Andre The Greatest

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Here's a great article. Our Andre sounds like a good lad:

Do you have a favorite drunkard?

andre-giant-hdr.jpg

Some amazing man or woman, past or present, who stands colossus-like atop the Big Keg, the ground below littered with crushed empties and the blacked-out carcasses of lesser beings? A verging demigod, whose prowess with a bottle leaves you shaking your head in pop-eyed adoration? Lots of us do.

In addition to their wrist-raising abilities, we deify great drinkers because they indulge their lust for intoxication while simultaneously operating at the peak of their powers in whatever their chosen profession. In other words, great drunks are also great writers, actors, athletes, scientists, statesmen, philosophers, and so on.

I have a favorite drunkard. He was an athlete

• Paid Members

That was a very good read, a bit out of wack timeline wise, clearly Andre didn't retire following WrestleMania, but it was a really good read all the same.

• Paid Members
I never knew about Vince paying for Andre's back surgery. Really good article.

That doesn't suprise me at all, Vince does a lot of stuff like that but is rarely known for it. Not so sure the time frame on the surgery's right though is it? I know Andre wasn't on the first 2 WrestleMania's but I thought he'd still been active prior to WM3?

That doesn't suprise me at all, Vince does a lot of stuff like that but is rarely known for it. Not so sure the time frame on the surgery's right though is it? I know Andre wasn't on the first 2 WrestleMania's but I thought he'd still been active prior to WM3?

Very good read.

He was in matches at WM 1 & 2. WM1 was the Big John Studd Bodyslam match, and WM2, he won the battle royal that featured NFL players

This is a good article but there are some factual errors. The article suggests that Andre the Giant retired after Wrestlemania, and III is the one that is mentioned. Andre the Giant wrestled at Wrestlemania I, II, III, IV, V and VI! Of course, his schedule was lighter than before but as late as 1990, he was tag team champion (with Haku).

The Princess Bride was filmed after Wrestlemania II (1986), and Andre the Giant also appeared in WWE (and in NJPW) as Giant Machine after the movie was filmed before re-appearing as Andre the Giant for his heelturn.

In 1990-1992, he wrestled for All-Japan Pro-Wrestling where his final match took place in December 1992 (according to his wikipedia page).

As he died in January 1993, this means that he practically wrestled right until his death.

• Paid Members

Very good read.

He was in matches at WM 1 & 2. WM1 was the Big John Studd Bodyslam match, and WM2, he won the battle royal that featured NFL players

What's the matter with me? Bloody hell, of course he did! DOH! But that only highlights my point, so maybe someone can add something to the surgery speculation?

• Paid Members

Time to pull out a post from the UKFF archives:

119 bottles of beer, assuming 4% strength and 330ml?

That's 40 litres of fluid. You couldn't get close to drinking 40 litres of any fluid before your brain or kidneys shut down because it dilutes the levels of elecrolytes (basically salts) which makes things such as muscle contraction work. A National Center for Biotechnology Information study calculated that a person with two healthy kidneys can excrete about 900ml (0.24 gal)/hr. So this session would have had to have lasted forty hours, most of which would have been spent pissing . The same study estimated that 3 litres of water at a single session could be fatal.

Most people of my age will 'remember' that a girl named Leah Betts died from an ecstasy overdose. She didn't. She died because the effects of the ecstasy caused her to drink about 7 litres of water, which caused her brain to swell up and shut down.

And assuming Andre magically coped with the fluid, what about the fact that it was alcohol? We're talking the equivalent of 70 pints here. SEVENTY. Seven Zero.

Bear in mind it takes about an hour to absorb the alcohol from half a pint of beer. Now, pretending this session lasted 40 hours (allowing Andre to piss enough water to avoid his brain dying), that means that at the end of it, Andre had the alcohol from 50 pints of beer inside him. That's 28.4 litres of beer, which at 4% is over a litre of pure alcohol.

If you take Andre's peak reported weight, the average water percentage in an adult male, and do some sums and conversions, you can work out a rough estimate of this blood alcohol content after this supposed session. Bear in mind that this takes into account his size, so the "he's a big bloke, he could handle a drink" routine doesn't wash.

On average, a blood alcohol content of .24% to .36% will leave you unconscious. If you really rush your drinking it's possible to get this higher if you pass out before absorbing everything you've drunk. On average, if you somehow get up to .48% you will die.

If Andre the Giant managed to drink 119 bottles slowly enough that he could piss enough to avoid water intoxication, and somehow managed to stay conscious, his blood alcohol content would have been approximately .8%. Double the average lethal dose.

Sorry to bore people with statistics here, but some stories are just so ridiculous they need to be blown apart. "Andre the Giant used to drink much more than the average bloke because he was so big" is a believable story. "Andre the Giant drank 119 bottles of beer at one sitting" is not a believable story because if it was true HE WOULD HAVE DIED.

And yeah, an added degree of bollocks when, as happened here, you refine the story so it's a six-hour session.

• Paid Members
Time to pull out a post from the UKFF archives:

119 bottles of beer, assuming 4% strength and 330ml?

That's 40 litres of fluid. You couldn't get close to drinking 40 litres of any fluid before your brain or kidneys shut down because it dilutes the levels of elecrolytes (basically salts) which makes things such as muscle contraction work. A National Center for Biotechnology Information study calculated that a person with two healthy kidneys can excrete about 900ml (0.24 gal)/hr. So this session would have had to have lasted forty hours, most of which would have been spent pissing . The same study estimated that 3 litres of water at a single session could be fatal.

Most people of my age will 'remember' that a girl named Leah Betts died from an ecstasy overdose. She didn't. She died because the effects of the ecstasy caused her to drink about 7 litres of water, which caused her brain to swell up and shut down.

And assuming Andre magically coped with the fluid, what about the fact that it was alcohol? We're talking the equivalent of 70 pints here. SEVENTY. Seven Zero.

Bear in mind it takes about an hour to absorb the alcohol from half a pint of beer. Now, pretending this session lasted 40 hours (allowing Andre to piss enough water to avoid his brain dying), that means that at the end of it, Andre had the alcohol from 50 pints of beer inside him. That's 28.4 litres of beer, which at 4% is over a litre of pure alcohol.

If you take Andre's peak reported weight, the average water percentage in an adult male, and do some sums and conversions, you can work out a rough estimate of this blood alcohol content after this supposed session. Bear in mind that this takes into account his size, so the "he's a big bloke, he could handle a drink" routine doesn't wash.

On average, a blood alcohol content of .24% to .36% will leave you unconscious. If you really rush your drinking it's possible to get this higher if you pass out before absorbing everything you've drunk. On average, if you somehow get up to .48% you will die.

If Andre the Giant managed to drink 119 bottles slowly enough that he could piss enough to avoid water intoxication, and somehow managed to stay conscious, his blood alcohol content would have been approximately .8%. Double the average lethal dose.

Sorry to bore people with statistics here, but some stories are just so ridiculous they need to be blown apart. "Andre the Giant used to drink much more than the average bloke because he was so big" is a believable story. "Andre the Giant drank 119 bottles of beer at one sitting" is not a believable story because if it was true HE WOULD HAVE DIED.

And yeah, an added degree of bollocks when, as happened here, you refine the story so it's a six-hour session.

Bollocks.

Next, you're probably going to try and convince me that Andre couldn't actually walk on water.

Tread carefully, Sir. This is the Church of Andre and we are it's followers and believers. We spend our days playing cards and smoking cigars. Don't fuck with anyone whos bathroom habits include having a shit on a laid out newspaper on top of their bed.

I hate being bored on afternoons :angry:

Archived