Tonight's RAW Preview *Spoilers*

BritFan

I'd just like to say to those of you whining about there being too many contract signings:

WWE has been really, really good for weeks. Enjoy it while it lasts and stop nitpicking. This is an exciting and comparatively original storyline. You'll have plenty of legitimate reasons to complain about WWE being safe and boring in the coming months and years, I have no doubt, but this is not one of them. Take your mardy cynic hat off, get some beers and munchies in and enjoy your wrestling while its being good for a bit. :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think I've heard the critique "there are too many contract signings in wrestling recently" ever. Such an odd thing to say. Even if there has been a lot I don't really care, surely its just as good a way as any to get HHH/Cena/Punk in the ring together! Anyway the only other contract signing I remember is Christian and Orton, but I'm sure there are probably more that have happened!

I haven't exactly been blown away by the return of Punk, still been good don't get me wrong, but it hasn't been anything as mind blowning as his two promos and MITB, so I don't feel its worth staying up for.

Excited to see if Truth/JoMo will do anything, and what Miz will be up to. Excited for Summerslam.

The end segment (about 20 minutes or so it lasted) was decent and I much preferred it to the confrontations of last week. The first couple of bouts on the show were alright too, but the rest of the show was missable. Not much of a Summerslam build-up as most of the folk in matches didn't have a PPV match announced to be building towards.

But yes, the contract signing at the end was great and we got a bit more chat and thoughts from Cena's side. Both men added their fair share of 'realism' into this conversation too, bringing up social media, The Rock, and touched upon some of those who were released last week.

What's happening with Summerslam then? As far as I can tell, there are 4 matches announced so far - the 2 top titles matches, Sheamus V Henry and the women. Anything else?

Also, with HHH as the special ref, surely he screws Punk?

I think based on the ending, if there is some shenanigans then it is Cena getting screwed. Which is a bit rubbish. No one needs to leave Summerslam with Cena as the white knight, and Punk as the corporate stooge.

Punk is fucking electric, btw. The writing last night did its best to lay out an implicit hierachy whereby Punk was positioned above John Laurinitis but beneath Triple H, John Cena and even the fucking Rock. Yet with his own inimitable style, and blistering material, Punk very much positioned himself above them all by the end. Cena, for his part, was very good last night; no goofy nonsense, just a very reasoned promo that acknowledged, moreso than ever before, his unique relationship with the audience (particularly the men) and even brought up some of the flashpoints as to why certain fans don't like him (heel persona, 5 moves of the doom, workrate). He managed to make this points seem very silly, which they are.

Punk however was absolute, absolutely incredible. I very nearly lost my shit when, after Triple H piping up to call Punk a phoney, he brought up how the WWE routinely fired people over the phone. Seriously, whoever is either writing or just plain green lighting this stuff is an absolute genius. Masters even got props. Awesome.

I fast-forwarded through a lot of the other shizz, as every match seemed to have someone I didn't care about or two people I don't care about.

But, that last promo was aces.

The segment at the end was fantastic TV.

If anyone gets screwed at Summerslam, it must be CM Punk.

I feel HHH/Cena must join forces, Cena must turn heel.

Cena/Mysterio next week on Raw would be the perfect first match for Cena after his turn.

Mysterio is the loved underdog in his home town. It could be huge.

Anyway, I will stop jumping the gun and going off on one, lets see where they go with this.

If there's shenanigans, then I'd bet my house that it'd be a swerve and Cena getting screwed. Whilst the ending tried to hint that it'd be a HHH/Cena alliance, too obviously for my liking, the content of Cena's promo showed me that they have no urge to significantly alter Cena's character.

Really good show I thought. The ending was superb, Cena Vs Swagger was up there with the one they had on the Draft night a couple of years ago, Punk Vs Del Rio was decent, as was The Miz. I skipped through Morrison Vs R Truth though, I'm just not interested in them.

If there's shenanigans, then I'd bet my house that it'd be a swerve and Cena getting screwed. Whilst the ending tried to hint that it'd be a HHH/Cena alliance, too obviously for my liking, the content of Cena's promo showed me that they have no urge to significantly alter Cena's character.

Thats what I fear.

Depends if WWE feel Punk can be that Austin type anti-hero. I feel he could. Looking at the crowd last night, I was a little shocked to see how many Punk t-shirts were being worn. I like the shirt and thought it would be popular but not to the extent it seems to be.

HHH is helping to screw someone or why bother having him in the match ?

He could screw Punk to put him in his place and further a feud between the two without it involving or turning Cena but I don't like that option.

HHH/Cena becoming a two man power trip like they tried with HHH/Austin a few years back would work better. It could pro-long Punk/Cena and lead perfectly to HHH/Punk and Rock/Cena at next years Mania.

Or, they could make Punk the corporate champion against the scorned babyface, John Cena. Don't get me wrong, I think that would be a massive mistake and misreading of the situation, but it certainly isn't something i'd put beyond them...

It was an entertaining show but it did fuck all for Summerslam. Last segment was brilliant.

Miz and Kofi had a great match.

Do you mean the rest of Summerslam? The Punk/Cena hype was really well done I thought. I do agree there wasn't much else done for SS bar Miz being angry he didn't have a match (what a match with Kofi Kingston btw) but do they really need to do much else? People are gonna buy it for Cena/Punk and Cena/Punk only. The rest of the matches are just bonuses. Its what wwe always do.

Does anyone know what the ratings for the past few weeks? Like have they gone up or gotten slightly better with the Punk vs Cena stuff?

Gutted if Punk doesn't win at Summerslam, but to be honest he can probably still make himself look awesome in defeat and whatever he is given afterwards. An HHH/Cena alliance would be great with anti-hero Punk up against the authority. I reckon Del Rio may try to cash in his MITB Briefcase but fail again.

Archived