Tonight's RAW Preview *Spoilers*

BritFan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really great last segment. I am very interested in the outcome of the Summerslam main event and that's enough to sell me on watching it. What the hell has happened to the rest of the card though? 4 matches announced? Mental. Other than the women's match, they are all solid matches, but still, you'd expect the vast majority of the card announced by now usually. It's a bit mad they have nothing for Miz, Alberto, Rey, Kofi, Ziggler etc announced.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it is pretty mental but more-so disappointing. And that really reenforces for me how the Punk angle and return was rushed and could easily have been still kept short-term and held off until Summerslam itself.

Some claimed Punk had to return that soon and wanting him to be kept off TV would have killed his momentum and was just being idealistic. I still very much disagree with that thought process. Considering how the rest of the card looks and the amount of guys with nothing to do on the card and the amount of guys that should be playing big, significant roles on television following MITB (Miz, Del Rio, Mysterio namely) and if they wanted to book the two WWE titles angle as they have done they could have so easily held off on the Punk return until Summerslam or the Raw after and used the vacant title tournament as the basis for the Summerslam story.

Almost everything else could have been booked the same. The WWE title tournament happens in a one night tournament at Summerslam and Cena is also entered and the final is Cena vs Mysterio. Either have Cena win there and Punk return and interrupt there with the two title situation ending the show like the Raw a couple of weeks back. Or either Cena or Mysterio wins and they have a rematch on the San Diego post Summerslam Raw and Punk returns then. Either way, Summerslam could have had much more intrigue going into it for me this way and giving the likes of Miz, R-Truth, Ziggler, Kofi, Mysterio and Del Rio some real purpose in the run-up. The intrigue of Punk possibly showing up would always be there too and of 'will they really crown a new champion or will there be shenanigans' as well as having a logical angle set up to tease another Del Rio cash in if he is eliminated from the tournament early.

Seriously, you're blaming the rushing back of Punk for the lacklustre rest of the card?

They've had PLENTY of time outside of Punk/Cena/HHH to be able to build up a card. They could've left Morrison/Truth for the PPV for a start.

Punk's segments have been constantly the best since he came back, and his feud with Cena is what will sell the card. They did the sensible business thing and capitalised on something that was hot.

I think the thing with that is that WWE thought Cena vs Punk was a bigger SummerSlam sell than the Punkless one-night tournament would have been. I'd agree with doing the tournament instead, though, because Survivor Series '98 is one of my favourite events of all time.

But it'd still be a stopgap measure and the next month when there isn't a tournament, we'd have the same problem with several high-profile guys being ignored because everyone's focused on writing stuff for Punk-Cena.

Two consecutive pay per views where the main event and the aftermath are, in my mind atleast completely unpredictable, an element which makes wrestling special. Aslong as Punk comes out of Summerslam in a credible manner and appearing in his 'voice of the voiceless' demeanour I'll be happy. Should be a crackin' match and can't wait to see it play out.

• Paid Members
Seriously, you're blaming the rushing back of Punk for the lacklustre rest of the card?

They've had PLENTY of time outside of Punk/Cena/HHH to be able to build up a card. They could've left Morrison/Truth for the PPV for a start.

Punk's segments have been constantly the best since he came back, and his feud with Cena is what will sell the card. They did the sensible business thing and capitalised on something that was hot.

No, i'm not blaming the lacklasture undercard purely on Punk being rushed back. I'm saying they could have done this angle over a few weeks, keeping it as the main focus of the show while getting loads of others involved in the hot angle too.

They did the sensible business thing and capitalized on something that was hot? Does everyone really, seriously believe Punk would have lost so much momentum and no longer be the hot property he is had he been kept off TV (in a physical presence only) until Summerslam? A mere few weeks!? If everyone does think that i think you're all wrong, frankly. I get why they brought him back early, don't get me wrong there. But i so very much disagree that the momentum would have been lost. He was only gaining more momentum in that first week away. It was being played brilliantly. Everyone would have been absolutely gagging for him to show up at the Summerslam tourney by the time it came around. That would have been a massive sell point in of itself, with Punk hinting at it through his own means and with subtle hints to him being kept up on WWE TV. Matt Hardy only gained more and more momentum and popularity through being off TV and making his voice heard through social networking/internet mediums. Matt fucking Hardy. I reckon Punk would have done alright with this angle.

As great and as fun as Punk is right now, he's definitely lost a bit of that shine, sparkle, magic whatever the hell you want to call it that he had a few weeks ago. As has Raw as a result. It's still a decent watch, i'm not one to be always negative about things and moan how things used to be better, i think i actually tend to be someone who looks at the current product more positively than most generally. But, this whole angle felt like it was the makings of something truly special for a moment there and it's a big disappointment that feeling no longer exists. It's said often in WWE that often less is more and in my opinion this is most definitely one of those cases.

