The Official Nintendo 3DS Thread

Sym

So who bought one then? I managed to resist the temptation for approximately 3 days but eventually caved and got one this morning! Its charging currently but I did do the set up and it appears I can see the 3D on the highest setting! Score!

I got Street Fighter 3D and Pilot Wings with it but am yet to play either! If I'm honest I am more excited about what's upcoming and can't wait for them to add the shop and browser!

Did anyone else get one? If so, any impressions?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Well, I pre-ordered one on Amazon, and it's still to arrive. Shitty HDNL managed to deliver the game I bought with it on Saturday, but to the wrong address with "my" signature. It's been resent, but guttingly, via the same delivery method. The console's supposed to arrive today, but I'm at Uni so God knows if it'll arrive when I'm here. I suspect it won't, and I'll be spending another frustrating afternoon complaining to Amazon.

I've got it with Pro Evo. I managed to get a deal for the 3DS and game for less than 200. The 3D is great on the game and i'm enjoying it so far. It's a football game so not alot different from others but by far the best handheld one i've played. I decided to get it over Streetfighter, Ridge Racer or Pilotwings, all of which have had decent reviews.

The little cards you get with the console are fun to play with and showcase the 3D well.

• Paid Members

Noob question, but what can you actually do on one of these aside from play games in 3D?

I was in Game last week and the woman behind the counter was trying to get me to preorder one, I didn't really want to listen to her ptich so cut her off.

I've never been a fan of hand held systems in the past. Whats different about this aside from the 3D?

I've had a chance to trial one twice.

Once in HMV where they only let me play the shitty in-built Face Raiders game or whatever it was. It wasn't bad per se, but obviously I was far more interested in trying the 'real' games.

Then at the weekend I got to try one in Game in the basement of Hamleys, and this was with Ridge Racer. I did a whole race, messed around with the different depths of 3D, and found I coped very well with it on full 3D. It was far better than I expected it to be.

I believe my gf is getting one for her birthday next month so I'll just get a couple of games and steal hers.

• Paid Members
Noob question, but what can you actually do on one of these aside from play games in 3D?

I was in Game last week and the woman behind the counter was trying to get me to preorder one, I didn't really want to listen to her ptich so cut her off.

I've never been a fan of hand held systems in the past. Whats different about this aside from the 3D?

You can play games in 2D :laugh:

Na, just kidding. But you can do that, it's fully compatible with the other DS and DSi too so all your old games are still playable. In terms of other things it has on it, I don't know every last detail but ones I've seen or found are -

A pedometer.

It sounds shit, but they've oddly put it to good use. You have game coins on the main DS system and for every 100 steps it counts you get a coin. With the coins you can buy new clothes and stuff for your Mii, new games for the AR Cards that come with it such as fishing and stuff.

It also functions in some current games out with it, such as Nintendogs. Instead of walking your dog via the screen you can use a pedometer option, stick it in your pocket and go for an actual walk. That way your dog can interact with other people you pass in the street if they have a 3DS, or if you pass a house or building with Wi-Fi, it connects to it and receives special items and presents. If you pass someone who has one of the dogs from the other games, they become available in your kennel to buy.

Virtual Console and DsiWare.

I'll assume you don't know what these are, just to explain them. If you do then you don't need to read this one :thumbsup:

The VC will be making classic Gameboy/colour/advance games available to download, and I'm sure there was mention of the SNES and stuff too. This means at some point you'll probably be able to download Mario and the 6 Golden Coins or Pokemon Red/Blue at some point which is good. The DSiWare is all original games, similar to the Xbox Arcade. From what I've heard some of the games on it are quite good, but I didn't have a DSi so I have no idea. Either way they both sound like top editions.

MP3 Player.

I wasn't impressed when I only heard "Mp3 player" either but after a look around it turns out it's way more than that. The 3DS uses an SD card to save stuff onto, this includes music. If you go on say a bus or a train, or even walking down the street listening to it and you pass someone else doing the same, the 3DS swaps data with them. It tells them what your latest playlist was, and what age you were or where you were from and stuff. There's also some mad visuals on the MP3 including stuff like characters running across the soundwaves and stuff.

