IPW:UK NO ESCAPE 2012 Sun 26th Feb, Sittingbourne

Andy

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Tremendous show overall. Sittingbourne return isn't until June 3rd, but of course there's Battle Royale in Swanley (boo) and the Troxy show before that.

Loved the intricacies and subtle storytelling in the opener, and the show only got more explosive and intense from there.

Will post more tomorrow, as I have work in just over seven hours. Fuck.

Awesome show, loved the angles although we sat near the stairs so we could see who was doing run-ins but T Bone came through the front door so we weren't expecting that one!

Doug vs Marty was a shock, but in a nice way obviously. Top to bottom, great action. Kirby & Kirby (if you were there, you'll understand) are a riot! I think Haskins as a heel would be great, he can say he's too big a star to wrestle in the UK etc.

And Finlay pretended to chop my son 3 times after the show and my son no-sold it...I marked out :-p

My only nit pick would be about the swearing, for a show with kids in the audience they dropped the F Bomb over the mic once and said $hit and bollox a few times. If they want to be adults only, like Progress, that's fine. But I shouldn't have to explain to my 7 year old son why it's ok for Dave Mastiff to say "F*ck"...

Another great IPW:UK show. I wasn't too hyped heading into this show actually, but once things got going I was right back into it and reminded why I attend these live events, they are like nothing else and leagues ahead of alot of what other promotions offer. Got their slightly later than usual and paid the price as joined the que fairly far back and didn't get to sit where we usually do, we ended up sitting on the block on the left when you walk in, I have never noticed such a difference between sections at a live event in my life. It was silent. The other two main sections were lively as ever though :confused: strange but even that combined with my man flu couldnt stop me from having a good time.

First match for me personally, something just didn't click which as a massive ZSJ fan quite suprised me, Wild Boar guy did nothing to impress me, the match was fine.

Second match...wow. Reminded me why I loved Sami Callihan for the early part of last year. Straight from the bell this was intense, full steam ahead. It really woke the crowd up a bit and stopped my mrs from moaning for all of 10 minutes. Noam Dar is on my radar from now on, his match with Eddie last year was a cracker and this match stole the show in my opinion, it has certainly made me look forward to seeing more of Noam in 16 carat and hopefuly IPW:UK in the future. Great hard hitting match, can't remember the last time I saw a match filled with so much spitting though, not pleasant and overkill. Infact I think the spitting happend in other matches too but I think during this one the kid infront of us got COVERED in spit/flem and his dad had to take him and wash it off :crazy:

Finlay vs Stone up next. Stone I would assume is still not back at 100%, he is still looking considerably lighter and smaller than before. This match was a bit of a disapointment for me, very solid technically and good match still but I was hoping it would have more of a brawling feel to it, somewhat disapointed but still great to see Finlay. I just don't know what to make of Stone anymore, it wouldn't suprise me if he just said "im done" sooner rather than later, but I hope not. 2-3 years ago he seemed ready to really make headlines but since then he has really lost some momentum, due to injury and disapearing with the whole "going to WWE" deal.

Marty against Doug was nice match up to see, good replacement but gave us a very different type of match to the one we would have got with AR Fox. I feel a high flying match at this point in the show would have been a better fit. None the less good match, always glad to see Doug and Marty, good for what it was.

Tag match up next, Project Ego on top form again, I really think these guys are great, not just a solid tag team but a very entertaining one at that. Good for crowd reaction. Good match, really got going towards the end, Redman looked impressive and I can remember one hell of a German suplex among other bumps where it looked like he was going to throw someone up into the lights.

Sha vs Dave. M'eh. Not a fan of either of these two and it has been a drag and boring feud for me personally. No particularly good matches have come of it and I just don't care anymore, haven't for a long time. Although both men looked in pretty good shape, both noticably lighter, especially Dave and Sha was throwing him around like he was nothing.

Main Event time, Callihan vs ZSJ. Two of my favourite talents in their second match of the night, another cracking match, just didn't quite have the same impact as Callihan vs Dar from earlier. Still a fantastic match and a suprise finish, I would think most people were expecting an all LDRs final including myself. Looking forward to Sami vs Marty at the troxy.

Also I was quite suprised at the language used, it does not bother me personally but there were alot of kids around, in particular for Finlay on this show and normally IPW:UK keeps it clean. Anyway, I will likely be going to the Troxy show although I still haven't got myself a ticket yet though, just something about the line up is just not clicking yet.

Thanks to everyone who came out full fall out is coming. Just a quick note to say you won't be seeing any spitting or swearing on any future IPW shows (unless they are 18+ then you will hear lots of swearing) I'm sorry if anyone was offended by it and can only assure you that this issue is being taken seriously.

