RVD 2011 - is he capable of evolving

I havent seen RVD evolve from 1998, and was wondering what people think he could or should do to evolve as he hasnt progressed and to me he is met with a bit of a "meh" and apathy nowadays.

Can RVD evolve? does he need to? and what would you suggest

I loved the guy in 98, however i just feel that you could pull any match of his post 2002 and there would really be no difference.

It's a bit late in the day for him to "evolve" and I really don't think he's remotely interested in changing up his act. He clearly isn't interested in TNA creatively, and phones in most of his performances. And he didn't feel motivated or fulfilled in WWE either. It's a shame because he is a unique act with a great look who at one stage in 2001 looked like becoming the next major star. They never pulled the trigger on him though, (not counting 2005 when it was far too late) and maybe they were right not to do so. I'm not sure he's got what it takes in terms of ring psychology to be a long term headliner for WWE - or even TNA really, but they'll continue to push him anyway.

for me TNA have two of the most overrated under performers of all time in Jeff Hardy and RVD. They were both good and for me credible upper mid card talent but very one dimensional, supposedly charismatic without either actually being able to do much talking of merit and never worth a sniff of a main event anywhere in my opinion

Anything I've seen from Rob Van Dam in TNA in 2010/11 has been so uninspired its unreal. Its worse than Carlito's last year in WWE.

I've always liked Van Dam, and I even like his character, it just needs variation. If he somehow was cool and cocky, but then turned into fired up, intense competitor in the ring it would be fine. No other performer has lasted this long without changing a little bit...

His matches have entertained me, well anything I've seen in ECW, and a lot of his WWE run. I think in WWE he was maybe protected a wee bit and reigned in by agents or whatever.

...also worst hair ever?

He's proved his 'WWE watered him down' comments to be bollocks by being actually worse since he left WWE. I'd like to see that postponed match against Jerry Lynn happen though, see if he has what it takes to match their late 90's bouts. Then he can sod off and retire for all I care.

I often wonder what RVD's matches will look like when he gets into his fifties. He's forty-one now and he performs like someone who couldn't care less about what he's doing, but as long as he keeps getting reactions from the audience why would he change? If he was interested in evolving he would have done so years ago.

Is he capable of it? Probably not but more importantly why should RVD evolve? He still gets big reactions (outside of the iMPACT Zone), he's one of TNA's top merchandise sellers (along with Jeff Hardy & Mr. Anderson) and gets paid a lot of money to do what he does. He's got absolutely no incentive to evolve or change anything about him. Well, unless you consider pleasing the internet fans an incentive. As much as I would like him to evolve the fact is he doesn't need to (from his perspective).

His TNA run has been a HUGE disappointment. Before this year, I'd have said that he was the performer I was most interested in seeing, with matchups with AJ, Angle, Danielzz, Sting, and even Joe. But I can't really recall any of his matches, they've just been.... there. Loads of stalling, lots of double thumbs, not much selling.

By comparison, Anderson has had good outings and really stepped up. Frankly, I think Val Venis would have had a better year than RVD.

Archived