2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Why though? It's not like English football where it doesn't really matter if one big club gets dumped out - Rangers getting KO'd seriously affects our UEFA co-efficient, and even the reputation of our game.

It's quite funny we will have fans on just now telling us about co-effiency and how they help us get a higher one , and how we should support them in Europe when in actual fact nobody gives a shite.

The way I look at it - the less money they get the better. Why would we want Rangers and Celtic to compete in a competition that would further widen that financial advantage they have?

I really hope that, with both OF teams not having the funds to invest in their teams, that a few teams all have a right go, take points off them and keep up with the OF this season - especially if Hearts provide us with 1986-style hilarity.

• Paid Members
It's quite funny we will have fans on just now telling us about co-effiency and how they help us get a higher one , and how we should support them in Europe when in actual fact nobody gives a shite.

The way I look at it - the less money they get the better. Why would we want Rangers and Celtic to compete in a competition that would further widen that financial advantage they have?

I really hope that, with both OF teams not having the funds to invest in their teams, that a few teams all have a right go, take points off them and keep up with the OF this season - especially if Hearts provide us with 1986-style hilarity.

"No one"? I think some people certainly do.

"The less money for them the better"?! That's just a daft thing to say - the whole league is going through a financial crisis right now, and like it or not whether teams qualify for Europe directly affects that, whether it's for the money that makes sides or whether it's because of the additional TV money a more reputable league could bring in.

People generally seem to accept we need the Old Firm as a money spinner in Scottish football. If their teams are shit (which happens when Europe doesn't...) the drawn money decreases.

Don't get me wrong, I root for anyone but the OF in the league, but their European success (or lack of it) directly impacts every other SPL team.

• Paid Members
It's a new book due out later this summer about the Motherwell casual culture of the 80's :D

I might keep an eye out for that. While I don't agree with any of that stuff it makes interesting reading.

Coincidentally - I was telling Bettencourt that I was sent a "author" signed copy of Jay Allans Bloody Casuals the other day. It was free thankfully but I was still a little bit ashamed that it had my name written on it. :laugh:

I might keep an eye out for that. While I don't agree with any of that stuff it makes interesting reading.

Coincidentally - I was telling Bettencourt that I was sent a "author" signed copy of Jay Allans Bloody Casuals the other day. It was free thankfully but I was still a little bit ashamed that it had my name written on it. :laugh:

There's a Facebook page where you can keep up to date on release dates and so forth.

Because I doubt many Motherwell fans can even spell Champions League never mind watch their team participate in it.

That's the price you pay for not having a sectarian appeal to your hometown club I guess...

Good move for him though, I dread to think the crap he'd have gotten up to if he were in the same side as McGregor.

Yes! A striker! About bloody time. From what I've seen he could be a decent signing. Anyone reckon he'll do well in the Premiership? Or will he be a flop?

• Paid Members
Ron... with a more competitive league... do you not think broadcasters would be more likely to pay more?

Why would they? It's not like there was any kind of competition for the rights last time and, with less money and the quality players leaving, why would they offer more?

Would you be adverse to Rangers and Celtic doing well in Europe if it meant that third place got a Champions League place?

Archived