RIOT!

big mickey

16.30 Emma Barnett has been speaking to Twitter about whether or not they are going to do anything about rioters inciting violence using the social media site. They have refused to do anything saying "the tweets must flow" and claiming freedom of expression.

This won't end well.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spoke to the police, they're "all over that one". The chap I spoke to sounded up for it tonight, which was encouraging.

EDIT: it's worth noting that he said it was hugely useful that people are reporting these sites. As internet-literate people we can actually fight back a bit, help the police track the organising online.

Edited by Loki

16.30 Emma Barnett has been speaking to Twitter about whether or not they are going to do anything about rioters inciting violence using the social media site. They have refused to do anything saying "the tweets must flow" and claiming freedom of expression.

Absolutely right as well, there should be no circumstances for prevention of free speech. In any case, more is happening in the BBM groups than on Twitter according to most reports, Twitter has merely facilitated a lot of the pictures and news to become public quicker.

• Paid Members

This won't end well.

I think the police will also be able to monitor things like Twitter and use it to there advantage also, It still seems to me that its more of a case of loads and loads of small groups who are running around London and not being a big bunch so its harder to control them all. Every now and then they all get in 1 place and the police almost seem happy with them, its when they are in smaller groups then 50 when they set the fires and cause more chaos.

• Paid Members
Because it's an unfair society - a cleaner works just as hard as many billionaires yet enjoys 0.000001% of the rewards. How is that right? They should do the right thing and spread the wealth they have that they don't need. Or else we will have to accept an entirely inegalitarian system, and people will get frustrated and simply take what they want.

Oh dear, you're serious? I wonder how life would be if everybody earned the same regardless of what job they did? I think you'll find most billionaires work incredibly hard, quite posibly harder than your average cleaner, unless they're not particularly hands on, but then you have to look at how they got there, plenty will have had to work for it, sure plenty will have had it dropped in their laps too, but that's life.

• Paid Members
Oh dear, you're serious? I wonder how life would be if everybody earned the same regardless of what job they did? I think you'll find most billionaires work incredibly hard, quite posibly harder than your average cleaner, unless they're not particularly hands on, but then you have to look at how they got there, plenty will have had to work for it, sure plenty will have had it dropped in their laps too, but that's life.

I don't think they work harder, I think they have higher intelligence, see openings and take chances. Either way, that's life, live with it.

Just spoke to the police, they're "all over that one". The chap I spoke to sounded up for it tonight, which was encouraging.

EDIT: it's worth noting that he said it was hugely useful that people are reporting these sites. As internet-literate people we can actually fight back a bit, help the police track the organising online.

:thumbsup:

The police need our help on this, good thinking Loki.

• Paid Members

He should move to Cuba.

Edit Not Dj kris stupid new quote system.

Edited by Deaq

Met Hotline - 020 8345 4142

If anyone else finds Facebook sites or Twitter accounts planning rioting tonight, call the number above and tell the copper on the other end. It's really useful info for the police.

• Paid Members

Chatham & the Medway towns also came under fire, the Primark in Chatham went up in flames which shows you the level of Chavez we have here, not targeting Armani, but Primark.

Also, BBC starting to report that it's kicked off in West Brom. Oxford St stores being closed as well.