*SMACKDOWN SPOILERS*

iamtheman

• Paid Members
Do you think they'd have Del Rio as challenger three months in a row?

Ordinarily I'd say no, needing three cracks in succession to finally win would make Del Rio weak. But winning the title by beating Christian isn't going to be the best start to a reign either way. They would be giving Christian a cursory reign for a feelgood moment, not out of any semblance of logic.

In fact, why even wait until the next pay per view? Have Alberto unseat Captain Charisma two weeks later on SmackDown. Problem solved.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think if the plan is to have the title on Alberto within the next couple of months, the ladder match is the time to do it. Another loss to Christian does Bertie no favours.

No but it does Christian a lot, and SmackDown! is kinda lacking for topline faces right now. If they are ever going to pull the trigger on Christian they need to do it now, milking Edge's retirement for all its worth and putting him over strong.

Personally I'd give the fans their feelgood moment with Christian winning and dedicating the moment to Edge, and take Del Rio off the boil for a few weeks. Then move him to Raw in the draft and renew his push there. I don't see any harm in him chasing for a while longer, as long as they keep him looking like a threat in other ways. A heel choking in a few big matches isn't a problem for me. I think the plan probably was for him to beat Edge in the next couple of months, but they'd do much better to delay that for a while now, and have him beat a big name for his first title, in a well developed feud. Whooping Christian for a vacant title is gonna be a bit of an anti-climax.

I wouldn't, because Christian is a horrible mid-card schmuck. No point having him clown around with the title for a few weeks.

I'd rather they used the residue nostalgia to put Del Rio over as a horrible bastard who crushed his opponent's planned tribute for his best friend. Del Rio's been good this year but he needs something like that on his CV to take him to the next level.

I'd probably have Christian win too.

Mostly because i'm a massive Christian mark, but also because I think the boat for Del Rio and the WHC has well and truly been missed and it won't really mean anything if he wins it now. You don't necessarily need to win a title to become synonymous with it, you just need to hang round it enough, and when that happens winning it means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. For all intents and purposes Christian is fresher to the WHC scene, and his winning would actually matter.

I'd have Christian win, maybe roll out Edge at the end of the PPV for an Eddie/Benoit moment whilst Del Rio goes bonkers in the aisle.

Then, on the following Smackdown have Christian come out at the start of the show and cut an even smushier promo about a) how much he loves Edge and b) how long he's dreamt of holding the prestigious belt. Cue ADR coming out and demanding a rematch, only for Teddy Long to pop out and say that Del Rio has had enough chances. Then, have the two split up with ADR embarking on a feud with GM Teddy, maybe predicated on ADR's desire to get out of his contract and move to Raw but Teddy denying him that opportunity. Then, you'd have to whip out a token face to stand up for Teddy. IN FACT, i'd have ADR/Brodus/Ricardo circling Teddy in the ring, about to give him a beating only for Booker T to get from behind the announce table and stand up for Teddy.

As for Christian, i'd capitalise on the growing dissension within the Corre and have a rotating feud of Christian against The Corre, only they can't decide who gets the shot. Perhaps, even have a multi-man number one contenders match (Smackdown loves those) where it comes down to Barrett/Big Zeke/someone in the middle of the ring and Zeke/Barrett pinning the someone at the same time. Then, at Over The Limit have Barrett vs. Big Zeke w/ Christian as special enforcer with the winner going on to face Christian in the main event (in a steel cage so it is sans interference).

So, i'm definitely rambling but my contribution to Over The Limit would be Del Rio vs. Booker (where if ADR wins he gets to fuck off to Raw), Zeke vs. Barrett w/Christian as special enforcer and Barrett vs. Christian in a steel cage.

...Wow, I like gimmicks.

No but it does Christian a lot, and SmackDown! is kinda lacking for topline faces right now. If they are ever going to pull the trigger on Christian they need to do it now, milking Edge's retirement for all its worth and putting him over strong.

I agree that now's the time to go with Christian if they're ever going to. I just don't see the point in doing it the way air_raid's on about, with Del Rio winning the belt off him a few weeks later.

I wanted to see Christian in the title scene as soon as he returned in 2009 and I think its fair to say he has paid his dues since he came back and hasn't been given the chance he presumably would have received had he stuck around back in 05. I'm a little dissapointed that a heel turn and feud with Edge has become a lost opportunity but a title reign could make Christian valuable to the brand and give him a solid purpose for the first time in a while.

• Paid Members
I agree that now's the time to go with Christian if they're ever going to. I just don't see the point in doing it the way air_raid's on about, with Del Rio winning the belt off him a few weeks later.

I don't think its a good idea, I just think it's a possibility. They don't really want Christian to have a run at all, its just a footnote / moment. Mostly to placate Edge. Del Rio will win the belt whether its at Extreme Rules, two weeks later or in a PPV rematch.

Reading others' contributions I would actually go down the route of drafting Del Rio to Raw after a hysterical fit after failing to win the Big Gold Belt and waiting until then to give him a title reign. If creative are as high on him as we all seem to think they are, then they'll fancy seeing how he does on the live / flagship show. He'd be better judged up against any of Cena/Orton/Miz than what's left on SmackDown at present, given that he's already fought Misterio to the point of boredom, Edge is finished and Christian isn't a real main eventer.

Is Heath Slater still going with the 'One Man Rock Band' gimmick or has he been repackaged as a slack-jawed faggot?

Hoping Del Rio climbs the mountain and acheives his destiny. The guy could be a star but now may need to be rebuilt after his burial at Mania (really struggling to see why they bothered doing that now)

Good to see messrs Barreta and Hawkins in the main event. Was pulling for them all the while knowing Christian had it in the bag.

I don't think its a good idea, I just think it's a possibility. They don't really want Christian to have a run at all, its just a footnote / moment. Mostly to placate Edge. Del Rio will win the belt whether its at Extreme Rules, two weeks later or in a PPV rematch.

Reading others' contributions I would actually go down the route of drafting Del Rio to Raw after a hysterical fit after failing to win the Big Gold Belt and waiting until then to give him a title reign. If creative are as high on him as we all seem to think they are, then they'll fancy seeing how he does on the live / flagship show. He'd be better judged up against any of Cena/Orton/Miz than what's left on SmackDown at present, given that he's already fought Misterio to the point of boredom, Edge is finished and Christian isn't a real main eventer.

You don't think there's any chance of Orton going to Smackdown in the draft?

• Paid Members
You don't think there's any chance of Orton going to Smackdown in the draft?

Hadn't given much thought to who goes the other way, but they surely need something. He makes the most sense too, since they won't take Cena off the flagship, and it gives chance to keep Orton and Cena apart to build towards a dream match (they think) between Cena and Orton, this decade's Austin vs Rock (they think).

Quick thought re Edge but couldnt he have put his best mate over for the belt before he retired? If it was a sudden thing then fine but surely if he has been capable of wrestling for months since his last ijury surely he can afford one more match, even a 15 minute match on SmackDown! to go out ona high and give his mate the ultimate thank you?

Im guessing either they knew for a while and in which case still put Edge over at Mania, which doesnt make sense or it was a very sudden thing, ie straight after Mania, but surely hes not in that bad a state to just put Christian over?

Archived