Thanks to everyone who came out full fall out is coming. Just a quick note to say you won't be seeing any spitting or swearing on any future IPW shows (unless they are 18+ then you will hear lots of swearing) I'm sorry if anyone was offended by it and can only assure you that this issue is being taken seriously.

Thanks Andy :thumbsup:

Had a great time at yesterdays show.

You might want to get some travel information up about the Roxy event on the website if you want people to actually be able to get there. I went to look at buying tickets but there's only an address up. Found the venue on a map and there doesn't seem to be any tube stations aside from DLR and no parking anywhere near by. What are our options?

http://www.querosoft.com/Troxy/IndoorSport...p;Content_ID=72

TRAVEL INFORMATION

Located on the borders of the financial city district, Troxy is 10 minutes away from Bank, Shoreditch and Tower Hill and 10 minutes away from Docklands. Troxy is a highly accessible venue on Commercial Road between Pitsea Street and Caroline Street.

Tube/Docklands Light Railway (DLR)/National Rail

Troxy is located within a three minute walk of Limehouse Station which operates the DLR and C2C train networks

DLR trains to Limehouse from central London are accessible from Bank (Central/Circle/Northern & Waterloo & City Lines) and Tower Hill (Circle/District Lines) and are two stops (5 minutes) from either station.

C2C operates trains from Liverpool Street through Limehouse and into Essex.

Bus

Troxy is served by:

Really enjoyed the show yesterday. Personally I didn't think there was a bad match on the card.

I liked Sami vs Noam Dar best although it was a close between that and Sami vs Zack. You can see why people have been saying that Sami is the 'best on the US indies'.

Stone did well in his come back and overall everyone on the card put on a good performance and it was a great show.

Absolutely incredible show. IPW:UK once again lines them up, and knocks them down. This show proves why they are considered one of Europe's best promotions. I'll only do brief thoughts as in all likelihood I doubt I will have much time to put down in-depth thoughts, and there are some matches and moments that words can't do justification and the DVD is quite simply a must buy in order to see them.

Really liked Zack vs Boar. Some great mat wrestling for the early portion of the match, and Zack really is a fiend when it comes to that armbar, but Boar really did have it and Zack's kicks well scouted as he did get to block and fight off a fair selection of Zack's offense. These two did have some strike exchanges, but they didn't go overboard (left a lot of room for what was to come in the second match). Just a decent back and forth wrestling match, Boar was a solid hand and played his part well. Wouldn't mind seeing him again.

Loved Dar vs Callihan. Loved it. Both of these are such great characters with charisma, intensity and presence that are worlds apart and unique from each other. The beginning with Callihan screaming from behind the entrance way and Dar asking the crowd what the hell that was... I was already smiling. And when Callihan absolutely unloaded on Dar as soon as the bell rang, you knew this was going to be a war. And what surprised and impressed me most was Dar surviving Callihan's assault, striking him back as hard as he got hit, attacking Callihan's knee was as much aggression and ferocity as Callihan did to him. This was a strike fest from bell to bell. They were heated, they were spitting in each others face, and they really, really wanted to beat each other senseless in order to win this match.

Finlay vs Stone was an odd one. There were a lot of comments from fans about Stone's real decrease in muscle mass, some even going as far as to say he looked ill. I know from already seeing him in casual wear in November that he was lighter and even before he left he was already toning down and was aiming for a leaner physique before his WWE call out. Now with 14 months away from the ring and recuperating from knee surgery, Stone really does have a road ahead of him to come back to the form he was in (if that his is intention of course). But with Stone being a returning fan-favourite and Finlay being an international star and well respected veteran, the crowd was torn so as the two tussled and locked up for the majority of the early portion of the match, the crowd was sub-dued a little bit. Finlay dominated a lot of this match. He got the better of the lock up's with Stone being the heavier of the two. He got the better of the strikes. He pretty much man handled Stone and really worked over his back, ramming him into the ring post, turnbuckles and even the lighting rig/structure. By the time that Stone finally started firing back and striking Finlay and getting the better of him outside the ring after a long extended beat down, the crowd heat was molten. Everybody was know behind Stone and the match felt like it had really hit up another gear and was about to get really good and the fight we all expected and hoped for when this match was announced..... And then Finlay won with a tombstone piledriver. It was a good match, a solid wrestling encounter.... But I can't help but feel with a few more minutes after Stone started his come back, maybe Stone even getting to hit a few of his own signature moves and perhaps surviving some of Finlay's that this match could have been truly special. But it felt like it ended just when it was getting really, really good.

