Was meant to pay a criminal damage fine years ago and didn't

King Pitcos

• Paid Members
Got arrested for ABH/Assault (the same night as the criminal damage). Was just a fistfight, so I don't think it'd count as moral turpitude either. Possibly not even as much as the criminal damage, which might count as malicious destruction of property.

Found not guilty of assault and thus served no prison time for it though. Do arrests count even if you're exonerated? What happens to lads who get falsely accused of rape and whatnot and are then acquitted? Are they fucked for going to America?

Truthfully I don't think any of us are qualified to answer these questions. Your best bet would be to contact a qualified Immigration Lawyer and find out what they think is the best thing to do. It may cost your some money to find out, but surely it's better than being bounced back on the next flight when you show up at the US Border?

Arrests do count even if you weren't convicted of the crime. You are asked to declare any arrests that were for crimes of Moral Turpitude. It's a very gray area.

Travelling under the Visa Waiver program with arrests like yours would be very risky. The CBP Officers at the border have total control and can send you home if they want to. Hence the 'Waiver' bit. You are signing away your rights to see an Immigration Judge should they feel that they shouldn't let you into the country. You have no recourse if they say no...

There is a lot of information regarding the "Visa Waiver Progam" here:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/esta/

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

And the question on the VWP form that would apply to you is this:

B) Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?

And yes they can be suspicious of people applying for B Visa's that are from VWP countries. But only in the cases where people don't actually need them. They ask why they need to visit the US for more than 90 days (the maximum time you can visit under the VWP) because nobody should need to be on vacation for that long. It's all about them protecting their borders and not letting in people that they feel will not return home. Which is not the case in your case.

Cheers Stephanie. Do you know if having flights booked or not has any impact on whether they'll grant a visa? From what I've read online, it seems that they check flight confirmation and such at visa appointments, but I don't want to spend hundreds of pounds on booking any until I know whether they'll give me a visa.

When was that though, moses? I don't fancy lying anyway because I don't want to (further) damage my chances of getting a proper working visa there in the future. I thought they'd gotten a lot better at catching liars on the VWP now though.

When was that though, moses? I don't fancy lying anyway because I don't want to (further) damage my chances of getting a proper working visa there in the future. I thought they'd gotten a lot better at catching liars on the VWP now though.

My record is from 2003 and I first entered America in 2008, been back twice since then in 2010 and 2011. I totally understand your worries, was shitting myself the first time I went incase I was refused entry.

If you're really worried about it do things through the officially channels, the worry of getting turned away spoilt the build up to my first trip and I still had that nagging doubt in my mind the other times i've been.

Pitycitytittyfuck, you never struck me as the agro type, and yet here's leaks of a right night of chaos. I don't want to threadjack, but at least lets get the story of all this destruction of people and stuff, it sounds great. Especially as I'm imagining you going postal sporting the Kofi Kingston t-shirt/wristband combo with a DX cowboy hat.

• Moderators
Stop worrying, America don't know nothing about small crimes. I have a record, lied on my Visa form and still got into America.

His experience counts for nothing. Just because he got through with ease doesn't have any relation to what would happen with you. You're rolling the dice when you try it. At the end of the day, the best way of you getting in to the country is to go the visa route*

*although a visa does not guarantee entry. Welcome to immigration law...it's fun!

Have I posted about the DX cowboy hat on here before? It doesn't fit on my head. It might have back then though, I wasn't as fat and I had a skinhead. Anyway, you'll have to wait for my autobiography for the full story. It's not that interesting. The best bit was dancing in the police station. Also going to court on the Monday and buying a Kurt Angle t-shirt that was too small for me from a dodgy market stall shop nearby.

Archived