Was meant to pay a criminal damage fine years ago and didn't

King Pitcos

This follows on from when I was asking about the US Visa thing a couple of months back. I'm going to go through the proper channels and try for a visa, but I'm not sure how exactly to proceed.

When I was eighteen, I got done for criminal damage. The sentence was a fine, three-hundred odd quid. I never paid it and I moved out of the place I was living about a month later, so I've never heard anything more of it. But I don't know what that means now, nine years on. Would it only count as a spent conviction if the fine's been paid? Am I technically a fugitive? What steps do I take to resolve it, and find out what I owe now (I'm assuming it'll have gone up)? How do I get a copy of my own criminal record? I'd like to get it sorted to apply for a nonimmigrant visa to the US for next year's WrestleMania, ideally.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There's probably a bench warrant out for your arrest. As far as I know, if you get nicked for non-payment of fines you get taken down the cop shop where you can then pay the fine or refuse and go to court the next day for the offence.

As far as I know, the landlord at the place I used to live sent a letter back saying "no longer lives at this address" and that was the last I ever heard of it. I assume there is a warrant out for me, but it'd be such a low priority that they'd never go to the bother of chasing up new addresses and it'd only ever come up if I was picked up for something else.

• Paid Members

You are supposed to declare any arrests, let alone convictions, when trying to enter the US. I'd get it sorted before trying. Have you got the cash to pay the fine? "Turn yourself in" at your local station and pay the fine.

You are supposed to declare any arrests, let alone convictions, when trying to enter the US. I'd get it sorted before trying.

Well yeah, that's the point of the thread.

Have you got the cash to pay the fine?

Depends how much it is. Could they have repeatedly issued non-payment reminders and court dates/fees for the last nine years without having an address to send them to, racking it up into the thousands? I assume they could, as the onus was on me to inform them of changes of address.

"Turn yourself in" at your local station and pay the fine.

Is there any way of finding out how much it is before doing that (and thus avoiding an arrest)? Can I not phone the court?

Call the court/office you were to pay the fine at. If you havent changed your address with them then it wil lstill be the same court/office as it was when the fine was issued. It may take a long call to get it sorted, but they should be able to tell you how much it is (original fine plus 30%-50% at a rough guess).. They should also be able to agree a reasonable payment plan..

You wont have a bunch of court summons, if you did have and didnt attend you would have a warrant issued for your arrest. You would be easy to trace via the tax, benefits, tv licencing etc.. Take the fact you havent beena arrested as a positive sign. But you must get it sorted if you want a visa, as you are currently in breach of the law.

Call the court/office you were to pay the fine at. If you havent changed your address with them then it wil lstill be the same court/office as it was when the fine was issued. It may take a long call to get it sorted, but they should be able to tell you how much it is (original fine plus 30%-50% at a rough guess).. They should also be able to agree a reasonable payment plan..

If it's only about

If it's only about

Cheers truth. I hope it is that simple.

Out of interest, what was the criminal damage for?

I put a taxi window through after a fight with some taxi drivers. Being absolutely blotto, I thought it was one of their taxis. It wasn't.

Archived