The Championship and Lower Leagues Thread 2011/2

patiirc

Dammit Clotteril was doing such a crappy job at Portsmouth, Id hoped he would stay until the end of the season, why on earth Forest would think this is a good manager is beyond me, hes failed at every single club he has been at, Pompey scum have the worst disclipinary record in division, manager makes excuses week after week, and the squad he has is not a team that should be 19th

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Dammit Clotteril was doing such a crappy job at Portsmouth, Id hoped he would stay until the end of the season, why on earth Forest would think this is a good manager is beyond me, hes failed at every single club he has been at, Pompey scum have the worst disclipinary record in division, manager makes excuses week after week, and the squad he has is not a team that should be 19th

Simply not true, built a good infrastructure and laid the foundations at Burnley for their success under Coyle and got Notts County up in 6 months. He also got three promotions at Cheltenham.

I'm about as big a fan of Cotterill's as you'll find. The job he did behind the scenes at Burnley and coaching players that Ternant didn't bother with was a big part of taking them from a club with no infrastructure into a club that could get promoted. For instance, he took their shitty centre of excellence and made it an Academy inside six months, allowing their youth players to play other top quality youngsters, rather than playing third division sides. On the field, he got Ade Akinbiyi playing again! Much of what Coyle did was on his back and on the back of Kilby allowing them to overspend to get promotion.

However, in the top two divisions, Cotterill lacks headline success. He was the first mate on Wilkinson's sinking ship at Sunderland, he was at Stoke two minutes and ultimately left Burnley in a poor spot. His successes are all lower down and the stuff he did at Cheltenham was not only 10 years ago but also achieved with quite horrific football. They have no fucking idea what they're doing down at the City Ground but they're still battling this whole "big club" thing that hangs over them. Other than the Clough era, they've always been a steady Second Division side. Davies was a good manager and he was sacked due to unrealistic expectations.

• Paid Members
I'm about as big a fan of Cotterill's as you'll find. The job he did behind the scenes at Burnley and coaching players that Ternant didn't bother with was a big part of taking them from a club with no infrastructure into a club that could get promoted. For instance, he took their shitty centre of excellence and made it an Academy inside six months, allowing their youth players to play other top quality youngsters, rather than playing third division sides. On the field, he got Ade Akinbiyi playing again! Much of what Coyle did was on his back and on the back of Kilby allowing them to overspend to get promotion.

However, in the top two divisions, Cotterill lacks headline success. He was the first mate on Wilkinson's sinking ship at Sunderland, he was at Stoke two minutes and ultimately left Burnley in a poor spot. His successes are all lower down and the stuff he did at Cheltenham was not only 10 years ago but also achieved with quite horrific football. They have no fucking idea what they're doing down at the City Ground but they're still battling this whole "big club" thing that hangs over them. Other than the Clough era, they've always been a steady Second Division side. Davies was a good manager and he was sacked due to unrealistic expectations.

I'm not a fan of Davies at all but I think he's a top rate manager in that league, can't believe Bristol City and Pompey aren't doing all they can to get him in, he'd keep them up and get them to have a good go at the playoffs in a year or two, i'd be intrigued to see how he'd get on with another shot at the PL, the Derby debacle obviously withstanding.

• Paid Members
The Derby thing was hardly his fault. He did better at it than Jewell. They just got promoted a year too early and couldn't/wouldn't spend the money to keep them up.

I'm aware of that, they were always destined to go down with that team and no investment, I wonder if it's his reputation of having trouble with chairmen that make them so reluctant to appoint him, he would have been alot better for Burnley than Laws for example. Revelations in his private life probably haven't helped either.

I'm not a fan of Davies at all but I think he's a top rate manager in that league, can't believe Bristol City and Pompey aren't doing all they can to get him in, he'd keep them up and get them to have a good go at the playoffs in a year or two, i'd be intrigued to see how he'd get on with another shot at the PL, the Derby debacle obviously withstanding.