Opening the second half with Marty Scurll was the right idea as he really is loved by the Sittingbourne crowd. And him and Doug had a good little match together and it really shows how far Scurll has progressed and how high up he is in the echeleons of IPW by getting to beat an international star like Doug.

Loved Ego vs Thrillers. Ego really are a great double team act with antics and shenanigans aplenty. The Thrillers really did click in this match in a way they didn't quite manager last March and really did get right back in that grove that left off in 2009. Redman was a beast in this match, suplexing Ego around and even managing to power both members onto his shoulders at the same time. This was such a great mix of comedy, high-end fast paced modern tag team wrestling and a great face/heel divide that really show why we all love wrestling and especially tag team wrestling in the first place. And as a result of this match we've got a really good Redman vs Haskins singles match and LDR's vs Project Ego really has been set in stone after what occured on this show.

Mastiff and Samuels put on a really good heavyweight clash that you'd expect from two wrestlers the calibre of these two. How T-Bone and Spud interfered in the match was timed perfectly and really done well as we all knew to expect the involvement of both men and there appearences really were timed to make the match even more heated. Loved Mastiff refusing to let go of the sharpshooter even with Spud kicking him in the face, defiantly mouthing "fuck you" before the belt shot. That ending was a little deflating as I was hoping Mastiff would kick out and we could get a few more minutes of heated desperation and hope that Mastiff might actually beat the numbers, but I was fine with the finish and the six-man set up for London at least guarantees a good match for two of IPW:UK's best.

The main event was incredible. Absolutely truly amazing and astounding stuff. It was the best part of the earlier two singles matches combined and then multiplied by a hundred. You had hard hitting strike exchanges. Really breathtaking spots like the exploder outside the ring. And some really fantastic limbwork as both men worked towards the armbar and stretch muffler respectively. This was their EVOLVE 7 match turned up to 11. I was stunned that this was going to be the main event, but man did these two ever deserve that headlining spot with the absolute WAR they had. I loved this match. Fuckin LOVED it. And the finish..... Oh man. We all thought it was over with Ego's interference. We all thought it was over when Zack fought back and got in the armbar. But then Sami survived and got the stretch muffler. But then Zack rallied back and it was definitely over..... But Sami's fighting back, got the stretch muffler, wrapped his legs around Zack's body like a python and is STAMPING on Zack's head for the TKO victory.

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZUS~!!!!

Zack and Sami are two of my favourite matches. Last year Zack's partner was in the headline spot as Callihan had an undercard match against T-Bone. But a year later Zack gets a more than well deserved singles main event against an opponent who he had genuine chemistry and history with, and a guy who really is at the top of the crop on the Indy scene and these two didn't just steal the show, they tore the fucking house down.

I am SO excited for June 3rd and I now I kinda wanna go to London........... Someone wanna pay for me to go??

I won't do a review but some miscellaneous thoughts:

- I really like what I've seen of Dar. I hope to see more of him in the future.

- Wild Boar showed a lot of promise. He has room to improve and maybe a little more obvious heelwork would have helped him more in the match with Zack, but he's got a very solid base to work on, so I look forward to seeing more of him.

- Spots involving the IPW:UK lighting rig are a very bad idea.

- I really loved Ego-Thrillers. Ego were great as a comic heel team and great antics were on show. Redman's release German was ridiculous, and I loved the Full nelson spots. I think that was possibly one of my favourite Redman in ring performances, mixing more traditional hold work with some power moves.

- Crab Elbow! I never thought I'd see that live but Ego made my night.

- I love that there was an almost perseciptle drawing in of breath when Haskins went for the SSP.

- Great build up work for the 6 man at the Troxy. In fact, this was a very good "angle building" show that also provided good matches.

- The main event was ridiculous. Crazy strikes, mad bumps, a good story of arm bar vs. Stretch Muffler.

All in all a good noght of wrestling. I hope to return to Sittingbourne sometime later this year.

If people are complaining about bad language and spitting, I can only hope that they never take their kids to a football match! Or, dare I say it, the streets outside the venue.

I would never take my 7 year old to a football match, for a multitude of reasons but the swearing is one of them. And I didn't hear any swearing while we queued or on our walk back to the car.

IPW has an audience that contains children so they have to cater for that.

At FPW, we are 'foam finger friendly' so we have no swearing and don't encourage the audience to swear either.

Progress is different, they advertise themselves as adults only so I won't be taking the kids there.

If IPW want to become the southern version of ICW, good luck with that!

Archived