Is The Internet Destroying Copyright?

David

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Seen this posted elsewhere and thought of this thread for some reason.

!

2004: Aransas County Court-At-Law Judge William Adams took a belt to his own teenage daughter as punishment for using the internet to acquire music and games that were unavailable for legal purchase at the time.

Vid is NWS, just to be on the safe side.

But if you've got a publisher promoting you and giving you the air of credibility, won't that result in a vast difference in sales, making the 12% cut amount to far more money than the 70% cut that you'd make without the machine behind you? You've looked into this, so you might have seen some figures or at least anecdotes... Are there people making more money self-publishing than they would if they were picked up by a publisher?

Well, that's the theory. The theory is, my record label run around promoting my music and thereby increasing the sales of my tracks. However, bear in mind the cost of all that comes out of the gross profits, i.e before I get my cut, so I'm paying for half of all that.

With a lot of electronic music though, people by the label more than the artist, so the idea is that the label gets a good reputation and regular subscribers. Also, Im incredibly lazy and self-publishing music sounds a lot harder than self-publishing a book does.

Seen this posted elsewhere and thought of this thread for some reason.

!

2004: Aransas County Court-At-Law Judge William Adams took a belt to his own teenage daughter as punishment for using the internet to acquire music and games that were unavailable for legal purchase at the time.

Vid is NWS, just to be on the safe side.

Fucking hell. You can practically smell his hard-on. Disgusting.

But if you've got a publisher promoting you and giving you the air of credibility, won't that result in a vast difference in sales, making the 12% cut amount to far more money than the 70% cut that you'd make without the machine behind you? You've looked into this, so you might have seen some figures or at least anecdotes... Are there people making more money self-publishing than they would if they were picked up by a publisher?

Well, that's the theory. The theory is, my record label run around promoting my music and thereby increasing the sales of my tracks. However, bear in mind the cost of all that comes out of the gross profits, i.e before I get my cut, so I'm paying for half of all that.

With a lot of electronic music though, people by the label more than the artist, so the idea is that the label gets a good reputation and regular subscribers. Also, Im incredibly lazy and self-publishing music sounds a lot harder than self-publishing a book does.

Have a look at CASHmusic.org. It's not perfect, but it's one of the most straightforward ways of self-publishing music on t'internet. It was the first group picked up by Mozilla's WebFWD project too, so someone somewhere thinks that open source has a future in the field. CASH also encourages the music itself to be "open source" so that it gets reproduced, remixed, covered and whatnot, with the idea that if the songs are strong, the original artist will do well.

Archived