WWE Off-Season - would it work?

Daaaaaad!

The big question:  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Occasionally, when a wrestler dies or when someone is suspended for drug use, it is pointed out that unlike regular sports, WWE do not have an off-season and therefore there is never any designated extended time period for the roster to recover. Now I think it's safe to say that if there is an off season coming in professional wrestling, it isn't coming for a long time yet, and probably will never happen. And yet somehow, this suggestion is put up on occasion as a suggested solution to the constant injuries sustained by wrestlers from or currently in WWE.

So let's say hypothetically that tomorrow, WWE puts out a press release saying that sometime in the near future (say, after Wrestlemania for example) they will take a four week break to allow the talent to relax and heal up a bit; how would they go about it? Or more specifically, how would you suggest that they go about it? Would they take RAW and SmackDown off at different times - and would that even help?

Personally, I think it'd be a good idea, but probably impossible to implement properly and practically, especially with the whole 'longest weekly episodic television show in history' thing. If it was going to be at any time though, it could probably be after WrestleMania; after all, the majority of legitimate sports leagues take their offseason after the biggest event of the calendar.

I'd be interested to see people's opinions on this, especially if anyone thinks it really could work.

• Paid Members

It would have to be after WrestleMania I'd imagine. WrestleMania should be the cup final, where all storylines lead to that date. During those four-to-six weeks that WWE is on the off season, it would be good for WWE to do one of those "coming out" style weekly documentary series, like they do with Big Brother. Walking about with the wrestlers seeing what they are up to and what their plans are for the big restart. The build up to WrestleMania I was pretty close what I'm talking about, because Hogan and Mr. T were filmed around the country, training and going to talk shows and chatting with the fans and doing normal stuff away from the ring to show them how they were looking forward to the big supershow and what they were going to do to Piper and Orndorff. Then after weeks we see into the real personalities of the wrestlers, we can rejoin them on Raw and SmackDown with a sense of their personalities and what have you. It would be a cross between the Ultimate Fighter and Eastenders Revealed (if you could imagine such a thing!)

Its never going to happen, so lets make a rule that we discuss it like WWE were MADE to have a off season, just to get out all of the reasons why they cant have an off season. Good thread, though. Should create decent discussion.

• Paid Members

I've said this before, but I think an off-season could do wonders for the WWE just from a creative standpoint. Imagine last year if that RAW that NXT invaded had been the last in a season, imagine if the last sight you were left with was that ring that had just been torn apart and those evil fuckers had just kicked the fuck out of John Cena, what if you had to wait a month to see what happened next?, everyone would be chomping at the bit for the return of the show!. The possibilities for ending seasons on cliffhangers that don't have to be resolved by the next week, and actually let suspense build would be fantastic.

Throwing a months revenue away would be completely stupid though.

No, its not a sport. Instead giving certain talent fixed time off from the road each year would work. Say Cena works 10 months of the year on the road and gets two months off a year where he only does TV and PPV, obviously youd stagger the talent so there is enough talent to cover the workload, something thats easily conceivable with their massive roster these days. Alternatively, you could just not to house shows etc for 2-3 months of the year to give all talent a break from the road at the same time, youd lose a bit of revenue but still have TV etc and youd save on production cost too. Something has to change, you just cant have guys working that schedule these days.

Some good points made so far, I especially agree with Cleetus' comment about the final image of the last episode of the series being a cliffhanger.

However, there's not a chance that WWE would effectively 'skip' a month.

If they're wanting to protect their performers' health, then they'd be best rotating the wrestlers so that they each get a month off per year from doing house shows. Keep them on TV through that time if needs be though.

• Paid Members

It raises a fantastic point, although a month of television wouldn't help the product all that much.

With the consideration of the wrestlers' health, could it not be worked that each individual is contractually obliged to sit at home for a month?

We'd still get television all year, there'd be good gaps of people being away to allow others to come through and create necessary new feuds.

Hell, Randy Orton may appear slightly fresher and less dull if he were to take an hiatus.

• Paid Members

Rather than an off season, how about compulsory holiday time? It could be staggered so you wouldn't even have to know that a wrestler was "off" - for example, if you wanted your champion to have a JBL-esque title run, you could easily work around a week off 0r a few weeks off through some kind of angle/storyline. Perhaps a month of paid holiday per year per wrestler?

As said they should give them staggered time off even just from house shows now and again,

Have no repercutions if someone takes time off cos Im sure there fear with the mid carders for wanting time off then coming back and getting overlooked or jobbed out.

It would give new guys a chance to step up and test there drawing power, for example have Cena be off house shows and have orton as the top face but in a midcard spot with Morrison in the main event (if he has a decent feud at the time) to see if he can pop the crowd, send them home happy etc

Also guys like Jericho, Batista would maybe stick around if they could get a rest now and again.

I can see why TNAs sheduale is appealling for some guys and Im sure if they were in a better position and not seen as a joke by some people then more guys would go there.

It raises a fantastic point, although a month of television wouldn't help the product all that much.

This I'd have to disagree with. Surely with a little time to plan for the year ahead instead of worrying about the week ahead also, the writers would be less likely to throw up stale ideas?

Archived