The amount of abuse, you get for even deigning to suggest that on the BCFC official forums is beyond belief, the general concensus is, that Davies is past it and wont do anything requires money to get anywhere. Generally the most pressing argument against his appointment was that they dont like the man because they think he is a cretinous ratbag.

The City boards are pretty much gay for McInnes at present, believing that he is going to be the next saviour for the club, citing some of the same pros for McInnes as being against Davies as being manager, go figure Afaik, Davies hasnt applied or been considered, so its moot, however when some of the posters on Otib put some of the worst here to shame, then there really isnt any hope. Once their collective mind has been made, there is no swaying them. A week ago 90 per cent hadnt even heard of Derek McInnes, now he is going to turn the club around?

FWIW I'll laugh my head off if we go with Robins, or the 3rd party gets it, if only because it may shut some of them up for a moment. If he does get the job, we will never hear the fucking end of it.

I like Davies as a manager, followed his career since PNE, and think he still has what it takes, aside from the Tommy Sheridan related shenanigans, he has done well at Champs, often with little or no cash and when he has had the backing he has done well. Yes Derby was a slip up by a change of chairman and finances, completely scuppered that, plus he was at odds just before promotion over contract issues anyway. Was never destined to end in happiness there

I really hate Southampton for a bunch of rational and irrational reasons and really want us to beat them. The way this season's going to shake out, I honestly can't believe Southampton will be in the automatic promotion mix by the end of the season. Then again, who knows? Derby and Palace were relegation candidates last season and look at them now.

• Paid Members
I really hate Southampton for a bunch of rational and irrational reasons and really want us to beat them. The way this season's going to shake out, I honestly can't believe Southampton will be in the automatic promotion mix by the end of the season. Then again, who knows? Derby and Palace were relegation candidates last season and look at them now.

If Lambert and Lallana keep playing well they could be up there. I still can't see past West Ham for first though, their squad is just that good. It's too early in the season to call much else though, it's highly possible that none of the teams in the playoff positions at the minute will be there at the end of the season.

If Lambert and Lallana keep playing well they could be up there. I still can't see past West Ham for first though, their squad is just that good. It's too early in the season to call much else though, it's highly possible that none of the teams in the playoff positions at the minute will be there at the end of the season.

I think they currently have confidence and the shock factor on their side and that has given them momentum. If they lose momentum, through poor form or injury, I'm not sure who keeps it going. If they can have the perfect season, they can make it.

I was also both happy and sad about the news piece that David Bentley has gone back to Spurs. Happy because he was fucking rubbish, sad because he needs knee surgery and faces six months out.

• Paid Members

Went to Brighton on Saturday. Thought we were excellent. Should have won the game but hit the bar twice and missed a couple of sitters. That said, they could easily have taken one of their chances so not unhappy with a point. Basso was ace again. Very enjoyable supporting Hull City right now. We're a terrific football team and we play the right way. We're flying under the radar which suits us. Nigel Pearson has done an unbelievable job in the last year and gets knack all credit for it. He gets a bit of stick for the fact that we don't score many goals but we create so many chances, we have plenty of shots and we win plenty of corners and attacking free-kicks. Someone will get a good hiding soon, I'm sure.

The Amex Stadium is alright. Very nice from outside and the West stand is excellent but it's let down by the others. The away end, the South Stand is unfinished. The North stand looks ridiculous because it only has about a couple of thousands seats. The East stand is only half a stand too. It's hard to criticise them though, there is obviously scope for making it bigger but they can't because accessibility is really poor already. Oh, the seats are all padded too, apart from Arsenal, best seats in the country!

We took 1,527 which for a Saturday evening 5:30pm kick off is pretty darn good.

Some pics of the ground here:

West:

IMAG0143.jpg

North:

IMAG0144.jpg

East:

IMAG0145.jpg

South:

IMAG0146.jpg

Archived