2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

Frankly as far as I'm concerned, my Rangers are dead. Or dying, whichever way you like. This new club doesn't represent me and it isn't the team I've supported since a boy. That club was killed by Murray, Whyte and all their pals, and I'll be pleased to see those responsible taken to task for it, but I won't be pleased to support this shadow of a club.

The likes of AFC Wimbledon were doing noble things by replacing a club that shouldn't have been taken away from them. We made our own bed and as such are now having to lie in it. I'm sure I'll keep an eye out for their results and such but I doubt I'll buy a ticket or a shirt again, be it SPL or SFL.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And as for it being heartbreaking for Rangers fans, a phrase that goes something like "if you don't ask 'why me?' in the good times, you have no right to ask it in the bad".

I would honestly have sympathy for Rangers fans if it wasn't for the "We Are The People" attitude. Still, there is plenty who don't think the club has done anything wrong and that everyone should be bending over to accommodate them. I have sympathy for a small minority of their fans, but there's a reason most fans of other clubs have enjoyed the whole episode.

I have sympathy for every Rangers fan who had a season ticket, or who bought match tickets regularly and who didn't partake in the religious shite that we see from both sides of the Old Firm primarily.

Aberdeen are a "no". That's Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, Dundee U and Inverness confirmed. Celtic is a given. Rangers are fucked. Where to now?

I'd be willing to put money on Celtic waiting until enough non-Old Firm clubs come out and say they'll vote no to secure Rangers exclusion from the SPL before they choose to abstain and not vote either way, thus alleviating themselves of any blame for Rangers being bumped.

I find it highly amusing that for all the years that Rangers supposedly shafted Celtic, and all of the so-called persecution their support feel that it's down to the "diddy clubs" to stand up and be counted when it comes to making a decision one way or the other.

• Paid Members

A few weeks ago I was sure a new Rangers would be in the SPL next season. So I'm quite surprised by this outcome but given the outcry from supporters that has obviously had an effect, I'm not as surprised as I might've been. I guess the thing is that while clubs are going to lose money and are probably going to have to cut their budget, they are at least all in the same boat. Long term, I think this will prove disastrous for Scottish football but I'd love to stand corrected on that thought.

Who plays in the SPL then? Dunfermline or Dundee?

St Johnstone statement:

The ongoing uncertainty surrounding Rangers has been an unwelcome distraction which has had an adverse effect on both participating SPL Clubs and Scottish Football in general.

The present economic climate has made it extremely difficult for anyone involved in football and any reduction in income will have a serious impact on this Football Club.

Notwithstanding the potentially damaging financial implications, the Board believes that sporting integrity should not be sacrificed in favour of economic expediency.

Over the last few weeks there has been a mounting groundswell of opinion amongst our fans which has clearly shown that the vast majority of our supporters would not favour an application by newco Rangers to the SPL. This has simply reaffirmed the Board's position.

It is important that a clear and unambiguous message goes out from the custodians of Scottish Football that this sort of scenario should never be allowed to happen again.

As a result, St Johnstone Football Club will not support an application by newco Rangers to join the SPL.

We would urge all St Johnstone fans to get behind the Club and offer their support in the challenging season which lies ahead.

A few weeks ago I was sure a new Rangers would be in the SPL next season. So I'm quite surprised by this outcome but given the outcry from supporters that has obviously had an effect, I'm not as surprised as I might've been. I guess the thing is that while clubs are going to lose money and are probably going to have to cut their budget, they are at least all in the same boat. Long term, I think this will prove disastrous for Scottish football but I'd love to stand corrected on that thought.

Who plays in the SPL then? Dunfermline or Dundee?

I'd say probably Dunfermline have a better shout than Dundee to play in the SPL, 3 of their defeats last year which contributed to their relegation came at the hands of Rangers. Plus it's a bit off to have Dundee leapfrog over them having only finished second.

Frankly as far as I'm concerned, my Rangers are dead. Or dying, whichever way you like. This new club doesn't represent me and it isn't the team I've supported since a boy. That club was killed by Murray, Whyte and all their pals, and I'll be pleased to see those responsible taken to task for it, but I won't be pleased to support this shadow of a club.

Is it that easy for you to switch off? Could you honestly be sitting there on a Sunday afternoon, see Rangers take the lead against Celtic in the future and not care? I find that hard to believe. I'm not having a dig, it's your choice - I just don't understand it, and I don't think many would.

Rangers have given me some of the happiest moments of my life - the ridiculous scenes of Helicopter Sunday, the tears of joy in Fiorentina, Mendes' goal at Parkhead, the trips up and down the country, meaningless friendlies down south leading to brilliant weekends, McGregor in Bremen, Walter's return, Lovenkrands' Cup Final winner, I could go on forever. I've met some of my best mates through the club and it's those moments that make the club for me, not the change of a company number/name, and it's the reason I'll be back next season. If we have to start again, then that's exactly what we do - start again. I'm not gullible enough to think we'll get 45,000+ in the third or first division, but as far I'm concerned if you could afford to be there when we wrapping up title after title and enjoying runs in Europe, then you can afford to be there when we're playing Falkirk and Cowdenbeath in the first division, or Peterhead and East Stirling in the third.

Does anyone think there's a chance that Green might use this fiasco to try to take Rangers into England, applying to enter one of the leagues, maybe the Blue Square Premier or the Football League's League 2?

To be honest, if most of the clubs are washing their hands of Rangers and want nothing to do with them, there isn't much incentive to stick around playing in Scotland is there?

Of course, the examples given would be Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham all playing in the English Leagues. Given that precedent, there's no reason why they couldn't move. Also, Berwick are in Scots Division 3 despite playing in England, and Derry City (based in Northern Ireland) play in the Republic of Ireland league.

Am I right in thinking that all the clubs that have publicly come out and said no are all owed money from transfers etc from Rangers?

The punishment of going down to the lower leagues could be a blessing in disguise as this would theoretically put money into grassroots football in the country.

Is it that easy for you to switch off? Could you honestly be sitting there on a Sunday afternoon, see Rangers take the lead against Celtic in the future and not care? I find that hard to believe. I'm not having a dig, it's your choice - I just don't understand it, and I don't think many would.

To be honest, this whole saga has run me ragged. I actually find it to be far more palatable for the team to be put into Division Three - if the SPL had simply readmitted this club, regardless of sanctions, I just can't help but think that the club's reputation would be irreparably damaged going forward.

It's definitely not easy to switch off - I've had similar experiences to you with Rangers and of course they're treasured. As I say, I'm sure I'll still look out for their results. Truth be told, I don't really know what'll happen. I just can't think of dealing with any more of this mudslinging shite. The club's name got dragged through the mud and now it's about to die. As far as I can see, that's it. Airdrie United still aren't Airdrieonians, Gretna 2008 isn't the Gretna that died and this Rangers just isn't my club. I wish it was, but it's not.

Do you think you'll support another team?

Since I came down to live in Yorkshire I've always had a soft spot for Sheffield Wednesday and usually go and see them a couple of times a year. I can't see that changing. I also like putting money into Doncaster Rovers' coffers; they are my local club after all.

Archived