Have they even bothered to interview Rey on camera about winning and losing the Title in one evening? Rey has every right to be pissed off and it's very shoddy that they have barely addressed his poor luck. You'd think he'd get a lot of sympathy if they pushed the fact that he had to wrestle two top guys in one night, and his second opponent was fresh. They even omitted Rey's win from the Cena/Punk build-up video.

Have they even bothered to interview Rey on camera about winning and losing the Title in one evening? Rey has every right to be pissed off and it's very shoddy that they have barely addressed his poor luck. You'd think he'd get a lot of sympathy if they pushed the fact that he had to wrestle two top guys in one night, and his second opponent was fresh. They even omitted Rey's win from the Cena/Punk build-up video.

They probably are not showing it because they don't want Triple H and Cena to look bad, Triple H making the match and Cena competing in it was a totally heel thing to do.

They did the sensible business thing and capitalized on something that was hot? Does everyone really, seriously believe Punk would have lost so much momentum and no longer be the hot property he is had he been kept off TV (in a physical presence only) until Summerslam? A mere few weeks!?

It wasn't necessarily the sensible business thing, but it was the safe short-term option, and WWE will always take that over long-term (or even mid-term) shake-ups to the status quo. They've got no competition, a global monopoly, and shareholders to answer to. They've got no reason to take a gamble. It may not be massively creatively fulfilling, and we may not like it as jaded long-term fans, but the best we're going to get is these short-term curveballs (like the Nexus last year) to create a quick buzz and pop a buy-rate before order is restored. They didn't even keep Cena off TV for a week when he got 'fired' last year.

In the long term it might be a bad strategy and business might drop off, but while they're still turning a huge profit they've got no reason to fuck with the formula.

Does everyone really, seriously believe Punk would have lost so much momentum and no longer be the hot property he is had he been kept off TV (in a physical presence only) until Summerslam? A mere few weeks!? If everyone does think that i think you're all wrong, frankly. I get why they brought him back early, don't get me wrong there. But i so very much disagree that the momentum would have been lost.

Everybody I know, who started tuning into WWE again for CM Punk, said if he didn't appear back on Raw when he did they wouldn't have bothered watching the show again. They wouldn't have been able to wait til Summerslam - it's not the 80s or 90s anymore. While I agree with some of your points the main problem for me though is that putting a WWE Title tourney on PPV would have been the absolute worst thing to do. Everybody could figure it was gonna be a waste of time and the crowd were absolutely dead (and quite right) for the tourney on Raw, just waiting til the end of it because they knew something would happen (and it almost didn't). If they said they were doing a tourney for Summerslam many folk would just not care and it would have made almost a month of shows and a PPV pretty pointless rather than just a week.

Everybody I know, who started tuning into WWE again for CM Punk, said if he didn't appear back on Raw when he did they wouldn't have bothered watching the show again. They wouldn't have been able to wait til Summerslam - it's not the 80s or 90s anymore. While I agree with some of your points the main problem for me though is that putting a WWE Title tourney on PPV would have been the absolute worst thing to do. Everybody could figure it was gonna be a waste of time and the crowd were absolutely dead (and quite right) for the tourney on Raw, just waiting til the end of it because they knew something would happen (and it almost didn't). If they said they were doing a tourney for Summerslam many folk would just not care and it would have made almost a month of shows and a PPV pretty pointless rather than just a week.

Yeah if there was some way to convince the fans that Punk wasn't coming back then people could have believed in the tournament for Summerslam. But everyone knew he was coming back and it was only a matter of time. I reckon they did they best thing they could. I just didn't like how he just sauntered out on Raw one day and he was back.

Its been a cracking storyline though in fairness, its just a shame the rest of Raw isn't even a quarter of the excitement that Punk/Cena/HHH provide.

Also if Del Rio leaves Summerslam with the Title that would be the worst thing I could think of. At the minute nobody could give a shit. Although I fear the may do it. I think I heard someone coughing in the crowd andd a tumbleweed go by during his promo and entrance.

• Paid Members

mdh85, I understand all those points but I don't see how not booking Punk on tv for a couple of weeks for the purpose of an angle and building Summerslam around Cena - Mysterio affects or is relevant to any of that.

That's so incredibly short sighted! Your mates said that? Everyone spouts similar shit all the time. People on here do it every week. You don't think they'd be intrigued when they hear he'd returned, there was 2 WWE Champions and he was back because he's the real champion?

I also disagree that nobody would have bought a tournament for the title because they knew it wouldn't be legit. Everyone seems to have forgotten already that the beauty of the origins of this angle was that we didn't really know what exactly was going on. That was still the case in many people's minds when Punk walked out of Chicago with the WWE title. That curiosity would have become heightened. People would want to follow Punk on twitter and that tool could be used to push an element of the angle and hint at him showing up. WWE could easily have pushed the angle making the tournament seem it was the real deal and was put in place to restore the honour of the title that someone had disgraced by refusing to defend it.

I honestly don't see how stretching the very same angle just out a few weeks longer would do anything but enhance the angle, Summerslam and everyone involved and surprised so many feel otherwise.

Archived