Territories

Icon

I think WCCW was overrated tbh. For all people moan about Cena being overprotected and never showing weakness, the Von Erich brothers were far worse.

Maybe so, but they were absolutely adored by the entire wrestling fan community in the state of Texas, and along with the Freebirds, they were the gig. Protecting them was the right thing to do, as they were the absolute idols of pretty much every WCCW fan in existence. The people loved them.

I suppose a similar statement could be made in regards to Cena, but its clear that he is not as universally adored as the brothers Von were at their peak. It seemed to take a lot more throat ramming and pushing for people to finally give in and accept him as they seem to have now done.

(Just my opinions, I'm not interested in the pro / con Cena argument any more)

• Paid Members
I think WCCW was overrated tbh. For all people moan about Cena being overprotected and never showing weakness, the Von Erich brothers were far worse.

Maybe so, but they were absolutely adored by the entire wrestling fan community in the state of Texas, and along with the Freebirds, they were the gig. Protecting them was the right thing to do, as they were the absolute idols of pretty much every WCCW fan in existence. The people loved them.

I suppose a similar statement could be made in regards to Cena, but its clear that he is not as universally adored as the brothers Von were at their peak. It seemed to take a lot more throat ramming and pushing for people to finally give in and accept him as they seem to have now done.

(Just my opinions, I'm not interested in the pro / con Cena argument any more)

Agreed. So the territory might have been skull-fucked by the Von Erich boys (literally and figuratively, perhaps), this was during a time where one of a promoter's biggest headaches and worries was talent leaving them in the lerch, as there was always the possiblity of the rival promoter offering more money. These were Fritz's sons and were highly unlikley to fuck off or miss dates (another headache then), so they were pushed to fuck with half the risk and the people lapped it up. And in the case of David, there was potential for more growth and was respected by all of the top guys then as someone with massive potential. I always preferred Kerry, myself but I realise he needed his hand being held more than David and Kevin. Whatever horrific tradgedies took place beginning with the death of David in '84, the fact remains that the Dalls terrritory was absolutley fucking white-hot in a state bigger than the UK, and drew fucking truckloads of money and depending on who you listen to, that is the main objective of wrestling, especially back then.

The Von Erich boys were the driving force behind that, make no mistake. Yes they had great talent to work with like the Freebirds and Brody, but the boys were the stars and it's my opinion that Kevin, David and Kerry were all special individuals in their own right and not just the boss's kids. If Fritz had three sons different to those I mentioned, then I don't believe it would of worked the same, there's a lot to be said regarding the personalities and qualities that the three main Von Erich boys brought to the table, something which I don't think has had enough attention.

• Paid Members

I'm not so familiar with WCCW and the history of the Von Erichs, so perhaps someone could answer this question:

The Legends of Wrestling II in-game biographies claim that Michael and Chris were talented, but couldn't deal with the pressure, owing to their size and the simple fact they weren't David, Kevin or Kerry. Any truth to that? Were they any good, but just couldn't deal with the hugeness of the task passed on to them of carrying a territory, or were they simply two guys who weren't suited to being wrestlers, forced into it by their dad?

• Moderators

Chris was 5'5 and asthmatic, and apparently Mike never wanted to be a wrestler but instead a musician. And Mike nearly died of Toxic Shock and was totally fucked when he got back in the ring.

• Paid Members
I'm not so familiar with WCCW and the history of the Von Erichs, so perhaps someone could answer this question:

The Legends of Wrestling II in-game biographies claim that Michael and Chris were talented, but couldn't deal with the pressure, owing to their size and the simple fact they weren't David, Kevin or Kerry. Any truth to that? Were they any good, but just couldn't deal with the hugeness of the task passed on to them of carrying a territory, or were they simply two guys who weren't suited to being wrestlers, forced into it by their dad?

Well, from what I gather, it seems as though Chris was down on a few things which he couldn't control. I have read and heard in a lot of places that he idolised Kerry, and from some of the photos Ive seen of Chris in his wrestling attire where he dresses exactly like Kerry, that seems true, and due to an illness he had, asthma I think, his growth was stunted which made him less than average height, I think he was around 5'5 or 5'6, which would probably of been rammed in his face all the time with things like "Hey, man why are you so small, I thought you were a Von erich", he also had brittle bones and therefore couldn't wrestle properly even though all he wanted was to be a wrestler, like Kerry. Of course, then came the Steroids, but with such a small, limited frame, there was only so much "size" he could put on, but of course, he still experienced the side effects, mainly depression, which lead to the terribly sad ending.

Contrarily, Mike didn't want to be a wrestler at all. On the Heroes documentary, it's said that he wanted to be a camerman, and if that's true, it gives insight to the fact that he probably wanted to be well out of the spotlight, maybe because of confidence issues, and one of the things that was always said about him by fans etc was that he "was so skinny compared to his brothers", so again, I imagine that was something shoved in his face, and if he had confidence issues and was an introvert that he seemed to be, then it's easy to see how he could slip into such a depression. Then of course, there was the time he spent in hospital due to illness, and the family were told by doctors that he would die anytime soon, so "say goodbye". He lived, but apparently his temperature went to such heights that it damaged him and was never the same.

You never know what really went on, but you can understand how things went the way they did.

• Paid Members
That was about 2 years after the Israel Shoulder Injury/Toxic Shock syndrome, wasn't it?

That's what I've always thought, he was injured during an Israeli tour which lead to toxic shock syndrome which he survived but was never the same man again, leading to his suicide.

Archived