RIP Sir Jimmy Saville, passed away aged 84

ClassicsGuy

• Paid Members
Loved watching Jim'll Fix It as a kid, but he was also a wrestler in the 1960s and 1970s, albeit somewhat comedic. He was always proud of being a wrestler.

wrestling.jpg

Blimey Brian Glover (Leon Arras) was on that card as well. Star studded!

• Paid Members

From Wrestling Heritage

The man known to millions as a radio disc jockey, television personality and the Jim that fixed it for hundreds of children in his "Jim'll Fix It" television show did get his kicks (and usually got a kicking) as a professional wrestler.

Jimmy found his way into the wrestling ring when asked to participate in a charity event and urged the promoters to give him a chance in the ring. He claimed to have 107 bouts, which seems about right, and is well remembered for contests with Jim Lewis, Chic Purvey and tag partner of Jackie Pallo.

In a world that was full of colourful characters Jimmy succeeded in bringing just a bit more colour.

Even though his presence in the ring was a direct consequence of his fame outside most of the wrestlers in the business seem to have respected Jimmy for his guts and determination as a professional wrestler. In 1990 Jimmy was knighted for his services to charity.

Jimmy Savile passed away at his home in Leeds on 29th October, 2011, aged 84.

Nice little write up :)

• Paid Members
Saville's opponent on that poster sounds like a right pervert.

I can see what you did there! Because, right, his name is Purvey. And it sounds a bit like pervert. That was what you were going for, wasn't it Lenny Bruce?

Come on Richie, that was sub-dangerously420 material.

Loved watching Jim'll Fix It as a kid, but he was also a wrestler in the 1960s and 1970s, albeit somewhat comedic.

I consider comedy wrestling to be a perfectly valid form of pro wrestling. It's just as much part of it as garbage wrestling or whatever else and if one of them died they'd definitely be regarded as a pro wrestler. I mean if Hornswoggle and the WWE Divas can be considered pro wrestlers then Jimmy Savile certainly was one. The fact he had several hundred matches makes him more of a pro wrestler than a lot of guys out there, in my book.

He was always proud of being a wrestler.

wrestling.jpg

So I've always heard. Anyone here ever ask him about his wrestling career?

In some ways I'd be surprised if there isn't. Did a few runs/walks he was part of where I had the chance and he always seemed a talkative guy so I regret not going up and asking him about it. I know every interview I read with him about it and the way he tells the story in The Wrestling he seemed to take a lot of pride in how much of a beating he took.

• Paid Members

There was an interview with him in some lads mag years ago where he talked about his wrestling. Aparantly a lot of his opponent had issues being put in the ring with a "poncey haired DJ" and would kick the absolute shit out of him. Once, someone kicked him in the balls so hard he had to go to hospital to get the put right again. Jimmy showed his gratitude to the nurse that dislodged his nuts by taking her out to dinner and then giving her one.

Archived