Your Favorite Matches...

Michael_3165

I know this has been done before but I can't find the thread plus its always good to get ideas for me to look up at a later date... So your favorite matches from... Royal Rumble, WM, King of the Ring (before it stopped) Summer Slam and Survivor Series. One rule... You can't use the common ones... (For example, HBK vs Taker, HBK vs Razor, Hart vs Hart) let's get some variety!

RR - I really loved Edge vs Ziggler from this years RR. I thought that the near falls were convincing and Ziggler really shone in defeat. On a side note I really enjoyed the Bryan/Punk/Regal stuff from this Rumble too.

WM - HHH vs Taker - ok so I kinda broke my own rule but still its not one that's thrown around a lot so gimme some slack. Barely any moves but had me gripped. That's good psychology storytelling imo

KOTR - I really liked the Austin vs Mero semi final at the 96 event. I do believe that Bret vs Diesel from the 94 show wasn't bad either IIRC

SSlam - Bull Nakano vs Blayze from 94 was a decent little match with some great, realistic moves and show how far female wrestlin has fallen in WWE

Survivor Series - Dudleys vs Hardys vs 3 Minute Warning (I think!) From 2002 was a fun little match nothing outstanding but it did the job

SO what's your fav non "big money" ppv matches

Although we're missing the obvious matches out, I still feel it'll be won by 'obvious matches' a la, Rockers v Orient Express style matches. That being said, a novel idea...

Royal Rumble - Whenever the underrated match thread invariably pops up, there's one I always bring up. This is that match, from the 1990 event I give you Greg Valentine v 'Rugged' Ronnie Garvin. It's a submission match, it is as hard hitting as you'd expect from cartoon era WWF. I had absolutely no faith when I watched this match for the first time about 10 years ago, but I can still sit down and watch it now from bell to bell and be utterly gripped throughout.

WrestleMania - Another that I usually bring up is New Age Outlaws v Cactus Jack/Chainsaw Charlie from WM XIV, however from the previous year i'd like to say Nation of Domination v Ahmed Johnson & LOD, in a Chicago Street Fight. Again I think based on the participants this gets overlooked. It is as wild a brawl as you'll see and actually still holds up to this day pretty well. Back then I loved Ahmed and LOD, so it's no surprise how highly I rate this.

King of the Ring - Owen Hart v 123 Kid from 1994. Owen was my favourite at this time, I always had a soft spot for the heels that could put on good athletic matches. As mentioned very often on here too was that in young Waltman you had the uber underdog face who you couldn't help feel sorry for when he was taking a pasting. IIRC, it's a short enough little match but proof that it's not what you do or how long you've got but a combination of both to strategically pace and tell that all important story. Owen's ascendancy to the main programme and transformation into the 'King of Harts' later that night. Beautiful.

Their 'rematch' 4 years later wasn't bad either.

SummerSlam - I like Test v Shane McMahon from 1999. The story going into this was (despite being essentially a love story which i'm not too fond of normally) rather amazing. Shane doesn't like his younger sisters boyfriend, attacking him physically and verbally whenever he can, hiring some goons to do his beat downs (which were Shane's school/college friends) and generally being a cunt before Test overcomes the odds to return the beat downs to Shane and the Mean Street Posse. Oh, and that elbow drop from Shane! Super.

Surviver Series - I'm gonna go for the Wild Card match from 1995 with HBK/Ahmed/Bulldog/Sid v Owen/Yokozuna/Douglas/Razor. A face/heel v face/heel dynamic not replicated since. Here you had the cream of WWF's mid/upper midcard roster here. Some good interaction, team dissention and actual wrestling in parts make for an enjoyable match.

OK, so these aren't my favourite matches but as I stated at the beginning, I still think it's gonna follow a similar pattern so I went for matches I thoroughly enjoyed that some may not have seen for a while. Refresh the memory so to speak.

• Paid Members

Violating your own rules, for shame. I for one am going to actually stick to the rules and try to honor some of the more over-looked matches on these cards:

Royal Rumble - The Royal Rumble match this year. I thought the 40 man format really worked well and I enjoyed every last second. I was surprised to see it mostly over-looked aside from the Booker and Diesel returns online the next day. Thought it was the best Rumble in years and the ending was a genuine mark-out moment.

Wrestlemania - Undetaker vs. Ric Flair at Wrestlemania X8. Forget the people who say this is a one-match card, this match was way better than it had any right to be. The chokeslam counter to the figure four was a thing of beauty. Arn Anderson's surprise run-in was a real mark-out moment too and the match really made Taker look strong. I'm in the minority I know but I thought heel biker Taker was the best thing he's ever done. He had quite a few good matches around this period, between this and the Hardy ladder match and Vengeance triple threat. Honorable mention has to go to the second MITB which, despite it containing absolutely no people I was interested in at the time, still managed to be quite entertaining and was way better than the star-studded MITB 3 line-up the following year.

King of the Ring - I'm not really a huge fan of KOTR as a PPV. There haven't been that many stand-out matches there in my eyes (although I'm working more from 1999 onwards for the most part). I'd say the Booker T vs. Lashley final of the KOTR TV tournament should count, so I'll choose that. Really showed how good Booker can be as he got a surprisingly good match out of Lashley and then adopted the King Booker gimmick, which is definitely my favorite gimmick of his. Wish they'd bring it back to be honest. It'd be better than hearing his inane commentary week in, week out.

