Preston City Wrestling - A New Beginning Preston 26/08/11

fludder99

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first thing I noticed when I got to the venue last night was that I'd been there before but not for wrestling. I remember that night and it didn't end well so I am pleased to say that my return to Ignite did. I was impressed with the PCW setup with the screens and the sound system was pretty impressive. The comments during the matches was something different even if the words were mistyped, hey I like originality so I don't mind that. Anyway on with the wrestling.

Joey Hayes vs CJ Banks, well 2 GPW guys doing what they do best, I've seen all the Juice/Hayes matches in GPW and they have always been quality and this was no different. It was a fine opener and I can think of no better match to kick off a debut show.

Noam Dar vs Sam Bailey to the best of my knowledge was a first, well as a singles I'd previously seen them as opponents in a Survivor Series tag at GPW OTSS. The match was fair decent, with the unique spots and the battle of one upmanship. The highlights that stick out in my mind where those dropkick attempts in the turnbuckle. Finish was a bit different with a runin though I think and this is my opinion, I think it would have worked better if they'd played up being Scottish because the crowd was mixed so I doubt they know what PBW was. Ok, I realise some Scots may have been in attendance to see Noam and Lionheart but the majority of the crowd wouldnt get it.

Hammer Davis vs the jobbers was ok, seemed to be missing something. I think what hurt it abit was the jobbers getting in the offence from the off, I've never been keen on smart enhancement talent, especially when said enhancement talent gets offence in on the monster at the start of the match. I mean Burchill would never have taken offence like that. (I should clarify for anyone unaware that before Burchill was in WWE, he was booked as unstoppable monster but if he'd been attacked in the first 30 seconds and sold it, his aura would have damaged). I think Davis has potential but I think his overall act could deal with a few tweaks.

Ligero vs Ahmeen was another solid match that played up the characters well, the size difference and the personas etc. I remember the comments on the screen being in full force during this match, in particular, "Kick his wallett", unintentional hilarity but I digress. Lots of good spots, good back and forth and of course the unexpected crowd interaction helped make it memorable.

T-Bone vs Mastiff was a solid big man heavyweight clash which i enjoyed, T Bone and Mastiff seem to have good chemistry and the match was quite heated. T Bone was selling well for the majority of the match and the came outta nowhere with the Faarooq Spinebuster which was a bit random that move seems to beat everyone nowadays.

Dave Rayne vs Mad Man Manson was a good laugh, I'd not seen Manson wrestle for a few years so his act was totally fresh which made it all the more entertaining. The current evil Dave was the perfect foil to Manson's antics which worked well in front of the mixed audience. It was a fantastic match, the only probably with it was I think it should have been on in the first half in light of the main event. I mean it was a great match but creatively I'd have swopped it with one of the matches in the first half.

SHAG vs Project Ego was a fantastic main event from the word go though, full of laughs, great wrestling, the occasional bit of tag pyscology but just generally full. I was quite impressed with Nathan Cruz who I hadn't seen before, worthy of the Project Ego name so far, not sold on him being the Showstealer just yet after all it was just the one match but not a criticism.

On the whole as far as a debut show goes this was a fine effort by Preston City Wrestling, obviously there's room for improvement, as I say sorting out the variety on the card but thats a balance thats hard to come by, comes through trial an error. PCW with its presentation and its talent certainly has great potential and hopefully given time, might even join GPW, Futureshock an XWA and become the 4th "Must See" promotion up north. Many have tried but I think in the long run PCW could manage it.

PCW with its presentation and its talent certainly has great potential and hopefully given time, might even join GPW, Futureshock an XWA and become the 4th "Must See" promotion up north. Many have tried but I think in the long run PCW could manage it.

Fully agree with a lot of points in this. Including the switching the Manson match to the first half, and the Shawn being taken out at the start of the match. Wasn't a big fan of the words on the screen, but I think that more so because the spelling mistakes made me cringe more then the actual concept. Original idea though.

If you haven't done so already, I would strongly recommend you check out NGW in Hull. In the last year they have really stepped it up in a huge way and I personally feel should be considered in anyone's list of Top 4 promotions up north.

Not passing the buck, but it was my first time doing the music, and as such Lava had put their own DJ in there, and it was him who was responsible for the words on the screen. As it was the first show and we're using their equipment, I didn't want to start laying down the law, but I think we'll definitely say before the next show that we don't want him doing that again, it is a bit of a distraction!

Not passing the buck, but it was my first time doing the music, and as such Lava had put their own DJ in there, and it was him who was responsible for the words on the screen. As it was the first show and we're using their equipment, I didn't want to start laying down the law, but I think we'll definitely say before the next show that we don't want him doing that again, it is a bit of a distraction!

I dunno, I thought the stuff on screen was quite the USP tbh

Okay, sort out the mispelling, but certainly helped the more casual fans get in to chants and so on. Wasnt distracting in the slightest either

Archived