Other stuff that doesn't need much explanation include -

Internet Browsing

Activity Log

Mii creator

3DS messaging

Also, I know you said that isn't 3D, but it's worth pointing out they're bringing 3D movies out to download, like Toy Story 3 and How To Train Your Dragon to name a couple. Fully 3D compatible.

You can play all current 3DS games in 2D too, so if it hurts your eyes or just don't like it then you can still enjoy them. Obviously the effects aren't as good, but the graphics stay the same from what I've played personally.

-------------------------

To answer the thread question, I bought one this early purely because of the deal in Tesco. I got a 3DS and Nintendogs for

I bought one on Friday but oddly haven't got much use out of it yet. I got The Sims 3 which I've enjoyed a bit but need to wait until I've got a hefty chunk of spare time to get into it properly, and also Ghost Recon which is probably getting traded in because it's not my kind of game at all (I didn't realise it was turn-based strategy - it bores me to tears).

It was loads of fun when I took it to my mate's house the other day though - we all took photos of each other and played Face Raiders, running round the room shooting each other.

Haven't had any hits on StreetPass yet, despite being in the city centre loads over the weekend. Disappointing, but I guess it's still early days. I'm guessing the 3DS as a whole will come into its own when more people get round to buying one, and when developers get the hang of making games for it. Should've waited a year to buy one, really...

• Paid Members
Unfortunately I'm saving money for a deposit right now, so I can't afford to buy one, but from what I've heard it'sreally not worth buying one yet as the launch games are pretty awful.

I wouldn't say that. Plus the price seems to be going up, so I'm glad I risked the pre-order. Mine came, and I'm very impressed. The installed software is great fun, and I'm amazed at just how good they've managed to make Super Street Fighter IV. Might just be because it's portable, but I'm actually enjoying it more than the 360 version. Great fun.

As for Pilotwings, that's also pretty good. The 3D effect in the game is VERY good, and it hasn't given me any ill side effects at all. However, both SSIV and Pilotwings could have worked in 2D. The installed software shows the true potential of the 3D/gyroscope and camera functions. I hope other games exploit that. I've no doubt the inevitable Warioware title will, but there's much potential for some unique games with the system.

Unfortunately I'm saving money for a deposit right now, so I can't afford to buy one, but from what I've heard it'sreally not worth buying one yet as the launch games are pretty awful.

I wouldn't say that. Plus the price seems to be going up, so I'm glad I risked the pre-order. Mine came, and I'm very impressed. The installed software is great fun, and I'm amazed at just how good they've managed to make Super Street Fighter IV. Might just be because it's portable, but I'm actually enjoying it more than the 360 version. Great fun.

As for Pilotwings, that's also pretty good. The 3D effect in the game is VERY good, and it hasn't given me any ill side effects at all. However, both SSIV and Pilotwings could have worked in 2D. The installed software shows the true potential of the 3D/gyroscope and camera functions. I hope other games exploit that. I've no doubt the inevitable Warioware title will, but there's much potential for some unique games with the system.

I watched Ashen's review on youtube earlier. He said that Pilot wings is apparently rediculously short and not worth the price. I was very impressed with the built in games (appart from the awful looking camera quality), but from all the things I've read the launch games are all pretty poor/identical to existing games. I'd say you'd be better off waiting til he next price dip.

I watched Ashen's review on youtube earlier. He said that Pilot wings is apparently rediculously short and not worth the price. I was very impressed with the built in games (appart from the awful looking camera quality), but from all the things I've read the launch games are all pretty poor/identical to existing games. I'd say you'd be better off waiting til he next price dip.

Yeah I read a few reviews of Pilotwings that all ranged in the 70-79% mark, I had a go on one today in Oxford Street and I found Pilotwings to be a bit.. meh. Managed to grab a go on Super Street Fighter IV and that on the other hand was great, but it could have worked in 2D.

I'll still get one I'm sure at some point, but I'll wait for some Mario goodness to be released first.

Archived