*SMACKDOWN SPOILERS*

iamtheman

• Paid Members

You know what, I reckon Christian might win.

Firstly because it means when Del Rio wins it off him in a months time, they will be able to talk about him "winning the championship from Christian" rather than "winning the vacant title" which makes him look a little stronger to some people - as it stands, he would only be winning the title because the bloke he was chasing (and couldn't beat) was forced to retire.

Secondly, I bet on his way out, Edge might have asked really nicely. "Guys, please give me a big mark out moment and let me see my best mate win the big one." And they'll do it. We all know Misterio only won the belt in 2006 because it was in Eddie's will.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Firstly because it means when Del Rio wins it off him in a months time, they will be able to talk about him "winning the championship from Christian" rather than "winning the vacant title" which makes him look a little stronger to some people - as it stands, he would only be winning the title because the bloke he was chasing (and couldn't beat) was forced to retire.

Secondly, I bet on his way out, Edge might have asked really nicely. "Guys, please give me a big mark out moment and let me see my best mate win the big one." And they'll do it. We all know Misterio only won the belt in 2006 because it was in Eddie's will.

I think it's definitely a possibility. On the other hand though, you could stick the title on Del Rio for a couple of months and keep building up Christian in that time before switching the strap over to him in another potential mark out moment.

I think it's definitely a possibility. On the other hand though, you could stick the title on Del Rio for a couple of months and keep building up Christian in that time before switching the strap over to him in another potential mark out moment.

I wonder if they will wait until Summerslam until they give Del Rio the belt, it might make it seem like a bigger occasion or something.

• Paid Members
It makes more sense for Christian to be chasing the title against ADR than it does for ADR to be the chaser.

I'd say that's bang on the money to be fair. They key though is building Christian back up to the level of a potential title challenger. He's over with the fans and gets good reactions, but I still feel he needs to recapture some of the momentum he had from his 2005 heel run. Definately do-able in a couple of months though.

• Paid Members
It makes more sense for Christian to be chasing the title against ADR than it does for ADR to be the chaser.

I disagree. I don't think there is any value in Christian chasing or that anyone would believe Christian would have a chance against Del Rio, or indeed as the challenger full stop, because the way he has seemingly been positioned as midcarder-for-life and only recently around the main event picture due to his long-standing friendship with Edge, who was a main eventer.

I don't especially see any "chase" whatsoever, I expect Del Rio to take the title off Christian practically the next chance he gets. I just think they may cave in and give Christian his moment in the son - at his BFFs polite urging - at the PPV, especially since it's "only" a ladder match and Del Rio can put him down properly next time and start his run being chased by proper main eventers. If they can find a few.

• Paid Members

I'd say that's bang on the money to be fair. They key though is building Christian back up to the level of a potential title challenger. He's over with the fans and gets good reactions, but I still feel he needs to recapture some of the momentum he had from his 2005 heel run. Definately do-able in a couple of months though.

Exactly...a HEEL run.

I'll mark out if Christian wins the title, and I haven't done that for a title change in years.

I'd like to see Christian beat ADR, and turn heel the following episode of Smackdown. Christian's an incredible heel, and I think he could build up enormous momentum as an asshole heel champion (much like Miz) before he eventually faces whoever is the top Smackdown face at one of the big PPVs. Perhaps Randy Orton? Or John Morrison? Del Rio bores me slightly. He's either a poor man's JBL, or a poor man's Eddie Guerrero, I can't decide.

Exactly...a HEEL run.

I'll mark out if Christian wins the title, and I haven't done that for a title change in years.

I'd like to see Christian beat ADR, and turn heel the following episode of Smackdown. Christian's an incredible heel, and I think he could build up enormous momentum as an asshole heel champion (much like Miz) before he eventually faces whoever is the top Smackdown face at one of the big PPVs. Perhaps Randy Orton? Or John Morrison? Del Rio bores me slightly. He's either a poor man's JBL, or a poor man's Eddie Guerrero, I can't decide.

I think they will need to wait until after the draft if they want to turn Christian heel, so they can bring Orton over. I don't know if they will want to risk turning him though, as he is very popular. You would probably get the reverse effect, where heel Christian gets cheered and babyface Orton (or whoever else is in that role, Morrison possibly) would get the boo's.

• Paid Members
Why are people clamouring for Christian to be a world champion? He is painfully average and should never be above IC title level.

That's really harsh. The Intercontinental title currently has so little value it should be defended on Superstars.

• Paid Members

I loved his ECW run, some might say he's a bit bland, but i thought his ECW championship reign showed he can work damn hard, and make others look good. (Not that some of the challengers were crap, but his matches with Swagger and Ryder for the title were crackers, as well as dragging a good match out of Dreamer.)

Do you think they'd have Del Rio as challenger three months in a row?

Archived