What If The Business Took a Massive Nose Dive?

chardcire

Ok so my question is simple but I think it could stimulate some interesting debate. What do you think would happen if the wrestling business took a massive nose dive? I know some will argue that it has already done so but I think its just a case of it being less popular than at its 80s and late 90s heights.

How do you think the WWE would react to its casual fandom disappearing or tuning out? Do you think they would try to appeal to their core fans who like wrestling or still keep to the same sports entertainment formula they have been doing for the past twenty to thirty years?

Ok so my question is simple but I think it could stimulate some interesting debate. What do you think would happen if the wrestling business took a massive nose dive? I know some will argue that it has already done so but I think its just a case of it being less popular than at its 80s and late 90s heights.

How do you think the WWE would react to its casual fandom disappearing or tuning out? Do you think they would try to appeal to their core fans who like wrestling or still keep to the same sports entertainment formula they have been doing for the past twenty to thirty years?

Something would have to go MASSIVELY wrong with WWE for that to happen. I mean Trips and Vince being busted as part of an international paedo ring wrong. So far WWE has survived men in their 30's dropping dead, some of them headline attractions in the company at the time, a steroid scandal that nearly landed Vince in prison, Benoit killing his family.

To be honest, at this point I find the collapse of WWE almost unthinkable.

Well it's an extremely odd set of circumstances. But if WWE somehow (presumably a wizard would be involved) lost every fan except the ones who want it to be more like ROH, then yes, the company would tailor its product to them. And run leisure centres and village halls, because there aren't enough of that sort to sustain a proper sized wrestling company.

Honestly.. i dont think the business taking a (continued) nose dive would change anything.. The only thing i feel would force Vince to change direction and get creative again would be competition.. and it doesnt look like he's gonna get any of that any time soon.. A general decline in fans isnt going to bother himin the same way loosing those same fans to a rival promotion would. If anything i could see it just pushing him to divert away from the core product even more. Thats just my opinion though..

Dunno if it would apply now, but there was an interview with Vince McMahon a few years ago where he was asked what he would do if WWE went out of business, and he said he'd start up another wrestling company and start from scratch again. He even went into detail about hiring a ring, renting small venues, using local wrestlers. It was quite fascinating.

Dunno if it would apply now, but there was an interview with Vince McMahon a few years ago where he was asked what he would do if WWE went out of business, and he said he'd start up another wrestling company and start from scratch again. He even went into detail about hiring a ring, renting small venues, using local wrestlers. It was quite fascinating.

Got a link at all?

Got a link at all?

I think it was in a magazine, rather than online. And this was years ago. I'm slightly sure it was in WWE Magazine actually.

Theyd continue to do what they are doing but try to cut money being paid out. Maybe paying wrestlers less

Theyd continue to do what they are doing but try to cut money being paid out. Maybe paying wrestlers less

Alberto Del Rio will be commented on by the announce team that he comes to the ring in a souped up Vaxhaull Nova with custom spoiler and soundsystem fitted at Halfords.

Everytime this issue it's posed all that comes to mind is, it's like trying to imagine Coronation Street or Eastenders ending. Absolutely plausible, but highly unlikely and for most unthinkable.

Archived