All Star cutting down on their number of shows

drew4primeminister

Not sure if anyone else has picked up on this but, according to All Star's website and quoting Brian Dixon:-

"All Star Wrestling will be presenting fewer events through the winter season and into 2012 having taken a conscious decision clearly reflecting the increasingly tough British financial climate."

The reasoning behind this, Dixon goes on to explain, is that fans are being much more choosy when attending shows. Is that his way of saying that attendance figures are down? Then, trying I feel, to put a positive spin on the situation, he says:-

"Yet, while we are being more selective when booking halls, we will be pulling out all the stops to ensure that bills which do take place are bigger and better than ever."

He even comments on other Promotions saying that:-

"(we) wish competitors who feel that they can do better at some of our present and former venues, every success."

So, is the biggest and most successful promotion in british wrestling, feeling the pinch? Is this reflective of the entire britwres scene or is it just All Star that are struggling?

Have to say that this is a bit of a shock. There are no dates on the All Star Calender for the Victoria Halls, Hanley which is one of the stalwart venues of british wrestling. It has serious wrestling history and I tend to think of it the same way in which I regard the Fairfield Halls, Croydon, so if they've stopped putting on shows at Hanley then one would sumise that things look bleak for All Star.

Bleak might be a little sensationalist, but it's certainly indicative of a downward trend. Music festivals, gigs and entertainments in general are bound to have reduced revenues as a result of the current climate and it'd be somewhat naive to assume this wouldn't hit All star as well.

But on the flip side, if he's still got a fair amount of venues and shows he's capable of turning a profit on then he's not doing too badly by any means.

I wouldn't necessarily say things are looking bleak for All Star. After all, theyve taken over some of Oric Williams old halls like Rhyl Town Hall in Wales and have been running there every week over the summer. Plus, theyve also taken on Haven camps to go with their regular Butlins camps.

I guess it makes financial sense in regards to the theatres and town halls they book. Hull City Hall, for instance, has seen a decline in attendance over the past couple of years and it looks like they [sadly] are not on the calender for the foreseeable future.

Dixon's been in business for decades. He survived the massive decline the industry suffered when British wrestling was kicked off TV in the late 80's, he'll survive this

• Paid Members
"(we) wish competitors who feel that they can do better at some of our present and former venues, every success."

Is it not posible that some of these competitors are doing better at some of their present and former venues?

Im not sure we should look as this as a "bleak" grim future for All Star, I expect Brian has noticed a dip in certain locations and is therefore dumping some venues and scaling back on other venues. I would say it could be a sensible move, protect your best locations make some bread and butter but trim the fat in those shows where the profit is down or you have made a loss.

Brian must be getting on a bit to, may want a bit more of a rest now. But I think we will see All Star for years to come

Well to be fair all star is kinda shit, I wouldn't go.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. All Star certainly isn't the edgiest, most exciting promotion out there but it's been the backbone of british wrestling for many years and has had (and continues to have) a roster full of some of the best british wrestlers out there. It plays to it's strengths and, if you can tolerate the screaming kids and sea of waving foam hands, nearly always puts on a good show. I would be sad to see it's disappearance from the town halls and civic centre's circuits - not all of us can take in a show at Butlins or Haven camps.

Is it not possible that some of these competitors are doing better at some of their present and former venues?

If people were prepared to put the promotional time and effort in and promote strong cards then i'm sure there's every chance they could draw better that Dixon in a few of his more popular venues. He's long since focused on his holiday camp contracts and running the majority of his venues only once or twice a year. However i've yet to see evidence of anyone actually succeeding in this.

• Paid Members
Oh personal choice and all that, just don't do it for me in the slightest, I wouldn't miss em.

Not directly you wouldn't, but if you follow British wrestling then indirectly you may. You have to remember that a company such as All Star that is able to provide more work than most gives workers the opportunity to work against different people and improve their skills. Something they can't do without regular work.

Archived