The Official Nintendo 3DS Thread

Sym

• Paid Members
Unfortunately I'm saving money for a deposit right now, so I can't afford to buy one, but from what I've heard it'sreally not worth buying one yet as the launch games are pretty awful.

I wouldn't say that. Plus the price seems to be going up, so I'm glad I risked the pre-order. Mine came, and I'm very impressed. The installed software is great fun, and I'm amazed at just how good they've managed to make Super Street Fighter IV. Might just be because it's portable, but I'm actually enjoying it more than the 360 version. Great fun.

As for Pilotwings, that's also pretty good. The 3D effect in the game is VERY good, and it hasn't given me any ill side effects at all. However, both SSIV and Pilotwings could have worked in 2D. The installed software shows the true potential of the 3D/gyroscope and camera functions. I hope other games exploit that. I've no doubt the inevitable Warioware title will, but there's much potential for some unique games with the system.

I watched Ashen's review on youtube earlier. He said that Pilot wings is apparently rediculously short and not worth the price. I was very impressed with the built in games (appart from the awful looking camera quality), but from all the things I've read the launch games are all pretty poor/identical to existing games. I'd say you'd be better off waiting til he next price dip.

I like Pilotwings, but I can see why people might find it a bit dull. It's good, simple fun and the 3D really adds to the game - it COULD have worked in 2D, but the 3D effect certainly makes it better.

Well, from the reviews I've seen the launch line up has generally been well received, sure it could do with a Mario or a Zelda, but they'll come and I really suspect they'll be here before the next price dip. Paper Mario, Ocarina of Time and the new Mario platformer have me trembling in anticipation...

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got one with StreetFighter and Rayman. Not played it that much so far. I'm not too fond of the launch titles. Street Fighter's good but I'm not that into it. I wish I'd got Pro Evo instead of Rayman, really. I find the built-in games a very short-lived novelty. But if I had friends I'd love Face Raiders as well.

Does anybody know how to get the scanable mii barcode from the machine to the computer! Haven't really played a lot of either of the games yet as still playing about with the machine itself! It's really going to come into it's own when they bring out the updates!

Does anybody know how to get the scanable mii barcode from the machine to the computer!

Yes, mate. Go to Mii Creator, and there's a "scan from QR code" option or something similar. Then you can just point the camera at the code (on a computer screen is fine) and it'll scan it and produce a Mii.

• Paid Members

Unlocked the Fishing and 3D Tools in the AR Cards bit today after racking up enough coins after walking my (real) dog.

The fishing is crazy, it turns the surface into water and the moon and sky reflect off it and it ripples and stuff. It's a high-tech, more realistic version of Animal Crossing's fishing. 33 Species to catch, available on different coloured surfaces or time of day. Really cool.

The 3D Tools is another coin-bought game and really displays some of the effects you can use. You can mould a 3D landscape from whatever you point the 3DS at and then roll balls down it and stuff. I don't get how it works at all.

Also bought Ridge Racer because just Nintendogs wasn't really enough to keep me interested. The 3D is good but not groundbreaking, but as a game it's really good fun.

• Paid Members
Unlocked the Fishing and 3D Tools in the AR Cards bit today after racking up enough coins after walking my (real) dog.

The fishing is crazy, it turns the surface into water and the moon and sky reflect off it and it ripples and stuff. It's a high-tech, more realistic version of Animal Crossing's fishing. 33 Species to catch, available on different coloured surfaces or time of day. Really cool.

The 3D Tools is another coin-bought game and really displays some of the effects you can use. You can mould a 3D landscape from whatever you point the 3DS at and then roll balls down it and stuff. I don't get how it works at all.

Also bought Ridge Racer because just Nintendogs wasn't really enough to keep me interested. The 3D is good but not groundbreaking, but as a game it's really good fun.

When it comes to the pedometer is it simply a case of shoving it in your pocket on sleep when you're heading out? I know I could find all these things out by reading the manual, but...

• Paid Members

When it comes to the pedometer is it simply a case of shoving it in your pocket on sleep when you're heading out? I know I could find all these things out by reading the manual, but...

Yeah pretty much. Or in my case on Nintendogs select the Pedometer option in "Go out". It counts towards both your Nintendogs stuff and your main 3DS stuff.

How long did your 3DS last in sleep mode? I was under the impression that since the system wasn't really doing anything (apart from scanning for/sending/receiving any potential StreetPass information) the battery wouldn't run down much at all, but from being fully charged last night it was completely dead by about 9pm this evening. I've only used it once all day, to check for a wireless signal that in the end it wouldn't even connect to. Still no StreetPass hits either, despite having it in my bag/pocket all around town for most of the day :(

• Paid Members

I imagine it's different to sleep mode on things such as phones and iPods, because the 3DS is constantly searching for other consoles with StreetPass and SpotPass and whatnot.

• Paid Members

Just a warning, I've started to see things outside of the 3DS in 3D and it's annoying as fuck. Moral of the story is don't use the 3D too high or for too long.

• Paid Members

I picked up some guy's Mii on my way to work this morning using Street Pass. His name is Niall and his most played game is "System Settings". He fought a ghost, hit it a few times and then ran off in terror. Heh.

I love the visualisers and little toys they give you to play with when you're listening to music off your SD card.Taking 3D photos with the camera is a fun novelty if you have good lighting available.

Rather predictably, I bought SSFIV with mine. It's a really impressive conversion and the 3D effects are all lovely. I have to change my controls from character to character and I refuse to use lite mode, but other than that it's grand. The netplay is surprisingly great as well. The only major downer on that front is that it's hard to set up a game with a friend without relying on another non-DS form of communication. An XBL style friends/invites system would be much appreciated. Still, at least you don't need a different friend code for each game this time.

Oh, and thank the lord they allow you to filter it so you don't have to fight people using lite mode if you don't want to. Some of that shit is absolutely game breaking. Charge moves without charging, Zangief's air 720 on reaction rather than having to read the opponent, Akuma's raging demon with none of the tells or the awkwardness of the input. The limitations of the inputs themselves are key to certain moves not being too powerful, so when you take those limitations away you get some truly stupid stuff going on. It'll make for some fun combo videos though.

Small niggles aside, I can avoid most of what bothers me about it and I have a near perfect version of SSFIV to play on the train. Sweet.

I'm glad it wasn't just me who got a bit frustrated the first time playing the AR games. Shooting that dragon was infuriating; being told to move and then having the screen go nuts every time I did wasn't fun. When it works it's really cool though, and the two games TripleA mentioned sound like they make much better use of it. There's clearly potential in it, and people are already excited about the prospect of tabletop Pok

• Paid Members

Oh, and here's a picture from Eurogamer. Internal memo to Game employees instructing them to go and buy 3DS bundles from Tesco to re-sell as pre-owned stock which, due to "demand", are to be sold at the same price as new stock:

lQVZA.jpg

Classy.

Does anyone collect the Nintendo stars? I have a spare 250 from New Super Mario Bros wii which we got as a gift but I had already registered after buying it previously!

I'm willing to swap if someone is in a similar boat?

• Paid Members
Does anyone collect the Nintendo stars? I have a spare 250 from New Super Mario Bros wii which we got as a gift but I had already registered after buying it previously!

I'm willing to swap if someone is in a similar boat?

What exactly are Nintendo Stars, Sym?

Archived