Who is going to call Wrestlemania?

A.P.

• Paid Members
Also, could a J.R. return to the announce booth actually positively effect buyrates for the ppv given the context in which it would appear?

Nobody's going to buy Wrestlemania solely because J.R might be calling a few matches.

Highly unlikely, but it's something that could push someone closer to buying it. Personally, there is 1 commentary team that would make me buy a show purely because of them and that would be Jesse Ventura and Vince McMahon. I would have said Monsoon and Heenan, but that's not very likely.

Something worth keeping in mind with JR is that Shawn Michaels supposedly requested JR be allowed to call his final match and the idea was shot down.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I don't think having JR on commentary is the kind of thing that would persuade me to pay for it on its own but when you add it to the existing line-up it is the kind of thing that could make WM more appealing as an overall package.

I mean I wouldn't pay to see Cena/Miz or Edge/Del Rio on their own either. Throw in The Rock, Steve Austin, Triple H against the Undertaker, Michael Cole versus Jerry Lawler, Orton taking on Punk and possibly some kind of appearance by Michaels and it becomes much more appealing to me. Add in appearances from JR and JBL and it becomes even more so.

Have Natalya as guest ref - then it's the Nat King Cole match

TAXI!

I like it. :thumbsup:

JR/JBL is my 'dream announce team' because with all due respect to everyone else those two are the two best announcers of the last decade for me. Only Paul Heyman (who only got to do it less than a year) on colour and Jim Cornette's OVW play-by-play are even in the same league.

Had Bradshaw not requested to come back as a wrestler I think it's the team we would have gotten on SmackDown! (at least until JR's Bells Palsy attack) as well since I think Cole would still have been traded to Raw in 2008. If they are worried that having those two talking about Government Mules and telling Von Erichs stories all show would be "too Southern" for WrestleMania then add Matthews in there.

I'd never go as far as to call J.R. a draw, but if he was announced as calling Wrestlemania, then in the context of it spiting Michael Cole, and in the context of the other returns on the show such as Austin and the Rock, and the 'old school' main event of HHH vs Taker, it could definitely add something to the show, make it feel a bigger deal, and be another one of those factors that, without being the sole reason, may compel someone in doubt to order the ppv.

• Paid Members

Anyone but Booker, hopefully. I'd even take Matt " The Irish Whip actually originated in Algeria in the late 1920's" Striker and his ability to christen wrestlers with 25 nicknames during their matches over him. Seriously, I'm looking forward to HHH/Taker more than any match for a LONG time, but the thought of Book talking over it for 25+ minutes is putting me right off.

Steve 'Mongo' McMicheals whole show.Solo.

not even give Larry "he nayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyled him" Zybysko a colour position for the main event?

I'd love Dave Brown to colour commentary on the lawler match or Cory Macklin

From Wrestlezone.com

In the pro wrestling business, the age-old expression is "card subject to change."

However, last night, WWE Chairman Vince McMahon told a few key insiders the Wrestlemania announcing assignments that Wrestlezone can now exclusively report.

Michael Cole will not announce Wrestlemania.

Neither will Jerry "The King" Lawler.

The play-by-play announcer for Wrestlemania will be Josh Matthews, and his color commentator, at least as of now, will be Booker T.

There was word going around last night that Jim Ross will end up calling the main events, including Undertaker vs HHH. However, that has not been confirmed, and we also have a report from a major player within WWE that Ross will only call the two title matches at the show.

For whatever this is worth, Ross downplayed all speculation yesterday, telling people he won't get his hopes up, but is "ready to serve if drafted into action."

There is no word what Michael Cole's role will be going forward. There are some who feel he should become a full time manager, and become WWE's top heel personality. Others feel this heel run needs to run its course, with Cole finally returning to his old role.

While WWE likes to have an idea about Summer Slam by the time we get this close to Wrestlemania, we have been told all ideas are up in the air, although "Vince has apparently decided what he wants to do with Rock, Cena, and Miz, but he's not telling us yet!"

Josh Matthews and Booker T to call Wrestlemania? Not a chance. Booker can barely hold up his end on Smackdown and there's no way on this earth that Matthews is strong enough to pull him through the show.

If Cole and Lawler aren't announcing at all, then their best bet will be to have JR and JBL leading with Booker doing colour.

Archived