Summerslam - Melina vs. Alicia Fox...just kidding. It's actually Eddie Guerrero vs. Tajiri vs. Rhyno vs. Crispin Noir from Summerslam 2003. I remember being really on the edge of my seat watching this, desperate for Eddie to retain as I thought he was the most entertaining guy on the roster around this period. Loads of near-finishes and innovative moves.

Survivor Series - I'd pick John Morrison vs. Sheamus from last years but looking at the card I think the choice would be too obvious. Therefor I'll choose Team DX vs. Team Rated RKO from 2006. Yes the faces did make all the heels look a bit ridiculous but the match was so much fun from beginning to end. Was fantastic to hear all the support for Punk but Shawn Michaels was easily the MVP of the match with his reaction to eliminating Mike Knox. "Who was that?"

RR- Hardy's/Dudleys from 2000 a match that has always stuck in my memory it was the first WWF dvd I borught and for a long while the only WWF dvd I owned so this match got watched quite a lot not an all out classic but I still love it.

Wrestlemania- I love Piper/Hart from WM8 I could watch that match over and over again and never get tired of watching it that match just clicked with me and I think the match is a work of art

King of the Ring- Edge/Angle from 2001 this match is another match I love because it was around the time when I was really getting into the WWF and this match has always stuck around in my memory from the summer of invasion and you could see Edge was going to be big down the road

Will edit it Summerslam and Suvivor Series later

Survivor Series - 2003 Team Austin vs. Team Bischoff.

KOTR - Angle vs Shane, Street Fight. Brutal. Love it.

Summerslam - Perfect vs Bret from 91 is probably 'a common one'. So I'll go say Boss Man vs Mountie. Mainly for the Mountie skits for the rest of the night.

Wrestlemania - Butterbean vs Bart Gunn. BANG!

Royal Rumble... I'll go say HBK vs Marty Jannetty from 1993

Matches that I've really enjoyed that probably get overlooked or watched once and never again.

Wrestlemania 18 - DDP vs Christian. Really fun little match with a good finish plus it was DDP at the peak of his positive speaking character and Christian in his temper tantrum phase.

Vengeance 2001 - Scotty 2 Hotty & Albert vs Christian & Test. For an opener, it was very very good and most people will have only watched it once. I know its not one of the 'big PPV's but still

Those are two of the less obvious matches that I've enjoyed off the top of my head.

Royal Rumble - Rockers v Orient Express from 91. Just outstanding.

Wrestlemania - Warrior v Hercules from WM4. So bad it's brilliant.

Summerslam - Bulldogs v Rougeaus from 88. Cracking opener and set the tone for the rest of the PPV nicely.

KOTR - Bret Hart v Bam Bam Bigelow from 93. Very good big man v little man match.

Survivor Series - Bret Hart v Shawn Michaels from 92. Gets criminally overlooked in light of later events.

Royal rumble - Hardys vs dudleys table match in 2000. Just got back in to wrestling around this time after a 2 year hiatus and this match blew me away

Wrestlemania - Edge vs Mick foley was absolutely brilliant in my opinion.

King of the ring - Shane mcmahon vs kurt angle.

Survivor series - batista vs undertaker in a cell

• Paid Members

Some good shouts in this thread. I'll have a go

Royal Rumble - good shout mikeymike83 on the Garvin/Valentine. I might be wrong on this but I seem to recall Bossman vs Barbarian being a surprisingly good big man match from 1991s RR. If its the one im thinking of I'll go with that just to be different.

Wrestlemania - I'll say HHH vs Owen Hart from WM 14. Loved that match and the angle surrounding it with Chyna handcuffed to Sarge at ringside.

King Of The Ring - The Rock vs Ken Shamrock from the 1998 KOTR finals. Pretty underrated imo. I liked a lot of their stuff from this period.

Summerslam - Loads from Summerslam. Harts vs Brainbusters from 89 is one of my all time favourites but it comes up a lot in these threads so I'll have the Steiners vs Heavenly Bodies from 93. Honourable mentions D'lo/Venis from 98, Benoit/Jericho from 2000 and Benoit/RVD from 02.

Survivor Series - Orton vs HBK from 07. Excellent match with a nice finish.

• Paid Members

Just thought of another couple of good ones from Survivor Series.

The 2003 elimination match with HBK, RVD, Booker T and the Dudleys vs Orton, Jericho, Christian, Scott Steiner and Mark Henry. Really well done match and Michaels was on top form, especially the final stretch of eliminations.

And one I havent seen in years so might not be as good as I remember but from 1999 the Hardys, Edge & Christian vs Hardcore & Crash Holly & Too Cool. I seem to recall this being a really fun little match. Might dig it out later if i can remember where the old tapes are.

Royal Rumble- Erm, bit tough this one. Actually, I'm going for Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker from RR 98. The casket match gimmick was pretty good and both were on top form for the time. Michaels facials in particular made it for me. Plus it was a time Kane mattered and was cool finish.

Wrestlemania- Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper WM 8. Exciting match both men brought something to it and I loved it.

King of the Ring- What obvious ones are there from KOTR? Anyway I pick Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Bret Hart. Classic big man little man match and Well worth watching.

Summerslam- Val Venis vs. D Lo Brown SS 98. Classic opener and both men were on great form at the time.

Survivor Series- Jamie Noble vs. Billy Kidman SS2002. A nice little cruiserweight match between two guys who worked hard. Really liked this one.

• Paid Members

The Noble/Kidman match was great too. I remember preferring their Vengeance match though where Noble busted out an awesome tiger bomb.

Also if anyone could find a link to HBK's burial of Mike Knox I'd appreciate it. Or a gif of some kind.

Archived