Fire in Newcastle

Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Aye, it was canny mental actually, you could apparently see it from 30 miles away.

It was down by the Quayside, some kind of scrap yard just behind the swanky quay flats.

I was there, randomly, im in the pic on bbc news too (dark/balding head bottom of pic), i only stepped outside after a pub lunch, and within the 30 mins i was in there.. wham.. mental fire. Thankfully, only one person was hurt by this, very lucky.

_52836929_fire.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-13455952

• Paid Members

It really has, im a teacher at a disabilities school, i was on a visit with students on the quayside when this was all kicking off, we got a phone call about 5 mins after the photo above was taken saying "you must come back now, its a chemical explosion".. etc etc, we got back and were pretty much in lock down, no one was allowed outside, all windows were shut, it was crackers!

• Paid Members
Wasn't it in BYKER! GROVE! that it got started?

It wasn't in Byker, but near there. The scrap yard's in an area called Ballast Hills that lies in between Ouseburn, which is on the river (where the Tyne meets the River Ouse funnily enough) and Byker, which is up the hill inland.

Also, Byker Grove was actually filmed in Benwell ;)

Wait, Byker Grove's a real place?! I always thought it was made up for TV.

Well Byker is, no grove in it. Absolute craphole of a place with some very dodgy people in it - which is no surprise they actually filmed it in Benwell (as Khemical already mentioned) which is right over the other end of Newcastle.

• Paid Members
Wait, Byker Grove's a real place?! I always thought it was made up for TV.

Well Byker is, no grove in it. Absolute craphole of a place with some very dodgy people in it - which is no surprise they actually filmed it in Benwell (as Khemical already mentioned) which is right over the other end of Newcastle.

Because we all know Benwell is so much nicer than Byker.

radgie

Archived