VPW on Sky My Channel (Sky 219)

chiefdave

Hot on the heels of the announcement that Finlay will join the VPW team for the October events, there is more tremendous news for UK wrestling fans.

Great British wrestling returns to TV this Winter with Varsity Pro Wrestling The UK's No. 1 Sports Entertainment Company, Premiering a brand new high impact wrestling show on My Channel (Sky 219).

The first show will be an hour-long special, showcasing the outstanding action from the recent tournament to crown the first ever VPW Champion.

Thereafter, weekly shows will be 30 minutes long and feature action from international stars such as Finlay, Daivari and Billy Gunn, as well as top home-grown wrestling superstars such as the exciting 'Mr Moonsault' Jake McCluskey, Rob Holte and 'Mountain of Muscle' Leon Shah.

This announcement is huge news for both the promotion and the British wrestling scene in general, with VPW poised to bring British wrestling back to prominence.

VPW-TV will show that the new generation of British wrestling superstars are here to put on an outstanding show featuring a roster of spectacular high-flyers, ruthless brawlers and superb ring technicians. The shows also boast cutting-edge production values including entrance videos, rock-show style lighting and indoor pyrotechnics, all of which add up to make VPW the UK's No. 1 Sports Entertainment Company.

Varsity Pro Wrestling prides itself on providing the very best sports-entertainment in the UK and has successfully toured the country for over five years, putting on numerous outstanding events that have featured such globally recognised wrestling megastars as D-Lo Brown, Al Snow, Bob 'Hardcore' Holly and 'Masterpiece' Chris Masters.

For ongoing updates about VPW on TV, join the Varsity Pro Wrestling group on Facebook, follow @varsitypro on Twitter or go to www.varsityprowrestling.com.

Only been to a couple of VPW shows and they were pretty good. The only time I've seen them filming there's only been one camera so fingers crossed this comes out looking fairly professional and not like it's been shot by an amateur on 1 camera!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I must be getting miserable in my old age. As I read that the my first thought was how this can be a return to TV for British Wrestling, when British Wrestling is already on TV, on that very same channel no less. My next was to scoff at them being the number 1 Sports Entertainment company in the UK, sorry but I have that reaction everytime I see anyone make that claim. Finally I wondered why anyone would pay to get themselves on TV?

All that aside though, I am interested to see what this is like, I just hope it comes across ok. If it's watchable I'll stick with it.

Here is a sample of the VPW product

I can also confirm My Channel has signed VPW for a 4 month TV deal, VPW are not paying to be on TV.

And lastly The UK's No.1 Sports Entertainment Company is what some press started called VPW after attending shows, so we carried on with it.

Its great news for VPW to be able to air our product and show everyone in England Ireland Scotland and Wales, a show which alot of people are getting behind.

We draw great houses and have a great fan base and look forward to the challange.

www.varsityprowrestling.com

So either VPW know nothing about the channel they are moving onto or they can't count.

Though i'm sure heralding the return of British wrestling to TV sounds much better than admitting to just copying what somebody else has already done.

There's been British wrestling on that channel for almost a year and i'm pretty sure everyone was queing up to say how shitty that channel was at the time and how pointless it was to have wrestling on it.

Now it would seem we are expected to think that because another company (& wow they occasionally use people who the WWE have disposed of) have decided to dump a load of Youtube footage onto a TV channel that this is big news?

I'm also sure the WWE will be chuffed about the use of names like Hardcore Bob Holly (speaking of which isn't that bob holly video on their homepage like 5 years old now?), and other names which i'm pretty sure on which the E have the copyright, will be aired on television

I'm sure they'll be setting their layers to more than stun

Sounds good, I heard rumour this was in the works. VPW put on very entertaining shows and there home turf shows in portsmoth have good production values for British Wrestling with Pyro, Big screen and a great looking ring. Im not sure if there other shows have all of this but they will certainly look better on TV than the other lot. The only worry is really that the shows are really dark on TV (pet Peeve) as I found it dark when I was there live and if you look at how dark the fully lit venues can be (eg york hall) it can spoil a show

Sounds good, I heard rumour this was in the works. VPW put on very entertaining shows and there home turf shows in portsmoth have good production values for British Wrestling with Pyro, Big screen and a great looking ring. Im not sure if there other shows have all of this but they will certainly look better on TV than the other lot. The only worry is really that the shows are really dark on TV (pet Peeve) as I found it dark when I was there live and if you look at how dark the fully lit venues can be (eg york hall) it can spoil a show

I gotta say their footage does look good and not too dark - though most of it does seem quite old. I'd be interested to know how either of the promotions can afford to pay for being on TV -everybody says the UKW lot pay for their slot so it's a suprise to see VPW coming out straight away and saying they aren't.

One thing i'm not sure about is what it says for British Wrestling when a promotion gets itself on air to show us video clips of Finaly, Daivari, Billy Gun and Bob Holly.

I'm retty sure if I wanted to see matches with any of those in i'd be checking out WWE's back catalogue to see the majority of them in their prime.

I also heard that the Daivari show had a card comprising of just 6 wrestlers. If they can't afford to fully book a show then how can they afford good TV production

• Paid Members
Here is a sample of the VPW product

Looks good, I'll be checking it out. I just hope the TV Show doesn't suffer the usual British Wrestling pitfalls. Best of luck.

There's been British wrestling on that channel for almost a year and i'm pretty sure everyone was queing up to say how shitty that channel was at the time and how pointless it was to have wrestling on it.

To be fair, if the show's worth watching it doesn't matter what channel it's on so long as people can watch it and know when its on.

I gotta say their footage does look good and not too dark - though most of it does seem quite old. I'd be interested to know how either of the promotions can afford to pay for being on TV -everybody says the UKW lot pay for their slot so it's a suprise to see VPW coming out straight away and saying they aren't.

One thing i'm not sure about is what it says for British Wrestling when a promotion gets itself on air to show us video clips of Finaly, Daivari, Billy Gun and Bob Holly.

I'm retty sure if I wanted to see matches with any of those in i'd be checking out WWE's back catalogue to see the majority of them in their prime.

I also heard that the Daivari show had a card comprising of just 6 wrestlers. If they can't afford to fully book a show then how can they afford good TV production

VPW has just said above they've not paid for the air time they have a contract :thumbsup:

• Paid Members

It was 8 wrestlers actually, and that was because it was a one-night tournament to crown a champion. There were 7 decent matches on that show, which is really good if you match it up against the majority of shows in this country. VPW may not be the perfect promotion, but they are going to do alot less harm to the scene than UKW are. In terms of production, anybody with vision can see they are one of the best looking promotions in the country. I hope people don't feel turned off by VPW because of UKW, UKW is shockingly awful. People keep boasting that they've used Keith Myatt and El Ligero (who are both great by the way) but the times i've turned it on, i've seen the opposite side of the spectrum in terms of workers.

Archived