Dave Meltzer quote about old British wrestling

IANdrewDiceClay

Here's an answer Meltzer gave to a question about British wrestlings popularity:

Thoughts? Thought it would be worth discussion for the BritWres~ fans on here.

Lister will verify that Meltzer is pretty close to spot on. The promoters took the share of the cake.

• Paid Members

One of the biggest shows ever held was probably at Wembley Arena with Big Daddy v Giant Haystacks. But isn't it more of a cultural thing? I'd hazard that a higher % of the British viewing public watched Wrestling every week than most other countries including the USA.

• Paid Members

I guess that people like Max Crabtree were just to tight to hire Old Trafford or Villa park! But then football grounds didn't really do things like this in the 70s and early 80's the 1st concert at Wembely Stadium wasn't until 1970 (the great London Rock n Roll show) so i hazard that the option wasn't really there!

And what was the question?

I suppose it was just simple supply and demand, they couldn't put on every show at a football stadium, they were putting on several shows a night, all over the country, I don't know how many punters they turned away, but the venues always seemed pretty full, however come on, I seriously doubt they'd fill a football stadium, they had the big Royal Albert Hall shows. But on your average show they filled the Victoria Hall with 2,000 folk. The halls were probably the ideal size for the product and its audience. This is back when they had the proper theatres and not these silly arenas that they started building later on. Television was a huge thing for British wrestling, Daddy, Haystacks, McManus, Naggers, etc. were household names, proper celebrities.

They also packed out Ice Arenas in Scotland in the 60"s. When it comes to British Wrestling, Meltzer knows very little IMO. He is VERY knowledgeable of American & Japanese wrestling, I subscribe to The Observer & have done for years. You will notice on the very rare occasions he covers a historical piece on the British scene, He always calls on outside help.

I was around when British Wrestling was at its peak & you should never play down how popular it was. There are always people mentioning how good the territories were in the States at around the same time. But for such a small island, The UK was one big thriving territory from coast to coast with few gaps inbetween?

Wrestling just wasn't seen as a big deal in this country. It wasn't something that people would generally travel very far to see, or pay high ticket prices to see, or that would even be the highlight of anyone's week. It was just something to do instead of going to the pub, or the bingo, or the dog track or whatever. The booking was never really structured around feuds or big blow-off matches either, which were generally the matches that were held in big stadiums in the states.

And what was the question?

I suppose it was just simple supply and demand, they couldn't put on every show at a football stadium, they were putting on several shows a night, all over the country, I don't know how many punters they turned away, but the venues always seemed pretty full, however come on, I seriously doubt they'd fill a football stadium, they had the big Royal Albert Hall shows. But on your average show they filled the Victoria Hall with 2,000 folk. The halls were probably the ideal size for the product and its audience. This is back when they had the proper theatres and not these silly arenas that they started building later on. Television was a huge thing for British wrestling, Daddy, Haystacks, McManus, Naggers, etc. were household names, proper celebrities.

The question was from someone who had been watching World of Sport recently and they asked how much were the wrestlers getting paid and how big were they in the UK.

Archived