan, Bischoff, Flair the money they do then they should be bothered about this. It may even open open new opportunities for having shows in other countries aswell. As for DVD success I am not sure on that one, is the market for TNA Dvd's big? I can imagine its gone abit tits up as they're putting the majority of PPVs in double disc boxsets these days.

Archived